THE SIX GODS OF ROCK?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

THE SIX GODS OF ROCK?

Looking for your thoughts on who you feel are the GODS of rock. I'm talking about the six figures with an angelic glow looking down on all of rock history. 
    The Jedi like masters. The individules with either an historic body of work or the greatest influences and of course the greatest talent. Dead and or alive, who do you feel are worthy of being the six. Try to keep it to six. 

In no particular order, here's mine listed below, who would you remove of mine and replace with? 

Chuck Berry
    Buddy Holly
    Paul McCartney
    John Lennon
    Bob Dylan
    Jimi Hendricks  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Re: THE SIX GODS OF ROCK?

I think you also need some of those Heavy Metal guys in there.

* Jimmy Page (or it could be Robert Plant)
    * Paul McCartney
    * John Lennon
    * David Gilmour
    * Bono
    * Mick Jagger

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

In Response to Re: THE SIX GODS OF ROCK?:
    I think you also need some of those Heavy Metal guys in there. * Jimmy Page (or it could be Robert Plant) * Paul McCartney * John Lennon * David Gilmour * Bono * Mick Jagger
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

I agree they are all great picks but for me I cant remove any of the first big influences like Berry or Holly, I'm only talking six here. They make the list just a bit further down.  

Bono? Very very good but no!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

In Response to Re: THE SIX GODS OF ROCK? : I agree they are all great picks but for me I cant remove any of the true pioneers like Berry or Holly, I'm only talking six here. They make the list just a bit further down.   Bono? Very very good but no!
    Posted by newman09

I actually meant to say Elvis, not Bono.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to THE SIX GODS OF ROCK?:
    Looking for your thoughts on who you feel are the GODS of rock. I'm talking about the six figures with an angelic glow looking down on all of rock history.  The Jedi like masters. The individules with either an historic body of work or the greatest influences and of course the greatest talent. Dead and or alive, who do you feel are worthy of being the six. Try to keep it to six.  In no particular order, here's mine listed below, who would you remove of mine and replace with?  Chuck Berry Buddy Holly Paul McCartney John Lennon Bob Dylan Jimmy Hendricks  
    Posted by newman09

You cannot name 6; there are way too many more. For instance; Beck, Townsend, Mercury, Led Zep as a unit, Richards, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf and the list goes on and on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I think you also need some of those Heavy Metal guys in there. * Jimmy Page (or it could be Robert Plant) * Paul McCartney * John Lennon * David Gilmour * Bono * Mick Jagger
    Posted by NumbaFouwer

I'd replace Bono with Eric Clapton.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to THE SIX GODS OF ROCK? : You cannot name 6; there are way too many more. For instance; Beck, Townsend, Mercury, Led Zep as a unit, Richards, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf and the list goes on and on.
    Posted by jesseyeric

And definitely add Townsend.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Is anyone else having any problems creating threads. For three days, the "Start a discussion" tab has been missing, at least on my end.

If I could only choose 6:

Lennon/McCartney (they are linked forever)
    Dylan
    Brian Wilson
    Pete Townsend
    Ray Davies
    Buddy Holly

I included Ray Davies and Brian Wilson because of the impact their songwriting had on popular music. It was almost as influential at Lennon, McCartney and Townsend.

Buddy Holly belongs because he just does. And 6 really isn't enough. I agree with almost all here; Hendrix, Clapton (Cream), Mercury, Page/Plant, Jagger/Richards, etc.

I think songwriting duos should be kept together.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

We see top 100 count downs in all categories us music so why not come up with the top six. Who would you add and relace with from the original list?

Yes NumbaFouwer, I had a hard time leaving off Elvis! 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from uclid. Show uclid's posts

"The individules with either an historic body of work or the greatest influences and of course the greatest talent. "

Dylan

Holly

Berry

Lennon / McCartney

Jagger / Richards

Neil Young

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

1. Charley Patton
    2. Muddy Waters
    3. Chuck Berry
    4. Elvis
    5. Dylan
    6. The Rolling Stones

I'm tempted to delete #2, move the rest up, and add on a later act, but I'm drawing a blank on who that Act would be.  Leaning towards 'Sam and Dave' at the moment.  Or possibly Zeppelin. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

One of the reasons why this is so difficult is because of an artist like Bo Didley.

The Bo Didley beat is about as important to RnR as anything out there, but he rarely gets the acolades like Berry, Little Richie, etc. The beat alone should put him as one of the Gods.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

Remove "Jimmy Hendricks" and replace with Jimi Hendrix.  I think he can actually serve as the inspiration for metal.  He certainly inspired Jimmy Page.  The rest of the original list is hard to argue with. 

The Rolling Stones doesn't make sense because Lennon/McCartney literally taught Jagger/Richards how to write a song.  Not just inspire.  They sat down with them and showed them how to do it.

Elvis doesn't work because he so blatantly stole others - namely black artists - work.

Chuck Berry serves well because he begat rock, blues and soul.

Buddy Holly begat writing your own material.  (As did Berry.)  Holly was why Lennon and McCartney felt they had to write their own songs.

Lennon and McCartney because they're Lennon and McCartney.

Dylan because he's Dylan.  (Woody Guthrie begat Dylan until Bob heard the Beatles.)

Someone mentioned Sam and Dave.  Love 'em but they really came about from Otis Redding, Jackie Wilson and perhaps Sam Cooke, all great performers and songwriters. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The right names are certainly being mentioned.  Personally I would have to find a way to get Pete Townshend & Jimmy Page on my list.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

To me, this list has to be limited.  And as much as I love Jimmy Page and Pete Townshend, they cannot be included because they really are offspring of the aforementioned gods. newman09 really hit this one out of the park, imho.  To go any earlier, you overshoot the rock era.  All these artists certainly have easily identifiable influences, but they tend to be strictly bluesmen or country artists.

