The Music Forum's Movie Thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

The Music Forum's Movie Thread

Prompted by the exhilarating discussion in another thread, I thought we should have our own dedicated catch-all movie thread, as seen through the eyes of some great, intelligent music lovers.

These don't have to be music-related but could be.  Otherwise, give us your highs and lows, recommendations and warnings, pithy quotes and heart-rending sonnets.  Anything to keep us mutually engaged during the long winter days.

On that note, I recently saw "The Devil And Daniel Johnston".  A fascinating portrait of an unusually talented, yet tainted individual.  I'll never think about mental illness quite the same way again.  Great film.  The music is good too, but I'm not as floored by it as some though not sure why...but I'm working on it.

I also saw "The Cabin In The Woods".  Alternately funny, scary and gross, so typically I liked it a lot.  Really hoping there won't be a sequel.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Re: The Music Forum's Movie Thread

I'm stuck recovering at home so I'm falling prey to one of my lazy habits. Watching "bad" movies  that are heavily censored for TV. Just saw Rounders starring Matt Damon and Edward Norton. The movie was nothing special for me, but John Malkovich has an unusual role with an unusual Russian accent that I found very entertaining.

Also caught part of Fargo and really enjoyed it. I don't think the movie is as great as its hype was at the time it was released, but I usually find something to like in a Coen Brothers film. I especially love the scene at the end with Marge in bed with her husband and her positive take on her husband's painting being chosen for the 3 cent stamp. In a movie with so much villainy and violence, it is a touching, life-affirming ending.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In the 'guilty pleasures' department, I recently watched 'Live Free or Die Hard' with my wife.  It's the 4th and most recent Die Hard movie.  We both enjoyed it as mindless entertainment.

I call movies like this 'cartoons' because they're totally unrealistic and while there may be a lot of violence, you can't take it seriously, like watching Sylvester the Cat get pulverized for the thousandth time.  Some of the action scenes are so outlandish and phony that I'm laughing like a fool.

Some of my classics in the 'cartoon' category are Tango and Cash, Death Wish 3, and The Last Castle.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Duplicate post

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In the 'guilty pleasures' department, I recently watched 'Live Free or Die Hard' with my wife.  It's the 4th and most recent Die Hard movie.  We both enjoyed it as mindless entertainment.

I call movies like this 'cartoons' because they're totally unrealistic and while there may be a lot of violence, you don't take it seriously, like watching Sylvester the Cat get pulverized for the thousandth time.  Some of the action scenes are so outlandish and phony that I'm laughing like a fool.

Some of my classics in the 'cartoon' category are Tango and Cash, Death Wish 3, and The Last Castle.

[/QUOTE]

I love the Die Hard series. One of my guilty pleasures is the Blade movies. I have a running joke with my wife that when she is out of the house she often comes back to "catch" me watching one of them. She hates them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love the Die Hard series. One of my guilty pleasures is the Blade movies. I have a running joke with my wife that when she is out of the house she often comes back to "catch" me watching one of them. She hates them.

[/QUOTE]

LOL.  I'm the same way about the Underworld films.  Great, innovative action sequences.  Very stylish and of a piece.  Limited, if any, plot or character development.  (Mrs. Matty has the same reaction as your wife.)

Digging deeper, I also recently watched the latest Robert Downey 'Sherlock Holmes' flick.  I kind of liked the first one, but this was tedious and just boring.  I don't think there was any meaningful dialogue in the last half.  Just awful, and I'm a big Holmes fan.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

No recent films for me, but I watched (for the first time ... I'd never seen it) "Dark Passage" with the ever-gorgeous, sultry, Lauren Bacall, and the real-life love of her life, and leading man, Humphrey Bogart.

Great flick.   Of course, the premise of the film by today's standards, and the plastic surgery scenes (so funny) are about as realistic as watching "Elf" (watched that too over the holidays, as I needed some comic relief real bad).   Bogart's recovery from plastic surgery (he is running from the law) is priceless.   

I love film noir, and this film is spoken in the narrative as told by Bogart's character, Vincent Parry.   It's very good.   Lauren Bacall's belief in his innocence is pretty crazy, and her wealth, sophistication and knock-out beauty are all part of the riveting aspects of the film.  Just loved it.   So far removed from today's film-making, you have to suspend disbelief when you watch older movies, but it's a good mental exercise, and well worth the trip back in time.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to MattyScornD's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

LOL.  I'm the same way about the Underworld films.  Great, innovative action sequences.  Very stylish and of a piece.  Limited, if any, plot or character development.  (Mrs. Matty has the same reaction.)

Digging deeper, I also recently watched the latest Robert Downey 'Sherlock Holmes' flick.  I kind of liked the first one, but this was tedious and just boring.  I don't think there was any meaningful dialogue in the last half.  Just awful, and I'm a big Holmes fan.

[/QUOTE]

re: Holmes.

