The Quietus

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

The Quietus

I'm wondering if anyone here visits The Quietus web zine, a sort of British Pitchfork with film coverage. They have a feature called Baker's dozen where they get a musician, actor, artist or film  director to discuss their 13 favorite albums. Some of the choices can be really interesting. A lot of punk rockers now admitting they secretly love some fairly "uncool" albums they could never have admitted to liking in their youth. Of course there are some artists trying to look cool but I really love that column and I always check out the site every few days to see if there is a new one posted.

If you have seen it what is your opinion of it? If you have never seen it you should check it out. Also, while on their site search for Electric Light Orchestra. There's a hilarious column by an ELO fan/writer about how to pick and choose which ELO albums you should buy. Even if you don't care about ELO it's a good read and fairly tongue in cheek, though he's definately a big fan. It's just that he knows how uncool it is to be an ELO fan at an alt rock/indy web zine. Probably the best argument for ELO I have ever read and I'm no fan. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: The Quietus

Interesting site.  Thanks for the tip!

Always love hearing what Mike Watt has to say, and his baker's dozen didn't disappoint.  I also read Irvine Welsh's list; I'm a fairly big fan of his books.

Critics are one thing, but it's more interesting to read what other artists admire and listen to, especially in their own words without the media filter.

I have a new bookmark in my music folder.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Always love hearing what Mike Watt has to say, and his baker's dozen didn't disappoint. 

Yeah, pretty interesting list he has.  I recognized Watt's name immediately as having a connection with BOC.  I would have been displeased if he didn't have a BOC album on his list.  But he came through.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Very interesting web zine. I read Nick McCabes Baker's Dozen and here is my favorite quote from it:

"I think we're quite lucky at this point in time that people are less concerned about genres than they used to be. Even prog rock is getting a proper analysis now. I finally got around to listening to early Genesis recently and found it wasn't as disgusting as I expected it to be. A lot of music gets dismissed because of how it's tagged."

I share his sentiments completely.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Yes, it's somewhat interesting and obviously a column featuring ELO is out of place.

I was unfazed by the writer's choices about ELO's LPs , probably because I knew them all forward a backward before this guy ever did. Frankly I've never understood how music can be "uncool" , it's either good or it's bad ( to you...the listener) this is where critics and others fail miserably. I don't ever think if music is "cool" or not , I just know that I like it or don't like it. I like ABBA and ELO and could give a rat's behind whether or not they are considered "cool", on the contrary, I like Nine Inch Nails, Alice In Chains, and Nirvana....not because they are "cool" but because I like the sounds they make. 

If I were a person instructing on which ELO albums to buy, I would say buy any of the first 7 ( before Discovery, which is their fall off point...where they lose their edge), and if you like any of those 7--- buy the rest.....if you don't like it, then ELO is not for you....I am partial to 'Face The Music' myself.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Never heard of the web publication (not that that means a thing, mind you!), and appreciate the recommendation.   I check Pitchfork on a fairly routine basis, as well as a few other websites, but it's hit or miss what I use / read.   RE: Quietus,  I took a look at it, and like all web resources, you find what interests you.   It's dense.   I'm not big on "insider" tongue and cheek humor b/c it "assumes knowledge", and if you don't have it, the humor is lost.   I wouldn't know if someone was being tongue in cheek re: ELO or not, especially if I didn't know who the reviewer / writer was in the first place, if you know what I mean.  

I checked their 2013 Albums of the Year listing for the fun of it.  I recognized many of the artists, but for the mostpart, I blanked.  I own one, (number 26 on their list) "Electric" by Pet Shop Boys (a worthy, fantastic album).  Otherwise,  this is not the way I would learn about music, it's far too time-consuming and for me, not 'organic' the way I would normally find, learn, and be drawn to music.    For fun, however, I listened to their top choice for number one album, and while it didn't blow me away, it's in the genre that I am most drawn to (trip hop-ish), and it was pretty great.   Grumbling Fur's (had never heard of them), "Glynnaestra" was worth the listen, and I'll probably listen to it again -- perhaps, buy it.   Their choice for number 2 album, OTOH, was abysmal (to me), so there's that typical hit or miss evident anywhere you go.   It's just their list, thier "take" using their criteria.  Sounded like Magnetic Fields without the pizzazz and half dead on some songs, and there was a supposed commonality with Talk Talk, but again, what do I know?   The group, the New Puritans, will not be pursued by me.  Still ... one out of two ain't bad, and the one was right up my alley. 

They took a swipe at Neil Young's new audio product, the Pono, on their news page; yesterday was the first day I saw mention of it, in passing.    Seems there is something awkward about the design, and it doesn't sound affordable, either.  

If you want my opinion so far, I'd say thumbs up.   I'll go back and check it out, from time to time.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Yes, it's somewhat interesting and obviously a column featuring ELO is out of place.

I was unfazed by the writer's choices about ELO's LPs , probably because I knew them all forward a backward before this guy ever did. Frankly I've never understood how music can be "uncool" , it's either good or it's bad ( to you...the listener) this is where critics and others fail miserably. I don't ever think if music is "cool" or not , I just know that I like it or don't like it. I like ABBA and ELO and could give a rat's behind whether or not they are considered "cool", on the contrary, I like Nine Inch Nails, Alice In Chains, and Nirvana....not because they are "cool" but because I like the sounds they make. 

