The songs that get you to tear up

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: The song that get you to tear up

how could i forget jeff buckley? nice one, jkj.
    - i remembered last night that i have a mini picture of your avatar hanging on my wall on the third floor of my place, i love that picture.

also, a couple more thom yorke gems while i'm here.

true love waits - only recorded live, very powerful.

"i'm not living, i'm just killing time"

nude - it has been a solo b-side for over a decade and came out officially on In Rainbows.  the beginning of the song is (quite literally) the end of the song backwards. not just the sequence of notes in reverse, but literally backwards tape. the beginning is the inverse of the end. brilliant, ethereal, beautiful.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: The song that get you to tear up:
    [QUOTE]yoga - I agree.  I also tear up at pieces that overwhelm me emotionally even if they don't make me sad, per se.   I think that's more a woman thing, though. Can you listen to Sad Song above?  It's not a virus, I swear.  :)
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]
    Hi Kar,
    That was lovely.  Reminds me of the chord progression in Elton John's  "Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word" which is a bit of a tear jerker in itself, too.

It's nice to see you here.  I was wondering if everyone in CC was on vacation or something ... only kidding!!   Just hadn't seen you post here before, but it's nice to run into you (and others) in the various forums.   Hope Gracie is well. 
    Smile

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

The Saturday Boy - Billy Bragg

http://batlyrics.com/the_saturday_boy-lyrics-billy_bragg.html

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Beautiful Girls and Panama by Van Halen

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Being Serious for a moment - although it is not a tear-jerker, I always thought that "Leaving on a Jet Plane" by the Mama's and Papa's was a very heartfelt song.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The song that get you to tear up : Hi Kar, That was lovely.  Reminds me of the chord progression in Elton John's  "Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word" which is a bit of a tear jerker in itself, too. It's nice to see you here.  I was wondering if everyone in CC was on vacation or something ... only kidding!!   Just hadn't seen you post here before, but it's nice to run into you (and others) in the various forums.   Hope Gracie is well. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Yoga, so glad you enjoyed it, thanks for listening and letting me know.  I thought you would.  It is very reminiscent of Elton John, I agree.  There's more, but I'll wait 'til ph weighs in to say anything else. :)

Gracie is well, thanks! Hope you and yours are, too.  Always nice to "run into" you, too.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]I have another, the old Irving Berlin Jazz Standard "Blue Skies".  To me that's an incredibly bittersweet tune,  but whenever this comes up (and with me, it does somewhat often) I usually get back something along the lines of "that's not a sad song". 
    Posted by SlimPickensII[/QUOTE]

There's an amazing version of this song sung by Al Jarreau - I believe it's part of a movie soundtrack - his vocal gymnastics send it nearly into another orbit.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

"Blue Skies" is an old classic, something you'd hear in a medley quite often.   Maybe in a piano bar, or a loungy venue.  Nice song. 

Slim, it's not a sad song, so if you it makes you tear up, then there has to be another reason.   Gosh, I am really on your case today, aren't I?Laughing
    yogi / peace / out. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

[QUOTE]Being Serious for a moment - although it is not a tear-jerker, I always thought that "Leaving on a Jet Plane" by the Mama's and Papa's was a very heartfelt song.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I've tried to ignore but I can't ... "Leaving on a Jet Plane" was Peter, Paul & Mary, not Mamas and Papas

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Carole King - (You make me feel like) A Natural Woman. After a break-up, this song weighs like Mt Everest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gi3cOw5iJ10

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Re: The songs that get you to tear up

Well...I don't know about full on tears, but...

"Don't Pass Me By" (Beatles).  Then again, I thought the line near the end went:

I'm sorry that I doubted you
    I was so unfair
    You were in a car crash
    And you lost your HEAD
    You said that you would be late
    About an hour or two
    I said that's alright I'm waiting here
    Just waiting to hear from you

(Head instead of "hair"; it was always striking - here's this song that sweems to be about a guy sad that his girl left him, almost angry at her for ditching, to an oddly happy tune....then at the end: Oh, she died.

The thought of being that man in that chair, angry at his girl for leaving him or being late, and then finding out she was killed...)

Of course, I'm a bit of an odd fellow.

What really moves me is generally not a sad song with sad words, but a live performance where the music - most often the singer - is piercingly passionate. 

When the singer projects this pure intensity - taste this with me.  When they're completely in the song, unaware of the audience.  It's like the song is playing them in those moments.  (to borrow a line from Keith Richard's autobiography, which I recommend). 

Passion is the beginning and end of music for me.