You know there was a guy on ..... oh damn I'm forgetting the channel. Might have been PBS.The show was "Mystery" and they did quite a number of things including Homles, Poirot, Cadfael, and any number of others.

Talking a few decades ago. Slick black hair. He died not too long ago, too young. He did an outstanding Homles, I thought.

My impression from trailers and from what I read is that this new Holmes isn't...well...Holmes. He's more of an action hero with a working brain. Was that your impression?

[/QUOTE]

You might be thinking of David Suchet, who's one of my favorite Poirots.

Yeah, these movies are what you get when you cross a steampunk superhero and Guy Ritchie, I guess...and not nearly as good as it might sound.  Some may disagree.  Though knowing me, I'll probably still give the next one a sporting chance.

OTOH, the more recent BBC show "Sherlock" (very clever, good actors) and the surprisingly watchable "Elementary" on CBS seem to keep the Homes spirit alive into the 21st century using modern technologies.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Just watched - True Romance and Jackie Brown. Both GREAT movies (IMHO) Tarantino wrote True Romance and wrote and directed Jackie Brown. The guy just writes a great story - MOST of the time, the exception being those two grindhouse movies he did.

I liked Tinker Tailor too WhatDoYouWantNow, agreed - you must pay attention from beginning to end. It was one of those movies that can't be interupted by someone talking in your ear while you watch it. I watched "Munich" again - the Olympic murders of the 70's. A good underated Spielberg movie.

Some have mentioned "guilty pleasures" I call them bubble gum for the brain - like an Austin Powers movie. Every once in a while I like a horror movie like The Thing, Hostel or Dawn of the Dead. I watch them more for the special effects than the story.

Next up.........."Zero Dark Thirty"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

No recent films for me, but I watched (for the first time ... I'd never seen it) "Dark Passage" with the ever-gorgeous, sultry, Lauren Bacall, and the real-life love of her life, and leading man, Humphrey Bogart.

Great flick.   Of course, the premise of the film by today's standards, and the plastic surgery scenes (so funny) are about as realistic as watching "Elf" (watched that too over the holidays, as I needed some comic relief real bad).   Bogart's recovery from plastic surgery (he is running from the law) is priceless.   

I love film noir, and this film is spoken in the narrative as told by Bogart's character, Vincent Parry.   It's very good.   Lauren Bacall's belief in his innocence is pretty crazy, and her wealth, sophistication and knock-out beauty are all part of the riveting aspects of the film.  Just loved it.   So far removed from today's film-making, you have to suspend disbelief when you watch older movies, but it's a good mental exercise, and well worth the trip back in time.  

[/QUOTE]

Yoga if you like the old B&W films like "Dark Passage" and want a good laugh I suggest watching "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid". A movie that's pieced together from a lot of great older films and inserting Steve Martin and Rachel Ward as interacting characters to those old movie clips. I thought it was pretty funny even in B&W. Have a laugh! ;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Some of the movies I'm looking forward to seeing this year:

Zero Dark Thirty : Going Friday to see it.The story of the search for Bin Laden

OZ,the great and powerful:The trailers look really good.It also has Mila Kunis in it.Big +

http://io9.com/5960460/new-trailer-for-oz-the-great-and-powerful-has-us-wondering-is-the-wizard-sleeping-with-all-the-witches-of-oz

Iron Man 3:Yeah,I'm a little geeky with super hero movies

http://io9.com/5954054/first-iron-man-3-trailer-the-fall-of-tony-stark

Star Trek-Into darkness : A little geeky about Sci-Fi too

http://io9.com/5969074/new-star-trek--into-darkness-trailers-shows-lots-and-lots-of-death

Man of Steel: A new darker Superman.A must see for me.

http://io9.com/5967518/the-first-full+length-man-of-steel-trailer-reveals-jor+el-and-general-zod

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to RockScully's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Just watched - True Romance and Jackie Brown. Both GREAT movies (IMHO) Tarantino wrote True Romance and wrote and directed Jackie Brown. The guy just writes a great story - MOST of the time, the exception being those two grindhouse movies he did.

I liked Tinker Tailor too WhatDoYouWantNow, agreed - you must pay attention from beginning to end. It was one of those movies that can't be interupted by someone talking in your ear while you watch it. I watched "Munich" again - the Olympic murders of the 70's. A good underated Spielberg movie.

Some have mentioned "guilty pleasures" I call them bubble gum for the brain - like an Austin Powers movie. Every once in a while I like a horror movie like The Thing, Hostel or Dawn of the Dead. I watch them more for the special effects than the story.

Next up.........."Zero Dark Thirty"

[/QUOTE]

Jackie Brown is Tarantino's best work.  Also, nice soundtrack. Great characters, simple plot, great cast.

[/QUOTE]

Yah, I like how the dialogue moves the movie. That the actors become the charachters he's written versus actors trying to play the part. Say what you will but, the guy can write a great/entertaining script. His soundtracks are an un-credited charachter in all his movies too. IMHO

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

Yoga if you like the old B&W films like "Dark Passage" and want a good laugh I suggest watching "Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid". A movie that's pieced together from a lot of great older films and inserting Steve Martin and Rachel Ward as interacting characters to those old movie clips. I thought it was pretty funny even in B&W. Have a laugh! ;) 

Thanks, Rog.  I've never seen it, but certainly have heard of it.  Sounds hilarious.   Always looking for a good comedy.   :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid is a classic.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I love movies almost as much as music... Some movies I suggest that may have slipped by

In Bruges

The Way of the Gun

Snatch

Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (Sting is in this movie for music fans)

Before The  Devil Knows Your Dead

Just so many good ones

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Some good movies that have come out within the past year:

The life of Pi - Nice story with a lot of great scenery.This movie far exceeded my expectations for it.I had heard that it was a religious movie,but that's not the case.It was a spiritual movie.

Argo - One of the years best movies.I was engrossed from the moment the movie started.Alan Arkin played a great role in it.Very interesting movie,I'd highly recomend.

Skyfall - Maybe the best James Bond flick ever.

Abe Lincoln:Vampire hunter - I didn't think it was a horrible movie and the idea of Lincoln hunting vampires was just quirky enough to make it interesting.Leave your brain at the door

Looper - A great Sci-Fi movie.It's not a explosion/laser shooting type of movie,but more of a movie you have to think about.It was different than what I expected but I enjoyed it thoroughly.Starring Bruce Willis 

Dark Knight rises and Avengers - Just freaking awesome.

Expendables 2 - Action,action,action!Another movie you shouldn't think about,you'll enjoy it more.

Django unchained - Loved this movie.I've seen it 3 times already. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to leafswin27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love movies almost as much as music... Some movies I suggest that may have slipped by

In Bruges

The Way of the Gun

Snatch

Just so many good ones

[/QUOTE]

Good choices.

'The Way Of The Gun' is a great sleeper.  I love crime flicks with a sense of humor and was drawn to this as the director also wrote 'The Usual Suspects', an all-time fave.  TWotG is one of Del Toro's more overlooked performances, I think.

"Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" is another great tongue-in-cheek noir flick.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I plan on watching a classic movie on DVD today. It is a movie I can't believe I haven't already seen on TV but for some reason I never have. It's one of those movies that as a film lover I feel that I have to see before I die. I may or may not like it, but it is one that has always been in the back of my mind as a must see. It is A Streetcar Named Desire.

Does anyone else have any movies like this? Movies you consider a must see before you die? (Even if you have already seen them).

I'll report in later on my reaction to this film.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

DevilDavid,"A streetcar named desire" was a classic movie.Brando and Karl Malden played excellent roles in it.

Some of my must see movies that I've seen include :

To kill a Mockingbird

12 angry men

Casablanca

War of the worlds

Animal Crackers(Love the Marx Brothers)

Rebel without a cause

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:
    [QUOTE]

DevilDavid,"A streetcar named desire" was a classic movie.Brando and Karl Malden played excellent roles in it.

Some of my must see movies that I've seen include :

To kill a Mockingbird

12 angry men

Casablanca

War of the worlds

Animal Crackers(Love the Marx Brothers)

Rebel without a cause

[/QUOTE]

Nice list. I have seen all of those at one time or another in my life. Caught part of "Rebel" last night on TMC. I also love the Marx Brothers. I have a DVD box set of their best films. I'll have to watch some of them soon.

Some films I consider must see are:

Citizen Kane

Patton

Star Wars

Rear Window

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to leafswin27's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In Bruges

The Way of the Gun

Snatch

Just so many good ones

[/QUOTE]

Before The Devil Knows Your Dead - GREAT under rated movie - I love Marisa Tomai(sp?) and Phillip Seymor Hoffman

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Devildavid wrote:   Does anyone else have any movies like this? Movies you consider a must see before you die? (Even if you have already seen them).

I'll report in later on my reaction to this film.

A movie you must see before you die? There isn't one (IMHO) Things I'd like to see before I die have a far greater value than a 90 minute movie.

BUT I will share my favorite movie - "As Good As It Gets", with Jack Nicholson, Greg Kinnear and Helen Hunt. If the script was 100 pages of dialouge, Nicholson added volumes of pages to it with his body language and "unspoken" words! (Watch the scene when Helen Hunt shows up at his doorstep soaking wet!).  I liked "Atonement" too - a great story and a very well done movie. IMHO

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I love Spike Lee's "25th Hour".  I'm not a particular fan of Spike Lee but this film has a great cast, great performances and the sound track is great.

I love Snatch as well.  I'll watch that movie any time it's on Cable.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to DirtyWaterLover's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I love Spike Lee's "25th Hour".  I'm not a particular fan of Spike Lee but this film has a great cast, great performances and the sound track is great.

I love Snatch as well.  I'll watch that movie any time it's on Cable.

[/QUOTE]

"Layer Cake" with Daniel Craig was a nice find.......an anti-Bond character