The Kinks, The Stones and The Who

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The Kinks, The Stones and The Who

We have discussed the Beatles in all its forms. What about the other three.

The Stones are the greatest RnR Band of all-time
    The Who are the grandfathers of punk
    The Kinks are the true representation of England

These are just some of the accolades these bands have received. So what is your opinion of the other big 3, lasting acts from the Brit Invasion?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: The Kinks, The Stones and The Who

I don't know if there's anything I can say about these bands that hasn't been said.  But the thing that I love the most about The Kinks is Ray Davies' sense of humor.  Some of his lyrics are just side-splitting funny but in sort of a casual way that makes it even more entertaining.  Like 'Sunny Afternoon'

The taxman's taken all my dough
    And left me in my stately home
    Lazing on a sunny afternoon
    And I can't sail my yacht
    He's taken everything I've got
    All I've got's this sunny afternoon

Save me, save me, save me from this squeeze
    I got a big fat mama trying to break me
    And I love to live so pleasantly
    Live this life of luxury
    Lazing on a sunny afternoon
    In the summertime

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

The way I would personally rank them and I love The Who:

• 1. Rolling Stones
    • 2. Kinks
    • 3. Who

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpdevin. Show jpdevin's posts

Nobody's written more songs than Ray Davies, nobody.
     Mid to late 70's stuff very underrated, from a very underrated band. Soap Opera, Sleepwalker, Misfits. Before they briefly were too over the top commercial arena band.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: The Kinks, The Stones and The Who:
    [QUOTE] Nobody's written more songs than Ray Davies, nobody.  Mid to late 70's stuff very underrated, from a very underrated band. Soap Opera, Sleepwalker, Misfits. Before they briefly were too over the top commercial arena band.
    Posted by jpdevin[/QUOTE]

I'll bet Neil Young and Bob Dylan have written more songs than Ray Davies, but Davies may be the most prolific writer from a British band.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I would put the Who miles and miles (sorry, couldn't resist) ahead of the Stones and the Kinks, who I both like. Roger Daltry might be the greatest rock and roll vocalist ever (listen to "Love Reign O'er Me" before disagreeing), Townsend a remarkable guitarist and songwriter, Entwistle one of the best bassists ever, and Moon ... well, he was the inspiration for Animial in the Muppets, right?
    It's awfully hard to put out a perfect album, but the Who did it with "Who's Next."  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to The Kinks, The Stones and The Who:
    [QUOTE]We have discussed the Beatles in all its forms. What about the other three. The Stones are the greatest RnR Band of all-time The Who are the grandfathers of punk The Kinks are the true representation of England These are just some of the accolades these bands have received. So what is your opinion of the other big 3, lasting acts from the Brit Invasion?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]Other big three? Herman's hermits? Sorry jessey. The Beatles for sure. The Stones but before I'd name a big three I'd have to go back to at least 1964.  The Beatles and the Stones are givens. But that's only two. The other Brit Band that indelibly changed music was the yardbirds imo, So my three british invasion bands would be The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, and The Yardbirds.