The perfect song....

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: The perfect song....

We had a discussion about perfect songs before, and if I'm not mistaken Zillagod and I both mentioned ELP's 'From the Beginning' as a candidate.  I think it stands up over time as a sonic gem.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

In Response to Re: The perfect song....:
    [QUOTE]I love Sting, but Roxanne bugs me every time.  I'm never in a mood that makes it less annoying.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]

As a teenager, I loved The Police -- particularly Roxanne and the simplistic, stripped-down sound of Outlandos d' Amour -- until a couple of friends of mine mentioned casually one day that the name Roxanne is repeated 83 times throughout the song. Of course, I can't vouch for the accuracy of that number (that's not really the point), but I never quite heard the song the same way after that, and any residual fondness I may have had for it dissipated when Eddie Murphy did his thing in 48 Hours. And, of course, by the time The Police took over the world with Synchronicity, and it had become fashionable to turn one's nose up at them, I had long-since moved on.

Now that I think of it, it's been a long time . . .  I wonder if I'm ready to listen to Roxanne again.

Cool

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

The Do-Re-Me song, ("Doe a deer, a female dear ......."), sung by Julie Andrews, in the movie: Sound Of Music is the only perfect song I know of.  "Edelweiss" comes in second.  Everything else is inferior. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The perfect song.... : More annoying is chicks who think "Every Breath You Take" is a love song, and makes them swoon. Its a dark tale of a shunned stalker that ends just before the rape and the last breath she takes. And one hell of a song
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Kind of an extreme interpretation there, Greg.  I agree that it's a dark song but I don't think it's about a stalker.  Sting wrote it when he was in the midst of getting divorced.  He did say it's about unrequited love, obsession, jealousy and surveillance.  It's very dark, yes, but I don't hear anything suggesting a violent conclusion. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I agree with hfx - it's dark, but I think it's loosely about his divorce.  I think the chicks that think it's a love song only listen to the title and dismiss the rest of the lyrics - they can't possibly be listening.

I still love Sting (Roxanne notwithstanding - everyone gets one pass!), and I especially like his latest project with the lute guy...apologies for not remembering his name, but that is interesting music, and it shows his non-pop, honest to goodness raw talent with his voice.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Back on topic ... perfect song:

"The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face"  -- sung by Roberta Flack

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]We had a discussion about perfect songs before, and if I'm not mistaken Zillagod and I both mentioned ELP's 'From the Beginning' as a candidate.  I think it stands up over time as a sonic gem.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

To you and I this song may be perfect. To others it is probably not.

I think when p-mike says there is no such thing as a perfect song, this is what he is saying.

I love rock music so much( as I am sure you all do), I can literally name over 200 perfect songs....but I won't do this unless you want my John Lennon impression from the end of the Helter Skelter song..."I've got blisters on my fingers!!!"

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The perfect song.... : To you and I this song may be perfect. To others it is probably not. I think when p-mike says there is no such thing as a perfect song, this is what he is saying. I love rock music so much( as I am sure you all do), I can literally name over 200 perfect songs....but I won't do this unless you want my John Lennon impression from the end of the Helter Skelter song..."I've got blisters on my fingers!!!"
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Helter Skelter - A prefect Heavy Metal song Tongue out

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I know I have mentioned these guys a few times. They actually still exist in some sort of bizarre reincarnation, but these three songs are just an example of the "Greatest Band" who never made it.

I give you the Good Rats

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxxfsBG894s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnH2EZQt0xc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCKvjw7HrFs&feature=related

These are just the songs - no video attached and we are all thankful. They were probably the ugliest rock band ever. Anyway, I hope you give them a listen.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The perfect song.... : To you and I this song may be perfect. To others it is probably not. I think when p-mike says there is no such thing as a perfect song, this is what he is saying. I love rock music so much( as I am sure you all do), I can literally name over 200 perfect songs....but I won't do this unless you want my John Lennon impression from the end of the Helter Skelter song..."I've got blisters on my fingers!!!"
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    I think ZILLAGOD is correct about there being a large amount of perfect songs.  If a piece of music has an outstanding melody, outstanding arrangement, maybe outstanding lyrics, is performed with feeling and evokes from the listener: ideas and feelings, then it is more or less a perfect song.  Of course there is objectivity and subjectivity to all of this.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Agreed it's often situational depending on situation, attitude, surroundings, audience, i.e...

"perfect driving song"
    "perfect make-out song"
    "perfect rowdy drunk song"
    "perfect not-so-rowdy drunk song"
    "perfect chill-out song"
    "perfect NYC cab ride at 6:00 AM song"

and so on....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

"perfect driving song"  -  Hard to say; half the time I'm driving, particularly long distances, I drive in silence and think a lot.  If I'm listening to music it's just about anything I'd listen to normally, so...  no answer for me.

"perfect make-out song" - well I'm married at this point so.... 

"perfect rowdy drunk song" - We Die Young, Dam That River, Grind...just about any alice in chains; It's So Easy, Outta Get Me..just about any guns n' Roses

"perfect not-so-rowdy drunk song" - Just about any Doors song; just about any 1st decade Stones song, led zeppelin, etc...  just about any music I like that isn't rowdy drunk song.

"perfect chill-out song" - Mozart, Dvorak, Rostropovich playing anything, Yo Yo Ma playing anything. Etc.

"perfect NYC cab ride at 6:00 AM song" - Tough.  What condition are you in?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I've always found "Dark Star" by the Grateful Dead to be a perfect driving song (for a long drive) ... In fact the album "Live Dead" is a great listen for a drive.  It starts off slow and builds to a powerful jam where you look down and find that I'm going around 80mph without noticing.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Foghat Slow Ride makes me hammer the peddle.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

"What Time Is It" ?  by Eugene Pitt and The Jive Five, is one of the perfect Do Wopp romantic songs.  It is truly, in my opinion, an A+ song.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin. Show leafswin's posts

Where is My Mind by the Pixies

Sections
Shortcuts