The Rock 'n Roll and Science Fiction thread.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The Rock 'n Roll and Science Fiction thread.

Taking a cue from Monty Python's Flying Circus , I have decided to stay a way from the elaborate and cutesy title and get right to the point( example- The Dead Parrot Sketch). This is the thread where we can talk about science fiction in rock, or just science fiction period.

I love science fiction. I have read most of the classics, I have seen most of the best movies. I love Star Trek , the original series and am a fan of ST-TNG. Blue Oyster Cult and David Bowie have always been favorite artists of mine , I love the way they have both worked science fiction into rock music.

Favorite rock acts that have used SF in their music, besides those mentioned are Flash and the Pan ( Lights in the Night), Hawkwind ( numerous titles dealing with SF), Gary Wright ( Dreamweaver) the Scorpions ( Robot Man), Kraftwerk( We are the Robots), Devo ( Space Junk), Utopia ( Abandon City) , Megadeth ( Hanger 18), Neil Young (After the Goldrush), Police ( Ghost in the Machine, Synchronicity), Deep Purple ( Space Truckin', Burn), Alan Parsons Project ( I,Robot, Eye in the Sky, Dr. Tar and Professor Feather) and the Ramones ( Pet Cemetary).

Favorite science fiction movies: the Terminator series, 2001:a Space Oddity, 2010: The Year we Make Contact, Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind, Alien series, the Star Trek movies, Forbidden Planet, Blade Runner.

Favorite SF books: the Dune series and all the Frank Herbert books, anything by Ray Bradbury, anything by Robert Heinlien, Riverworld series by Philip Jose Farmer,The Berserker series by Fred Saberhagen, many of the Star Trek OS books, many Isaac Asimov books ( I, Robot is real good) and Gregory Benford among others.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: The Rock 'n Roll and Science Fiction thread.

If we go to movies or even book alone, this could go on forever. So I will keep my thoughts based upon the two medians as one.

KISS - If they are not a Sci-Fi band, then I don't know who is. Their comic book was a good play on the two.

Ziggy Stardust - a genius of a character that Bowie created.

That is my start and I will follow up after my next meeting.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MikeNagy. Show MikeNagy's posts

I like Starship Troopers quite a bit, good action flick and spoof of facism. You probably don't care for it, it wasn't true to Heinlien's book.

To keep this related to music, SiFi wise, I liked O rgy's "Fiction (Dreams in Digital)". They did a great SiFi video for the song.

Note: They wouldn't let me use the bands name without the space.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In the Terminator series, I think the first one is the best, even though it was obviously made on the lowest budget.

For the Alien series, I give a slight edge the second one, Aliens, although the first one was also very good with it's more limited budget. Maybe I just like James Cameron's direction in both films. I also enjoyed the first three Star Wars movies, my preferences being the same as the order they came out.

On TV, I'm a fan of the original Star Trek, TNG, and also Deep Space Nine. For some reason, I really enjoyed DSN even though it takes place mostly on a space station rather than a starship as the other Trek series do. Also a fan of Dr. Who, but only the episodes in which Tom Baker played the lead.

Can't think of any music I like with a sci-fi connection other than some of Bowie's music. I'll have to think more on this 'cause I'm sure I've forgotten other sci-fi I enjoy.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'm starting to get into Sci-Fi more now that I'm older.I have a friend that drags me out to see the newer Sci-Fi movies like Predators and the newest Star Trek movie as well as Super Hero flicks.I have to say,I really enjoyed them. 
      Musically,I always thought "Come sail away" by Styx was a pretty good space related song.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Glad you mentioned Alan Parsons' I Robot, one of the really spaced-out, dreamscape, stoner masterpieces of the 70's. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

There's a good series that I catch on occasion called Ghost In The Shell...and "Rise" by Kanno Yoko is the theme song which I really just love.  And yeah, I loved the Gundam Wing Series...though I was never much into mecha-anime.  Must have been all the bishonen dudes...

And yeah, love Star Trek - both the original and TNG.....years ago, when I worked retail, we all based our rank on TNG - just for fun, you know.  Met a few of the stars of ST:TNG at a sci-fi convention...

Gosh, and what girl hasn't dreamed of being picked up by Han Solo in some seedy spaceport?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I'm a big time fanatic of the old Star Trek series. I own DVDs of all the TV shows and all 6 movies. Captain Kirk (William Shatner) was my hero.

Musically, I'll go with "Come Sail Away" by Styx also, although I never knew it was about sci-fiction until now, as I don't pay that much attention to song lyrics.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Blue Oyster Cult took their science fiction seriously enough to enlist Michael Moorcock, author of the 'Elnic of Melnibone' series of fantasy books, to write lyrics to three of their songs:

The Great Sun Jester
    Black Blade
    Veteran of the Psychic Wars

The last two were directly based on the Elnic character. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I've been a big fan of SF ever since I was a kid. I think the first SF novel I ever read was Jules Verne, 20000 leagues under the sea. Like you Zilla I love Robert Heinlein's work, and Ray Bradbury. Something Wicked This Way Comes has to be one of the all time classics. I also really like some of Ursula LeGuin's work. Particularly The Dispossessed and some of her short stories. As far as SF in rock, other than Deep Purple and Zeppelin, I've never been a big metal fan, so I'm not as familiar with a lot of these artists as some of y'all, although I do like Space Truckin' and Ziggy Stardust.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

The mention of Jules Verne reminds me of the Rick Wakeman album from the mid-late 70s inspired by Journey to the Center of the Earth complete with (if I recall correctly) the London Symphony Orchestra.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"It's worse than that...he's dead Jim!"

"Captain!!..I kin nah change the laws of physics!!!"

"Hailing frequencies open, captain."

"Gentlemen, set phasers on heavy stun."

These are some of the more famous quotes from the original Star Trek.

Captain Kirk never says "beam me up Scotty" , however although many people think it was used on every episode.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

There have been several inventions inspired by Star Trek. There's a segment about it on on one of those Star Trek CDs I have, and Motorola's founder (I think), said he was inspired by Star Trek's communicator device to invent the wireless handset phone.