Elvis surely influenced many artists, particularly the Beatles.  But, again, he popularized the black music of the day.  Big Mama Thornton really has the definitive "Hound Dog," but because the 50s were what they were, it took Elvis to popularize it.  Should he be a god of rock?  How about a Jesus?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Who exactly is Townsend an offspring of? I think Pete was the first to really start writing music which related to the deep inner thoughts of the teen. Not the superficial that The Beatles did or the libido which the Stones did. I cannot see how Pete isn't part of this list.

Why did we limit to 6 anyway?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

My six, inpo:

1) Jimi Hendrix
    2) Chuck Berry
    3) Bob Dylan
    4) Neil Young
    5) Lennon/McCartney
    6) Mick Jagger

Jimmy Page misses the cut by a hair.  Ditto Buddy Holly and Pete Townsend.  Bono belongs nowhere near this list.

Can't have Lennon w/o McCartney and vice versa (one could even argue for including George Martin).

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Matty - I agree with the Lennon/McCartney partnership. But if we are to include Jagger, then doesn't Richards have to come along for the ride?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Perhaps, but I included Jagger as the quintessential rock n' roll frontman - the guy who embodies the swagger, the attitude, and who nailed the delivery...plus the notion that lyrics didn't need to be clearly enunciated as long as they sounded good.

He didn't have the same vocal qualities as Daltrey or Plant, but he didn't need to...he could sing the blues, he could rock out, he could croon, and he could do it all while being a sex symbol even though - as eddie murphy blithely put it - he was one ugly mofo.

As a group, The Stones also had Brian Jones, Mick Taylor and Ron Wood along with Richards, but there was only ever one Mick Jagger.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Response to Re: THE SIX GODS OF ROCK?:
    Who exactly is Townsend an offspring of? I think Pete was the first to really start writing music which related to the deep inner thoughts of the teen. Not the superficial that The Beatles did or the libido which the Stones did. I cannot see how Pete isn't part of this list. Why did we limit to 6 anyway?
    Posted by jesseyeric

I came up with the six names by writing down a bunch of names most of which have been named so far. I kept moving them up the ladder so to speak and came to the realization that once I came to my top six I had to keep them, I could not not include them. Sorry for such a odd number, it's just the way the list ended up. I did not include any of the pioneers like Muddy Waters, I was looking to keep it rock. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Response to Re: THE SIX GODS OF ROCK? : I came up with the six names by writing down a bunch of names most of which have been named so far. I kept moving them up the ladder so to speak and came to the realization that once I came to my top six I had to keep them, I could not not include them. Sorry for such a odd number, it's just the way the list ended up. I did not include any of the pioneers like Muddy Waters, I was looking to keep it rock. 
    Posted by newman09

That's cool. I was just wondering if this was based on an actual poll that was out there.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Perhaps, but I included Jagger as the quintessential rock n' roll frontman - the guy who embodies the swagger, the attitude, and who nailed the delivery...plus the notion that lyrics didn't need to be clearly enunciated as long as they sounded good . He didn't have the same vocal qualities as Daltrey or Plant, but he didn't need to...he could sing the blues, he could rock out, he could croon, and he could do it all while being a sex symbol even though - as eddie murphy blithely put it - he was one ugly mofo. As a group, The Stones also had Brian Jones, Mick Taylor and Ron Wood along with Richards, but there was only ever one Mick Jagger.
    Posted by Mattyhorn

I was not going to post on this, since I agree with many of the aforementioned choices. But I have to look at songwriting, first and foremost. Mick failed miserably as a solo artist, and without Richards, wouldn't be where he is. Don't get me wrong, the Stones are (or were) a great band, and Mick is a great frontman, but I would pick Freddie Mercury over him hands down. Freddie (and Queen) changed rock music in a way that few people have.

No question about Lennon/McCartney, Hendrix, and Brian Wilson. And yes, George Martin gets Honorable Mention, this was almost my first thought when this was posted. Pete Townshend definitely. Dylan and Neil Young are up there too, but it's hard for me to decide. Since the roots of rock surely point to Berry and Holly, it's hard not to include them. But there are so many, it truly is a difficult task to pick six.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to THE SIX GODS OF ROCK? : You cannot name 6; there are way too many more. For instance; Beck, Townsend, Mercury, Led Zep as a unit, Richards, Muddy Waters, Howlin Wolf and the list goes on and on.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Nigel Tufnel, too. Terrific guitarist, and his sound goes to 11.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to THE SIX GODS OF ROCK?:
    Looking for your thoughts on who you feel are the GODS of rock. I'm talking about the six figures with an angelic glow looking down on all of rock history.  The Jedi like masters. The individules with either an historic body of work or the greatest influences and of course the greatest talent. Dead and or alive, who do you feel are worthy of being the six. Try to keep it to six.  In no particular order, here's mine listed below, who would you remove of mine and replace with?  Chuck Berry Buddy Holly Paul McCartney John Lennon Bob Dylan Jimi Hendricks  
    Posted by newman09

I'd add Richie Valens to that list

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Sorry, I posted before I was clear on the rules. I'm limiting my choices to rock and roll which is an entirely different animal than rock imo.
    My 6:
    Chuck Berry
    Buddy Holly
    Richie Valens
    Little Richard
    Carl Perkins
    Early Lennon and McCartney
    Bo Diddley

Sections
Shortcuts