The Night Old Levon Drove Down...

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

Re: The Night Old Levon Drove Down...

In response to "Re: The Night Old Levon Drove Down...":
    I felt bad when Johnny Cash died and I will feel terrible when Willie Nelson is gone but doesn't this belong on the Music Forum? Posted by Calzone65
    Sometimes when you feel bad about something, you can't categorize it.... You just feel bad. This is not so much about the music, but about a friend , or a feeling, or an affection that you,ve carried with you for decades .... And now it's changed, not just diminished, but changed for good. I know it's a baseball forum, but it just popped up, because it was there. .. Indulge us. Thank you!

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

jess, chili, Tiel, TWM, iamme; et al.-- not looking to bump this up again, but I just read this from bernie taupin ... and what can I say ... only a writer can write this. Its glorious:

Bernie Taupin responds

Bernie Taupin, Elton John's songwriter and the band who penned the tune "Levon" (named after Helm), wrote this remembrance on his website:

"The first time I heard Levon Helm's voice was in a small record shop on Berwick Street in Soho London sometime around 1969. What was it like? Paul on the road to Damascus!

"Oh, I guess I just want to say all these things about the earth and granite of his being, the raw Appalachian timber of his voice and the powerful sway of his backbeat. The throb of his tom-toms the first time I heard 'Tears Of Rage' and that wicked, knowing smile recounting tales of Carney barkers and backwater medicine shows. I'm thinking about him behind that economical kit, the way he hunched his shoulders and turned into the mike like a coiled spring when he sang.

"He was one of three great singers in The Band, three of the greatest singers in any band, and the last of those three to leave us. What other band under God's great Heaven gave us a trio of such eloquent and awesome sonic tools? Richard Manuel had an otherworldly voice, ethereal and legitimately spooky in the best way possible. Rick Danko, with whom I spent some questionably manic moments and cerebral hours and whom I loved dearly, sang like an unfettered young buck, all tremulous beauty and with poignant longing. Anyone doubting this just listen to his vocal on 'It Makes No Difference' from the 'The Last Waltz' soundtrack, one of the best live vocal performances I've ever heard.

"Then there was Levon: a voice that seemed as it was birthed from the land from which he sprung. Rich as Arkansas soil and raw as a plug of tobacco, gnarly as knotted pine and so expressive it seemed like he was chewing on the words before they left his mouth. Now he's gone and our anemic musical horizon has one less icon to cling to and one more legacy to embrace.

"We're blessed that he battled his illness and conquered it for a spell, pushed back the inevitable, stuck up his hand and like some hard scrabble farmer in a gothic Southern novel said “Whoa boy, I ain't done ploughin'.”

"He participated in some of the greatest music I've ever heard and because of him and the boys in The Band, my soul is clearer of musical debris and tuned into the lyrical soul of the American heartland and the soul of Appalachia.

"If I'm any good at what I do, it's because he inspired me to be better.

"Sleep with angels, Levon. Say hi to the boys, and see you in church."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Re: The Night Old Levon Drove Down...:
    In Response to Re: The Night Old Levon Drove Down... : Actually Chilli - I think the posts referencing whatever songs they prefer by The Band is exactly what a band is about. Levon was one part of a band that made them so great. And now he is gone. There is zero X-Factor involved. That is what made the 60's & 70's so great. Paul, John and George all did great solo music, but when they were together with Ringo - they were pure magic.
    Posted by jesseyeric

My post was WAY too strong, and I particularly regret the last paragraph referencing x-factor and faux upset.

I stand by my pro-song writing bias, but otherwise it was nonsense.

Apols to all.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from iamme17. Show iamme17's posts

used to catch the band when they were backing up Ronny Hawkins on the Yonge street strip many years ago.Buy a $1 beer and listen to some great tunes....hey "Maybalene" why can't you be true

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThatWasMe. Show ThatWasMe's posts

In Response to Re: The Night Old Levon Drove Down... : My post was WAY too strong, and I particularly regret the last paragraph referencing x-factor and faux upset. I stand by my pro-song writing bias, but otherwise it was nonsense. Apols to all.
    Posted by Chilliwings

Thanks. It's like part of me died, I'll be listening to "The Last Waltz" as I work today.

And Robin Gibb has relapsed into a coma.

I guess you would have to be in your 60s to relate to all of this.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bucky Dent. Show Bucky Dent's posts

I mean no disrespect to Levon Helm at all - AT ALL.  Nor to the posters posting about his death - they mean well.  But as most of the posts about Levon Helm are referencing songs written by Robbie Robertson and sung by RR.....it all seems very X-factor, celebrity-driven, faux upset BS to me.
    Posted by Chilliwings

Sung by RR?

Doubt it

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

from "the right stuff"

Yeager (Sam shepard)  Hey Ridley, ya got any Beaman's?
    Ridley (Levon helm)  Yeah, I think I got me s stick
    yeager  Wll loan me a some will ya, I'll pay ya back later
    Ridley  Fair enough

Yeager goes to fly the NF-104A

Helm was also the narrator

"There was a demon that lived in the air. They said whoever challenged him would die. Their controls would freeze up, their planes would buffet wildly, and they would disintegrate. The demon lived at Mach 1 on the meter, seven hundred and fifty miles an hour, where the air could no longer move out of the way. He lived behind a barrier through which they said no man could ever pass. They called it the sound barrier."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

In Response to Re: The Night Old Levon Drove Down... : My post was WAY too strong, and I particularly regret the last paragraph referencing x-factor and faux upset. I stand by my pro-song writing bias, but otherwise it was nonsense. Apols to all.
    Posted by Chilliwings
    very much appreciated.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

used to catch the band when they were backing up Ronny Hawkins on the Yonge street strip many years ago.Buy a $1 beer and listen to some great tunes....hey "Maybalene" why can't you be true
    Posted by iamme17
    THAT is a great story. Would loved to have been there. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

pri360:  I shouldn't be surprised that a great lyricist can write wonderful prose, but that is as sweet a piece of writing from Bernie Taupin as I've ever read.  Thanks for that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

That pretty much hit the nail on the head pri. Thank you for finding that.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Thanks for moving the Levon thread to the Music Forum.   I was fortunate to see the Levon Helm band last year at a music festival -- so glad I had that chance.   

I learned from reading all the nice, reverent and affectionate comments here, along with the amazing tribute from Bernie Taupin.   Thanks so much.  

PS Thanks to my Jessey, I now know how great "The Weight" truly is, and love the song.  :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from pri360. Show pri360's posts

pri360:  I shouldn't be surprised that a great lyricist can write wonderful prose, but that is as sweet a piece of writing from Bernie Taupin as I've ever read.  Thanks for that.
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich
    your avatar honors another great artist. miss warren terribly.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

In Response to Re: The Night Old Levon Drove Down... : your avatar honors another great artist. miss warren terribly.
    Posted by pri360

Me too, pri360, me too.

Sections
Shortcuts