The songs that get you to tear up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: The song that get you to tear up

Jungleland

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day (the story behind the lyrics)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

You're In My Heart (The Final Acclaim) - Rod Stewart

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

This is an interesting topic.

On one hand, there are songs that are designed to be gut wrenching. I always get a little misty thinking about Alex P. Keaton breaking up with Ellen every time I hear Billy Vera sing the treacly At This Moment.

There are many Commodores/Lionel Richies songs specifically orchestrated to pull at the heartstrings, of which my favorite is Still. In fact -- didn't Lionel actually sing a song called Sad Songs (to Make You Cry) . . .   or was that Billy Ocean?

And on the other hand, there are songs that aren't really sad songs at all, but remind you of particularly sad periods or moments in your life.

Supertramps Breakfast in America does that for me.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Moon River is a "personal" moving song for me.  My mom sang it to me when I was very small; it's one of my very first memories.  And it talks about dreams and the hope of "someday" - she was 7 years from a divorce so it couldn't have been a fun time for her as she rocked her little one.

Favorite hymns of my late grandparents, too.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

off the cuff...included with the specific lyrics that really get me for one reason or another.

exit music (for a film) - radiohead

"now we are one in everlasting peace...we hope that you choke, that you choke."

gives me chills just thinking about it...

escape - muse

"and i'll still take all the blame, 'cause you and me are both one and the same...and it's driving me mad"

street spirit (fade out) -radiohead

"immerse your soul in love"

and of course...

if i fell - the beatles

"cause i couldn't stand the pain"

neutral milk hotel - in the aeroplane over the sea

"all secrets sleep in winter clothes"

sufjan stevens - john wayne gacy jr.

"they were boys, with their cars, summer jobs, oh my god"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I love sad music.  I have listened to music when I am sad.  Not the same music, necessarily.   So tears come to my eyes when I listen to music for all kinds of reasons.

A piece of music might fill me with emotion for a myriad of reasons.  One day a song might make me cry, a year later, not so much.   

I also am filled with emotion when a piece of music is just plain gorgeous.  Just fills me up with an amazing joy that brings tears to my eyes.  

A song that comes to mind since we spoke of it recently is "Bright Eyes" -- does a number on me.   Sarah McLachlan's "Angel" kills me.  I went to a funeral in December and "Silent Night" in that context was absolutely haunting, moving, and breathtaking. 

But I have to say, for me to cry over a piece of music is not a monumental event. 

Laughing

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

In Response to Re: The song that get you to tear up:
    But I have to say, for me to cry over a piece of music is not a monumental event. 
    Posted by yogafriend

i commend you...for me it really takes a combination of not just instrumentation and lyricisim, but honestly and sincerely relating to the subject matter. or if it helped me through a really tough time.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

"Don't Hit Your Grandma with a Great Big Stick"

No wait, I was channelling the Andy Griffith Show for a minute. That one always made Charlene Darling cry, it had no effect whatsoever on yours truly.

For about a year after my divorce there were a bunch of things that would do it. Multiple songs off of Dylan's 'Blood on the Tracks" and John Prine's "The Missing Years" in particular. 

And Pearl Jam's "Nothing Man", for the same reasons, which mostly involved self-pity (always an attractive feature!) 

"Drive All Night" from Springsteen's "The River" was another, but for all the right reasons. 

Nowadays I guess I'm just too happy, can't think of anything that does it.  But this too shall pass, I'm sure.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

ph (and any others, of course), give Sad Song a listen - the whole recording is here for free.  Please let me know what you think. 

http://www.ilike.com/artist/Hardy (choose Sad Song - can't give you a link directly to that one)

"Through my grief I've come to value the sacred song of sadness that I hear," gets me every time.  I think of my grandmother and the deep loss her death still leaves me with every day.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

will do...can't while i'm at work but i'll make a note of it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

will do...can't while i'm at work but i'll make a note of it.
    Posted by phsmith8

Ah, I understand.  I'll look forward to your review.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: The song that get you to tear up : i commend you...for me it really takes a combination of not just instrumentation and lyricisim, but honestly and sincerely relating to the subject matter. or if it helped me through a really tough time.
    Posted by phsmith8

Tearing up doesn't have to mean it's sad music, or for a sad memory.  The most beautiful music in the world might be gloriously happy, celebratory, and joyful, and when you are brimming with emotion from it, as I do,  you cry from the sheer joy it fills you with.  

