1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: The Riff

is this a question?

wayyyyy too many to even try to pick out, at least right now

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Southern Man - Neil Young (& Nils Lofgren...the guitar and piano use the same 'riff')

Carry On (CSNY) and Friends (Led Zeppelin - Page) - these two are actually the same riff, if I'm not mistaken.

More Than A Feeling - Boston (Scholz)...say what you will, but I think this riff belongs in the smithsonian (even Cobain borrowed it for "SLTS")

Take Me To The River - Talking Heads (Tina Weymouth) - bass riff?...completely transformed the song and made it their own.

My City Was Gone - Pretenders (Malcolm Foster)...seemingly indentical bass riff to the one above...one of my all-time hands down favorite bass lines.

Whole Lotta Rosie - AC/DC (Angus Young) see also: TNT, Rocker, Highway to Hell, etc.

Tush, La Grange, etc. - ZZ Top (Billy Gibbons)...perpetually underrated roots rock of a high order.

Love Removal Machine, Lil' Devil, Wild Flower - The Cult (Billy Duffy)...a guilty pleasure maybe, but his riffing stand out to me from that era.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

P.S.  I defer to the real musicians around here whether my choices qualify as "riffs" or not (thanks for the lesson, greg.)....

P.P.S.  Add "Sunday Papers" - Joe Jackson (bass - Graham Maby)..."if you wanna know how to play guitar..."

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think E.T.I. (Extra Terrestrial Intelligence) by BOC has one of the greatest hard rock riffs.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Satisfaction - Rolling Stones
    Walk This Way - Aerosmith
    Crazy Train - Ozzy Osbourne

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to The Riff:
    [QUOTE]Black Night, Rat Bat Blue, My Woman from Tokyo, Smoke on the Water (alas, THE riff, to Blackmore's chagrin), Burn (listen closely, its SOTW, on speed, sans the 1/2 step)
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

This is funny because I was saying a few days ago on another thread that the Rat Bat Blue riff is the Woman from Tokyo riff-speedier and heavier. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

riff has almost become subjective over the years, as to whether picking a chord can be one and whatnot as you mentioned...

muse - plug in baby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncO5O37fNqQ

this is one of my favorite newer riffs...though not too new. this guy is talented. love his voice, one of the best multitaskers i've ever seen. custom made guitar, crazy zvex fuzz factory built in to mess with the pitch like that. what control!

greg, what if the bass guitar plays the riff? not just root note basslines, or even basslines with fills, but the serious riff that drives the song? see also: this song. also by muse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncO5O37fNqQ

thoughts?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

On behalf of timpanists everywhere, I nominate Ginger Baker's riff on White Room.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Hawaii five-0 theme song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrkrQXuDq24

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

How about "The Ocean" Led Zepplin 

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to Re: The Riff:
    [QUOTE]greg, what if the bass guitar plays the riff? not just root note basslines, or even basslines with fills, but the serious riff that drives the song? --------------------------- Bass is fine.  Sunshine of My Love is one of the greatest riffs ever, and Jack Bruce owns it.  Money, Boogie on Reggae Woman and Under Pressure (Queen, not Vanilla Ice :-), would also certainly qualify as bass riffs. I just happen to be a guitar player.
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

click on the link i posted a little earlier in the thread, the second one. that bass riff is so tight. i think you would dig the tune, lemme know.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Another all-time favorite: "Sweet Jane"...I even made it my ring tone.

More:

"Do Ya" - ELO

"Go All The Way" - Raspberries

"American Woman" - Guess Who

"Jailbreak" - Thin Lizzy

"Seven Nation Army" - White Stripes

"My Hero" - Foo Fighters

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: The Riff:
    [QUOTE]Hawaii five-0 theme song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrkrQXuDq24
    Posted by tcal2-[/QUOTE]

Great one!  That riff was 'borrowed' for the opening bars of "Off The Record" by My Morning Jacket, one of their best.

A slower version of the riff also appears in The Tao Of Steve.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Not really a huge AC/DC fan, but the riffs on Hell's Bells and Back in Black are stellar...love those crunchy chords.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

What about "Lets Go Crazy" Prince, does that qualify?

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This guy created a few pretty good riffs.

25. This post has been removed.