The Sad Tale Of Billy Squier

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: The Sad Tale Of Billy Squier

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As far as Freddie being closeted - I would argue that he was very open regarding his bi-sexuality and for that Queen "lost" their American audience as a result - keeping in mind that all happened around '80 to '82 their last US tour.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for keeping me honest.  To clarify:

I was talking more about Freddie's HIV status in relation to the culture as a whole and the fact that a lot of what we know consider commonplace was not nearly as shareable.  All that I've read describe Mercury as a sensitive, private person, as many artists - LGBT or not - sometimes are. 

I believe that people who loved the music...loved the music regardless of his sexuality.  As the 80s indeed saw a drop in quality for the band, I think that alienated more fans than anything else.

Re: Billy Squier - the backlash from the culture-at-large was not only ancillary to the music, but it was ironically the opposite of the persona he had fomented: the overtly sexy, writhing, jagger-esque rocker. (see also: M. Hutchence)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to GreginMeffa's comment:
    [QUOTE]

• As far as Freddie being closeted - I would argue that he was very open regarding his bi-sexuality and for that Queen "lost" their American audience as a result -

They did???

[/QUOTE]

Yes, according to Brian May and Roger Taylor.  It started when FM adopted the "clone" look of most gay men at the time and sprouted the mustash. The concert crowd pelted him with disposable razor's!  Then, although NOT his idea, the band dressed in drag for the "I want to break free" video the Exec's at MTV banned it from being played!

It was at that point when Freddie said he would never return to tour in America unless they had another #1 here.

They did get that #1 which had also been #1 once before with the release of Wayne's World and Bo Rap....but FM had passed and Brian & Roger picked up the MTV Award for the use of BoRap in the movie.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

[QUOTE]

As far as Freddie being closeted - I would argue that he was very open regarding his bi-sexuality and for that Queen "lost" their American audience as a result - keeping in mind that all happened around '80 to '82 their last US tour.

----------------------------------------

The band's name may have been a clue

Taken in context and that era of "Glam Rock" the name Queen was about the royal family, being grand and camp...but left open to anyones interpratation including "gay" but, FM was the only bi-sexual in the group, the other 3 are all married with about 6 kids each...LOL

I never cared about an artists sexual orientation I'd like to think I have evolved to a point of acceptance versus ignorance....but that's just me.

[/QUOTE]

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

----------------------------------------

The band's name may have been a clue

[/QUOTE]

If the band's name didn't do it, the cover photo for Sheer Heart Attack should have...

No, the Queen 2 album...but again you have to consider the time - early 70's.  Mick Rock took similar photos of David Bowie, Iggy Pop, Lou Reed, Roxy Music, The Sex Pistols, Talking Heads, Blondie, The Ramones among others....

I would say the Ziggy Stardust pvttttte  that same

[/QUOTE]

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I can't stand this NO EDIT feature!

Look at the Ziggy Stardust pics again same era and the New York Dolls too!

.....just saying!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Re: Billy Squier - the backlash from the culture-at-large was not only ancillary to the music, but it was ironically the opposite of the persona he had fomented: the overtly sexy, writhing, jagger-esque rocker. (see also: M. Hutchence)

After watching the video again, I just think Billy proves beyond a reasonable doubt that white men can't dance!......either that or Bill got a really bad dance coach!

All that aside I still listen to Billy's music on my iPod...and remeber seeing/hearing him in concert at the old Boston Garden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrUD2Be2cjs

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Richard Simmons laughs at that video.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I am back - sux being on vacation with bronchitis, but you have to do what you have to do. 

As for Billy - great musician and excellent live performer. Saw him when D.L. was his opening band and with Ringo's A.S. band.

The video killed him. He should have killed whoever came up with the concept. 

My Kind Of Lover - great RnR song.

Sections
Shortcuts