THE SIX GODS OF ROCK?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: THE SIX GODS OF ROCK?

Here is my final take on this. All influences; Country, Bluegrass, Jazz, Blues, Gospel and all other forms of music which helped create RnR are not part of the God's of RnR. They are the DNA.

The Gods are those who are specific to the genre; Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Elvis, Beatles, etc.  And it is just impossible. Our new friend lazrin has once again reminded us of the Davies Brothers. They are right there with Townsend in my book. Buddy Holly has to be included as well. So based on all this, I give you my dozen gods:

Elvis
    Buddy Holly
    Chuck Berry
    Bob Dylan
    Brian Wilson
    Lennon/McCartney (their chair is a little higher)
    Pete Townsend
    Ray Davies
    Jagger/Richards
    Neil Young
    Bo Didley
    Freddie Mercury

And to complete a Bakers Dozen (Lemmey Kilmeister - Motorhead Rulez)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In my world these people qualify as "gods" :

Ritchie Blackmore
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Ozzie Osbourne
    Warren Zevon
    Neil Young
    Yngwie Malmsteen
    Rory Gallagher

as you can see , I am already over 6. And these are not likely on many lists of others...whether they should be or not is not open to debate, it is simply my opinion.

In other people's eyes these may qualify as "gods":

Cher
    Harry Chapin
    Gordon Lightfoot
    Art Garfunkel
    Neil Diamond
    Toni Tennille

While the second group has talent, just as the first, it's a matter of taste. And while I like some of these and dislike others , it is not my place to tell someone they shouldn't adore these artists. Just like the world of religion has many gods, so does the world of music.

Many people like the art of Andy Warhol and Pablo Picasso, I frankly think it's awful and favor Salvador Dali and Vincent Van Gogh...art is a form of expression and exists to please some , but no work of art will ever please all.

Believe it or not , there are people who don't like the Beatles. It's rare, but you do find them walking around.

As I've said before, this is a can of worms that probably would not get the same 6 answers from the first thousand people to respond to it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: THE SIX GODS OF ROCK?:
    [QUOTE]You make an excellent point Carnie and I like that you listed Bo Didley.  However, your list is 7 (nice Hfxsoxnut) so I would ask if Valens should not be removed? Software - you got it right on Freddy.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    I'd probably pull Carl Perkins first. IMO there is a strong unacknowledged Mexican influence on rock 'n roll. Witness all the strong bands from California.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Here is my final take on this. All influences; Country, Bluegrass, Jazz, Blues, Gospel and all other forms of music which helped create RnR are not part of the God's of RnR. They are the DNA. The Gods are those who are specific to the genre; Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Elvis, Beatles, etc.  And it is just impossible. Our new friend lazrin has once again reminded us of the Davies Brothers. They are right there with Townsend in my book. Buddy Holly has to be included as well. So based on all this, I give you my dozen gods : Elvis Buddy Holly Chuck Berry Bob Dylan Brian Wilson Lennon/McCartney (their chair is a little higher) Pete Townsend Ray Davies Jagger/Richards Neil Young Bo Didley Freddie Mercury And to complete a Bakers Dozen (Lemmey Kilmeister - Motorhead Rulez)
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]jessey, I can't believe you left little richard off your list.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I cannot either considering he along with Buddy are my fav's of that era.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Joe Strummer
    John Lennon
    David Bowie
    Buddy Holly
    Charles Thompson (Frank Black)
    Joey Ramone

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

[QUOTE]I think we should all give Hfsoxnut and schmangell a standing ovation. You have both given the best argument yet as to why it is hard to name 6 "gods"   ...Mr. nut's "My gods are not the same as someone else's" ...and schmang's "Madonna has no place in the world of music I'm talking about." These two statements are right on target. Madonna may be a "god" to a fan of Pop music, Aretha Franklin is a 'god' of Gospel and Soul music. They both have had a hand in influencing Rock music that came after them, but in terms of "Rock" music neither is a "god." We could name Hank Williams ( not Jr.) and Johnny Cash as big influences on Rock , but they are possibly "gods" of country music...not rock. Also Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson influenced rock in a big way, but they are "gods" of the Blues. A "god" is in the eye of the beholder. This thread has opened a serious can of worms, I think we all may be guilty of intrepreting it differently from what was intended.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Surely a list can be made! Are you saying that a list of the top 100 could not be made, and it would be impossible to come up with the top twenty, and then the top ten, and then the top six. If 10,000 people were to take a survey I'm pretty sure a list from 100-1 would be made. Now, you may not agree with the outcome, but that's what I thought we were trying to discuss here, I think?