The Rise and fall off Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The Rise and fall off Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

How important was this album in relations to the music scene and David career?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Re: The Rise and fall off Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars

In Response to The Rise and fall off Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars:
    How important was this album in relations to the music scene and David career?
    Posted by jesseyeric
    It was definitely instrumental in helping launch Glam Rock.

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Marc Bolan & T. Rex launched glam rock for most intents and purposes.

Ziggy... (and Aladdin Sane) made glam rock a household name and turned up the volume - with some high theatre mixed in.

For the most part, I view the latter as essentially two sides of the same coin.

The film is a wonderfully ragged rock n' roll stew....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

it's a good thing we all know hair bands aren't glam rock...

...but that didn't make it any less of a fashion disaster.

but ziggy, yeah, he did pretty well for himself

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Agree with Matty on T. Rex being ahead of Ziggy. I will even throw Roxy Music out there. But Ziggy was the pinacle of the Glam Rock scene and took it to completely new heights. Some of the songs on this album are just pure genius, especially 5 Years, Moonage Daydream & Rock and Roll Suicide

As to the different Bowie era's:

Hunky Dory/Alladin Sane/Ziggy/Pin Ups
    Diamond Dogs/Young Americans/Station to Station
    Berlin Trilogy: Low/Heroes/Lodger
    Scary Monsters/Let's Dance/Tonight

Which is your favorite?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: The Rise and fall off Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars:
    Agree with Matty on T. Rex being ahead of Ziggy. I will even throw Roxy Music out there. But Ziggy was the pinacle of the Glam Rock scene and took it to completely new heights. Some of the songs on this album are just pure genius, especially 5 Years, Moonage Daydream & Rock and Roll Suicide As to the different Bowie era's: Hunky Dory/Alladin Sane/Ziggy/Pin Ups Diamond Dogs/Young Americans/Station to Station Berlin Trilogy: Low/Heroes/Lodger Scary Monsters/Let's Dance/Tonight Which is your favorite?
    Posted by jesseyeric
    I like Let's Dance, but probably only because it features Stevie Ray Vaughn on guitar.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I will always have major respect for Bowie. Paved way for groups like "the Cramps" who were amonst my faves for years.

DB got a bit off later with his music but I feel he deserves his place in music history no doubt (could have done without Tin Machine though)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I'm a big fan of the Berlin-era Bowie...(which I arrived at backwards via Brian Eno's work with Talking Heads)...at times inscrutable but edgy, literate and never boring.

But it's a tall order to beat the classic Bowie triad of Hunky Dory/Ziggy/Aladdin Sane (even though Hunky was pre-Zig...he still had Mr. Ronson.)

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Absolutely a fabulous album. I would play it over and over and find myself calling a new track my favorite each time.

But my favorite Bowie albums will always be 'The Man Who Sold The World' , 'David Live' and 'Diamond Dogs' with 'Station to Station' a close 4th.

Bowie's science fiction slant on Rock music with songs like 'Space Oddity' ,'Five Years', 'Man Who Sold The World' and "Savior Machine" was very key to my being a big fan , as I was reading lots of Sci-Fi back then and always was a huge fan of Star Trek and other Sci Fi programs and movies. I think only Blue Oyster Cult (possiby Hawkwind also)is his superior at writing great sci-fi related rock music.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

George Clinton & Co. (and Sun Ra) will always be the spaciest cadets on the block to me.  They even have their own mothership...!

Sections
Shortcuts