I don't need a reason for a piece of music to make me cry.  But the music that is in context for me, that does have meaning for personal reasons, that doesn't make me tear up ... that makes me have a cry fest! 
      Smile

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

yoga - I agree.  I also tear up at pieces that overwhelm me emotionally even if they don't make me sad, per se.   I think that's more a woman thing, though.

Can you listen to Sad Song above?  It's not a virus, I swear.  :)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

If you have little kids "Forever Young" Rod Stewart is a good one.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Some good tunes named.

Tcal hits two out of the park with The Ballad Of Jane and Tuesday's Gone. Especially the latter as it really related to a time and lady in my life.

Several other tunes which pull on the heart string are:

Don't Close Your Eye's - Kix
    Fly High Michelle - Enuff z' Nuff
    How Soon is Now - The Smiths
    November Rain - Guns and Roses
    Winter's Call - Badlands
    Hurt - Nine Inch Nails

On a personal note, there are several songs which will always cause me to stop and think and are probably the only songs which could cause me to tear up depending on my mood. 

Two songs cause me to reflect on my father:

Old Man - Neil Young

I always loved the song but as I turned 24, I hit a time in my life when I started questioning a lot of what I was doing. How I treated relationships, responsibilities and my love for all things illegal. My father grabbed me and stopped me from falling into the abyss. I think the Harvest album stayed on my turntable for three weeks straight.

It Was a Very Good Year - Sinatra version

It was the one song that I could not listen to after my father died but it was the only song I wanted to listen to for the first couple of weeks after his funeral. Now I can listen to the song and see myself in it. I miss that old man something awful, even 22 1/2 years later.

The song was written by Ervin Drake and not many people know that it was first recorded by the Kingston Trio in 1961. Sinatra rerecorded it in 1966 (I think).

Two last songs: Fly to the Angels - Slaughter. Again, a song that hits me in my life like a Mike Tyson right cross.

She Makes Me (Stormtrooper in Stiletto's) - Queen
    It is a haunting love song that is downrigt frightning.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Fairytale of New York by The Pogues really affects me.  It's very poignant and very funny at the same time.

It has one of the great openings of any song:

It was Christmas Eve, babe
    In the drunk tank

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[ Multiple songs off of Dylan's 'Blood on the Tracks" Posted by SlimPickensII[/QUOTE]

I would have to go with "you're a big girl, now"

very tear jerking

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Tom Traubert's Blues (Four Sheets to the Wind in Copenhagen) - Tom Waits
    ...such a sad song that it's number one on my personal funerary list.

Pearl Of The Quarter - Steely Dan
    Telephone Line - ELO
    Time For Me To Fly - REO Speedwagon

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

I have another, the old Irving Berlin Jazz Standard "Blue Skies".  To me that's an incredibly bittersweet tune,  but whenever this comes up (and with me, it does somewhat often) I usually get back something along the lines of "that's not a sad song". 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoverShoe. Show DoverShoe's posts

For me it's always the songs of love lost.  Two in particular get me...

Pearl Jam, Black:

I know someday you'll have a beautiful life,
    I know you'll be a sun in somebody else's sky, but why
    Why, why can't it be, can't it be mine

No Doubt, Don't Speak.  Not any particular line in the song, the whole thing is sad.  Knowing that she is singing about the end of her relationship with the bass player who is playing on the track always hit me in the gut.  Couldn't imagine playing as she sings about how they've gone from best-friends/lovers to nothing.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Jeff Buckley - Lover, You Should’ve Come Over

A real tearjerker about the end of a relationship

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

kargiver, I don't think it's just a woman thing, but probably more common among women!  Smile

+1 on Springsteen's Jungleland ... others for me:

Pride - U2
    Brick - Ben Folds Five

and especially,

I Will Rise - Chris Tomlin (I played this at my mother's memorial, with my sister and 4 nieces singing, and my mother's choir coming in for the big section)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I didn't mean to offend - I just don't know toooo many guys who well up saying, "That's so beautiful, I'm overwhelmed with emotion such that I can't help the tears!"  ;)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Nowadays I guess I'm just too happy, can't think of anything that does it.  But this too shall pass, I'm sure.
    Posted by SlimPickensII

Slim, please share.  How is that you're so happy?

I find happy people very annoying.  Just a rock n roll thing, perhaps.
    Laughing

Sections
Shortcuts