If I were a person instructing on which ELO albums to buy, I would say buy any of the first 7 ( before Discovery, which is their fall off point...where they lose their edge), and if you like any of those 7--- buy the rest.....if you don't like it, then ELO is not for you....I am partial to 'Face The Music' myself.

What's interesting in the articles is that they give reasons why they were influenced by or drawn to certain music. In social and music circles I'm sure there are a lot of prejudices and attitudes that influence some people as to what music they get into or not. None of us are completely immune from that even when we think we are.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccnsd. Show ccnsd's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Never heard of the web publication (not that that means a thing, mind you!), and appreciate the recommendation.   I check Pitchfork on a fairly routine basis, as well as a few other websites, but it's hit or miss what I use / read.   RE: Quietus,  I took a look at it, and like all web resources, you find what interests you.   It's dense.   I'm not big on "insider" tongue and cheek humor b/c it "assumes knowledge", and if you don't have it, the humor is lost.   I wouldn't know if someone was being tongue in cheek re: ELO or not, especially if I didn't know who the reviewer / writer was in the first place, if you know what I mean.  

I checked their 2013 Albums of the Year listing for the fun of it.  I recognized many of the artists, but for the mostpart, I blanked.  I own one, (number 26 on their list) "Electric" by Pet Shop Boys (a worthy, fantastic album).  Otherwise,  this is not the way I would learn about music, it's far too time-consuming and for me, not 'organic' the way I would normally find, learn, and be drawn to music.    For fun, however, I listened to their top choice for number one album, and while it didn't blow me away, it's in the genre that I am most drawn to (trip hop-ish), and it was pretty great.   Grumbling Fur's (had never heard of them), "Glynnaestra" was worth the listen, and I'll probably listen to it again -- perhaps, buy it.   Their choice for number 2 album, OTOH, was abysmal (to me), so there's that typical hit or miss evident anywhere you go.   It's just their list, thier "take" using their criteria.  Sounded like Magnetic Fields without the pizzazz and half dead on some songs, and there was a supposed commonality with Talk Talk, but again, what do I know?   The group, the New Puritans, will not be pursued by me.  Still ... one out of two ain't bad, and the one was right up my alley. 

They took a swipe at Neil Young's new audio product, the Pono, on their news page; yesterday was the first day I saw mention of it, in passing.    Seems there is something awkward about the design, and it doesn't sound affordable, either.  

If you want my opinion so far, I'd say thumbs up.   I'll go back and check it out, from time to time.   

I wasn't trying to push their reviewing viewpoints on to anyone. Their best of lists are nowhere near representative of mine. In fact I probaly own less than 5 albums of any given year on their list which is heavy into electronic and european artists I have never heard of. I do love the "Bakers Dozens" and some of the "revisited" columns when they reappraise an older album.

I pointed out the ELO column because I thought it was well written , in a humorous manner, about what his colleagues probably consider an embarrasing guilty pleasure. No one should think I am making fun of them for being an ELO fan. Since I never considered my self an ELO fan I brought it up as being both a funny and an effective piece of journalism. I have actually purchased 2 of their CD's because of the article, Discovery and Out of the Blue, and to my surprise I actually liked them and not just the hits on them. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

I pointed out the ELO column because I thought it was well written , in a humorous manner, about what his colleagues probably consider an embarrasing guilty pleasure. No one should think I am making fun of them for being an ELO fan. Since I never considered my self an ELO fan I brought it up as being both a funny and an effective piece of journalism. I have actually purchased 2 of their CD's because of the article, Discovery and Out of the Blue, and to my surprise I actually liked them and not just the hits on them. 

I read the ELO piece and I have to say, I could get into a big argument with the writer about them, especially the way he disses Eldorado and Face the Music LOL

My 3 favorite ELO albums are, in chronological order,

Eldorado

Face the Music

A New World Record

3 consecutive albums BTW

The only album I really agree with the writer on is A New World Record.  I thought that was where they peaked.

I did not like Out of the Blue.  I thought it was way overproduced.  Those syrupy techno overdubs on songs like Sweet Talkin' Woman and Mr. Blue Sky...ugh.

But all in all I'm a huge Jeff Lynne fan.  He's a gem, that guy. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ccnsd's comment:

In response to yogafriend's comment:

I wasn't trying to push their reviewing viewpoints on to anyone. Their best of lists are nowhere near representative of mine. In fact I probaly own less than 5 albums of any given year on their list which is heavy into electronic and european artists I have never heard of. I do love the "Bakers Dozens" and some of the "revisited" columns when they reappraise an older album.

RE: the "best" list: one of my personal weaknesses (only kidding) is that I find various types of music / artist lists irresistable.  I use them to benchmark, not to make selections.  I've put effort into ignoring them, but no one is perfect, and we're not meant to be anyhow.  :)    It was just uncanny that their number one choice suited my taste as well as it did.  But I didn't think you were pushing it by any means; nor did I think you were poking fun at ELO (fans) for that matter.  

Not for nothing, we have discussed Jeff Lynne on the forum, which is why I've become more familiar with him.    He doesn't have a good voice; he has a beautiful voice.  And now,  considering how long he's been singing, his voice is even more remarkable.   I can only vouch for this b/c his was a standout performance in the recent Beatles tribute program (network TV).  He sounded incredible.  Meanwhile, it's very 'cool' that you bought two ELO albums and are happy with them.   Maybe I'm next.  :)

Sections
Shortcuts