And it's not so much a tearing as a...I don't know... tingling and inner shivering  that's positive, a wave of goodness breaking over my mental universe.  But it does sometimes manifest with a physical shiver and mist.

Hell, just playing a song in my head right now can have a minor version of that effect... 

Moments from...

Yo Yo Ma - Bach cello concertos

Rostropovich - Cello

The Doors - "Been Down So Long", Detroit 5/8/70.

Nirvana - Lithium, from Muddy Banks.

Pearl Jam - "Jeremy", performed at Pink Pop '92 (Think that was the name)

The Doors - Portions of "The End", "When the Music's Over"

Alice in Chains - Love Hate Love, '91 Seattle show; A little bitter from "live";.....Rooster ("Oh God please...won't you help me make it through). 

Guns n' Roses - Slash's masterwork on Estranged. 

(I always find it very fitting to set up a playlist:  November Rain, Estranged, Dead Horse, Coma.  I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Axl conceived them essentially in that order - as a story based on something that happened to a friend.  Of course, "read that somewhere" counts the least when you're talking about music... of any subject. 

To me, those songs and that order very much tell one continuous story)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The song that get you to tear up : Slim, please share.  How is that you're so happy? I find happy people very annoying.  Just a rock n roll thing, perhaps.
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Oh my whole life story, the more recent parts anyway, were splattered across the relationship forum 1-2 years ago, under the handle BigWillie.  That handle was chosen spur of the moment in the middle of a sports forum battle, and didn't work so well when I switched forums.  But something went awry with that account,  possibly because the email address attached to it was Bill Gates, so I had to create a new one.

Not going to regurgitate all that stuff, in fact I went back and deleted much of it because it was too much.  Let's just say - and this will be my response to Jessey's other thread too - that I divorced after 18 years of marriage about 2.5 years ago, was a mess for a while,  found another partner, still am gainfully employed in IT over in Cambridge, still talk to the ex once in a while, survived turning 50 (piece of cake actually, 49 was much harder), and I still have my health.

Don't worry, I can still get as cranky and irritable as the next guy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Hey, BW - I didn't know that was you.  Glad you're through the fire.  Didn't I promise you?  :)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: The song that get you to tear up : Oh my whole life story, the more recent parts anyway, were splattered across the relationship forum 1-2 years ago, under the handle BigWillie.  That handle was chosen spur of the moment in the middle of a sports forum battle, and didn't work so well when I switched forums.  But something went awry with that account,  possibly because the email address attached to it was Bill Gates, so I had to create a new one. Not going to regurgitate all that stuff, in fact I went back and deleted much of it because it was too much.  Let's just say - and this will be my response to Jessey's other thread too - that I divorced after 18 years of marriage about 2.5 years ago, was a mess for a while,  found another partner, still am gainfully employed in IT over in Cambridge, still talk to the ex once in a while, survived turning 50 (piece of cake actually, 49 was much harder), and I still have my health. Don't worry, I can still get as cranky and irritable as the next guy.
    Posted by SlimPickensII[/QUOTE]

Well, gee, Slim, I don't know what to say here!   I do remember Big Willie ... but I don't  think I got too involved in your posts.   When I began to post on BDC, I used to post on the relationships forum, but I was one of the only really serious people there and didn't fit in very well!  ha ha!!   (this was way before the LL blog existed, and there weren't 600 people saying the same thing for 6 hours a day) ...  anyhow, the r/l forum is not what it used to be, but I am glad it helped you back then.  

I am very happy to hear you weathered that storm, and you're a much happier man now.    I was just kidding around, you know, but appreciate your honest response. 
    Smile

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

Yes you gave me some great advice back then, which is when I promoted you to co-Sage alongside Alf!   Wish I took *all* the advice, including the part about renting rather than buying.  So it looks like I'll be a Landlord for a couple of years until I can unload the place, it's too much of a financial hit to sell it right now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I remember - I was very pleased with my title. :)  Sorry about the house burden, but as far as mistakes go, it's not so bad.  Could work out great if you can hang on long enough and deal with the crp that comes along with being a landlord.

Sorry to hijack, but I was just so happy to see BW! 

Anyone else check out Sad Song in my link on the first page?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I always thought many of the songs of Billy Joel were about the best at bringing water to my eyes.

'Goodnight Saigon' is about as real as a song gets. 'Piano Man' has a few lines about people who are stuck in a sad life situation, but the bright side is that the piano man's music makes them feel happy , at least for a few hours.

'Turn the Page' by Bob Seger is a sad song about life on the road when you are an unknown rock musician ( which Seger was for many years until his big break with 'