The next Beatles studio LP after their last one.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The next Beatles studio LP after their last one.

I've often wondered about this.

What if the boys didn't break up the band in 1970?

What would the "new" album in 1971 be like?

Since, the later albums had the Fab 4 doing quite a bit of their own thing ( the White Album had many songs that were "solo" and Lennon was already recording solo ,with Yoko), it seems likely that the "next album" may have consisted of the same songs that were on the solo LP's ( or singles) that each member would soon release.

Could you imagine ( no pun intended) a Beatles album released in 1971 with these selections:

side 1:
    Every Night ( Paul)
    Instant Karma( John)
    That Would be Something ( Paul)
    Working Class Hero( John)
    My Sweet Lord ( George)

side 2:
    Maybe I'm Amazed( Paul)
    Cold Turkey( John)
    What is Life (George)
    It Don't Come Easy( Ringo)
    Another Day ( Paul)
    God ( John)

What a great LP that would be!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: The next Beatles studio LP after their last one.

Interesting - I never thought about that. And although you are right about them basically turning into 4 different bands when they released the White Album, you saw with Abbey Road that they still had the ability to put music together as a foursome. Imagine how much better a couple of those songs might have been if they were bouncing them off each other.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

That first album by John Lennon was a shocker...a strong album but not one of the more comfortable listening experiences.  The first song, Mother, was a gut-wrenching autobiographical piece that ended with a series of primal screams.  Working Class Hero was the first song to slip in the F-word as far as I know.  And the lyrics to God were a little hard to take at the time...'I don't believe in Beatles...the dream is over...you'll just have to carry on.'

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: The next Beatles studio LP after their last one.:
    [QUOTE]That first album by John Lennon was a shocker...a strong album but not one of the more comfortable listening experiences.  The first song, Mother, was a gut-wrenching autobiographical piece that ended with a series of primal screams.  Working Class Hero was the first song to slip in the F-word as far as I know.  And the lyrics to God were a little hard to take at the time...'I don't believe in Beatles...the dream is over...you'll just have to carry on.'
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

You know, come to think of it Mr. nut, I don't think the song "God" would have worked on a Beatles group album.

The line you quoted "I don't believe in Beatles...the dream is over...you'll just have to carry on." wouldn't make much sense if the Beatles hadn't broken up.

I guess we'll substitute a 'throw away' McCartney tune as a filler ...how about 'junk'? ( By 'throw away',I don't mean I don't like it just that it is a kind of switch from the extreme seriousness of many of the Lennon songs). McCartney was supplying the bulk of the material by the Abbey Road album so this only makes sense that he would have the lion's share of the song titles anyway.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Man, that would have been one terrific album, assuming they didn't allow Phil Spector anywhere near the studio. And Yoko, of course.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to The next Beatles studio LP after their last one.:
    [QUOTE]I've often wondered about this. What if the boys didn't break up the band in 1970? What would the "new" album in 1971 be like? Since, the later albums had the Fab 4 doing quite a bit of their own thing ( the White Album had many songs that were "solo" and Lennon was already recording solo ,with Yoko), it seems likely that the "next album" may have consisted of the same songs that were on the solo LP's ( or singles) that each member would soon release. Could you imagine ( no pun intended) a Beatles album released in 1971 with these selections: side 1: Every Night ( Paul) Instant Karma( John) That Would be Something ( Paul) Working Class Hero( John) My Sweet Lord ( George) side 2: Maybe I'm Amazed( Paul) Cold Turkey( John) What is Life (George) It Don't Come Easy( Ringo) Another Day ( Paul) God ( John) What a great LP that would be!!!
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

It's funny because I've thought of the same thing. Not specifically one album like you, but I've thought of all their stuff in the '70s up to Lennon's Double Fantasy album and thought that if they were all lumped together on a few albums as The Beatles, their 1970s output would be pretty impressive -- maybe not matching their 1960s albums but still pretty strong.

I always thought they need each other. Lennon gave the band an edge that McCartney lacked; McCartney (not sure how to explain it) gave the band a mainstream appeal and softened Lennon's edge a bit; Harrison simply wasn't a strong enough presence in his own right, talented but he needed the group to strengthen his 'voice'; Ringo lightened up the party for everyone. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to The next Beatles studio LP after their last one. : It's funny because I've thought of the same thing. Not specifically one album like you, but I've thought of all their stuff in the '70s up to Lennon's Double Fantasy album and thought that if they were all lumped together on a few albums as The Beatles, their 1970s output would be pretty impressive -- maybe not matching their 1960s albums but still pretty strong. I always thought they need each other. Lennon gave the band an edge that McCartney lacked; McCartney (not sure how to explain it) gave the band a mainstream appeal and softened Lennon's edge a bit; Harrison simply wasn't a strong enough presence in his own right, talented but he needed the group to strengthen his 'voice'; Ringo lightened up the party for everyone. 
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Oddly enough , I always thought George had the most consistent post-Beatles career. He didn't have the hit singles, well not very many, but his albums always were loaded with top-notch studio musicians and some famous "guests", 'All Things Must Pass', 'Extra Texture' and 'Cloud Nine' are all very good LP's.

Lennon and McCartney always put Harrison in the "junior Beatle" category when it came to songwrtiting, usually limiting George to two songs per album (I've used this formula in my O.P. to arrive at what would be a reasonable possibility for an actual album). As George's solo career was the longest and most consistent in terms of output ( McCartney operated for many years not as a solo artist but the leader of a group-Wings), I would say that George Harrison was not only more talented at writing songs than Paul and John ever gave him the credit for, but he was also every bit as good a singer as the other two. Not to mention he always had a backing band of talented musicians (Gary Wright, Klaus Voorman, Clapton,Billy Preston).  I know the Hari Krishna stuff may have turned alot of people off to his music , but I feel there is a good possibility that had Harrison not been a Beatle he would have been a major part of a British rock band perhaps Badfinger or Spooky Tooth or any one of hundreds of other bands that formed in the sixties.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The next Beatles studio LP after their last one. : Oddly enough , I always thought George had the most consistent post-Beatles career. He didn't have the hit singles, well not very many, but his albums always were loaded with top-notch studio musicians and some famous "guests", 'All Things Must Pass', 'Extra Texture' and 'Cloud Nine' are all very good LP's. Lennon and McCartney always put Harrison in the "junior Beatle" category when it came to songwrtiting, usually limiting George to two songs per album (I've used this formula in my O.P. to arrive at what would be a reasonable possibility for an actual album). As George's solo career was the longest and most consistent in terms of output ( McCartney operated for many years not as a solo artist but the leader of a group-Wings), I would say that George Harrison was not only more talented at writing songs than Paul and John ever gave him the credit for, but he was also every bit as good a singer as the other two. Not to mention he always had a backing band of talented musicians (Gary Wright, Klaus Voorman, Clapton,Billy Preston).  I know the Hari Krishna stuff may have turned alot of people off to his music , but I feel there is a good possibility that had Harrison not been a Beatle he would have been a major part of a British rock band perhaps Badfinger or Spooky Tooth or any one of hundreds of other bands that formed in the sixties.

I lump McCartney's Wings stuff and solo stuff together because it still was all McCartney (or most all McCartney), even though Denny Laine and others wrote or co-wrote a few songs. Except for Laine, the rest of the group was somewhat fluid. And after Wings, McCartney stayed more prolific than Harrison.

I agree with you about Harrison's talents as a songwriter and singer. He just didn't have a stage presence. McCartney is a showman and Lennon always had a certain Je ne sais quo. That's why to me he needed McCartney and Lennon or later the others in the Traveling Wilburys.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mandrake3. Show Mandrake3's posts

great idea.make your own Beatles album from 1973-1980

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

I apologigize for getting off the topic a little.  Has John's sons Sean Ono Lennon or Julian Lennon ever done a concert with any combination of the other Beatles?  Also do Paul, Ringo or George have any children with recognizable musical talent.   Thank You. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]        I apologigize for getting off the topic a little.  Has John's sons Sean Ono Lennon or Julian Lennon ever done a concert with any combination of the other Beatles?  Do Paul, Ringo or George have any children with recognizable musical talent.   Thank You. 
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]

George son Dani is a guitar player and can be seen playing on stage during the Harrision tribute concert.

As for Ringo's son Zach. He is an accomplished drummer and has been playing with the Who for a number of years now. He is actually pretty d*mn good.

A small oddity about Ringo. Most don't realize that Ringo is actually left handed. Now you would think that drum kits are basically interchangable. But it seems that there are actually LH drum kits and he never bought one.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The reality with the solo careers of Paul and John seems pretty straight forward to me. Although they both wrote and recorded several extraordinary songs, neither of them remained as consistent as when they were in the Beatles. Even with the bizarre recording antics of the White Album, the two of them had a very healthy competitive rivalry. If they had stayed together, I think the music would have continued to grow. I will always say that the Medley on Abbey Road was as good as it gets. Paul/John/Ringo/George along with George Martin were the greatest musical entity that this or any world has ever seen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]        I apologigize for getting off the topic a little.  Has John's sons Sean Ono Lennon or Julian Lennon ever done a concert with any combination of the other Beatles?  Do Paul, Ringo or George have any children with recognizable musical talent.   Thank You. 
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]

Julian Lennon is a very talented young man. I have all his LP's and there are many great songs.

The real outstanding thing about Julian is that he was sort of an outcast. He hardly knew his dad, was brought up by the non musical , estranged Beatle parent Cynthia. His talent was never acknowledged by Yoko , who instead pushed the much less talented Sean into the forefront ( because he was her kid and Julian wasn't). And in fact when Yoko could have helped Julian with her money and connections , she did absolutley nothing to help him.

He made it without much help from some people who could have given him loads of support and finincial help. His dad and his his dad's wife ( Yoko).

He had no Brian Epstein to market him. He had no George Martin to lend musical genius to his studio recordings. He made it strictly because he had the right last name. But when you sit down and really listen to it, for a kid who had so little help from his famous dad...he did damn good!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The next Beatles studio LP after their last one. : Julian Lennon is a very talented young man. I have all his LP's and there are many great songs. The real outstanding thing about Julian is that he was sort of an outcast. He hardly knew his dad, was brought up by the non musical , estranged Beatle parent Cynthia. His talent was never acknowledged by Yoko , who instead pushed the much less talented Sean into the forefront ( because he was her kid and Julian wasn't). And in fact when Yoko could have helped Julian with her money and connections , she did absolutley nothing to help him. He made it without much help from some people who could have given him loads of support and finincial help. His dad and his his dad's wife ( Yoko). He had no Brian Epstein to market him. He had no George Martin to lend musical genius to his studio recordings. He made it strictly because he had the right last name. But when you sit down and really listen to it, for a kid who had so little help from his famous dad...he did damn good!

I actually saw  him in concert in the late 1980s and as I recall it was a decent show.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The next Beatles studio LP after their last one. : George son Dani is a guitar player and can be seen playing on stage during the Harrision tribute concert. As for Ringo's son Zach. He is an accomplished drummer and has been playing with the Who for a number of years now. He is actually pretty d*mn good. A small oddity about Ringo. Most don't realize that Ringo is actually left handed. Now you would think that drum kits are basically interchangable. But it seems that there are actually LH drum kits and he never bought one.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Indeed. And Prince's solo in "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" is amazing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

A Beatle album if they had stayed together.  Hmm.  From McCartney: Band On The Run, Uncle Albert and Live And Let Die.  From George Harrison: My Sweet Lord.  From John Lennon: Give Peace A Chance and No.9 Dream.   From Ringo Starr: It Don't Come Easy.  I am assuming Beatles wrote all these songs, but I could be wrong.  ....................... All these years after the Beatles split up, I just had a thought I'm sure others have thought and said, but I never properly considered.  Maybe it was good they broke up, even though it saddened me.  Look at all the wonderful music they wrote and performed afterwards.  Maybe it was the best way they could creatively move on and peacefully co-exist.  They didn't let us down.  They are still Beatles and gave us a large amount of great songs.  I needed to take a different perspective and forget my emotional response.     

Sections
Shortcuts