The one, the only -- Traveling Wilburys

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The one, the only -- Traveling Wilburys

Supergroups aren't meant to last a long time.  The Traveling Wilburys fit that short-lived timetable given they were together a mere two years; yet, their legacy is cemented.   One of the many unique features of the group was the cross-over appeal they delivered to rock, country, and folk fans alike -- they simply produced great music, no categorization necessary.  :)

The sheer fun they seemed to have had might have been (and continues to be) part of their allure.  I mean, how many supergroups come up with pseudonyms and create a persona as a loosely related band of brothers?  Or name their albums numerically -- and incorrectly.  :)   They won a Grammy award without even trying.   

So what do you think?   Were they one of the more accessible supergroups due to their cross-over appeal and their diverse backgrounds as musicians?   Are you / were you a fan?

Thoughts anyone?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: The one, the only -- Traveling Wilburys

I wore out the Vol. 1 cassette (because for a while that's all that was available), and a few songs remain on my ipod to this day.  The whole album is great from start-to-finish.

But given the collective pedigrees of those involved, it's little surprise, because it all sounds so effortless.

There was a great documentary about the group which I highly recommend...a fascinating look at how when - in the process of making music - there are often only musicians, not rock stars.

(I'll note that the follow-up, Vol. 3. is less important to me by way of saying Orbison's presence on the first added some stature.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to The one, the only -- Traveling Wilburys:
    [QUOTE]Supergroups aren't meant to last a long time.  The Traveling Wilburys fit that short-lived timetable given they were together a mere two years; yet, their legacy is cemented.   One of the many unique features of the group was the cross-over appeal they delivered to rock, country, and folk fans alike -- they simply produced great music, no categorization necessary.   :) The sheer fun they seemed to have had might have been (and continues to be) part of their allure.  I mean, how many supergroups come up with pseudonyms and create a persona as a loosely related band of brothers?  Or name their albums numerically -- and incorrectly.  :)   They won a Grammy award without even trying.    So what do you think?   Were they one of the more accessible supergroups due to their cross-over appeal and their backgrounds as musicians?   Are you / were you a fan? Thoughts anyone?
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

This is one side project that I am very glad it happened. The video they did after Roy passed and his guitar is placed in the chair as they are on the train brought a tear to my eye the first time I saw it. (The End of the Line)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqhdRs4jyA

And how great is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8s9dmuAKvU&feature=relmfu

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

"Over exposed and commercialized," one of the greatest song lines ever by artists who could truly lay claim to that fame. Those guys look like they were having fun, and their music was just that. There was enough talent in that room to last forever.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I absolutely loved those guys.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I got the impression this was a collection of great singer/songwriters who had so much respect for each other that they had to get together and form a group.

Had the 1st LP flopped, perhaps they would have just ended it at that.

But, anytime you have this many strong writers contributing to an LP, how could it fail?

This was the same with Crosby , Stills, Nash and Young except solo success had already come to the Wilburys beforehand, while with CSNY solo careers had yet to blossom.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

Loved it. No egos, just friends writing and playing together. A shame a proper tour never happened.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: The one, the only -- Traveling Wilburys:
    [QUOTE]In Response to The one, the only -- Traveling Wilburys : This is one side project that I am very glad it happened. The video they did after Roy passed and his guitar is placed in the chair as they are on the train brought a tear to my eye the first time I saw it. (The End of the Line) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwqhdRs4jyA And how great is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8s9dmuAKvU&feature=relmfu
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

That "End of the Line" video could not be any better: great song, and the visual image of the guitar on the chair is so poignant -- made only more poignant now that George has passed away, too.   Amazing.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

BTW, speaking of "supergroups"...if you like the Travelin' Wilburys, then...

...you might very well like Monsters Of Folk.

This was sort of an indie 'supergroup' who put out an LP in 2009.  They're composed of Jim James of My Morning Jacket, Conor Oberst and Mike Mogis of Bright Eyes, M. Ward of She & Him, and Will Johnson of Centro-Matic.

Like the Wilburys (though much less known), these guys got together and put out a stellar album with nary a bad song on it.  They shared vocals, traded off on instruments and produced a collaborative effort that emits lots of good feelings.  It's a folk-country record with shades of gospel, bluegrass, and rock with a few curveballs thrown in for good measure.

Not an exultant record, per se, which could maybe be expected given the participants, but still upbeat and tender in an indie sense.  I recommend the album highly, as it was one of my favorites that year and still resonates today.  Aesthetically, there's some range between songs, but the album still ends up sounding of a piece.

They also had a great performance on Austin City Limits that's well worth checking out.  Enjoy!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Glad I went searching for this thread b/c I forgot about about potentially checking out the Monsters of Folk.  

Here you go, Cavs.  

Sections
Shortcuts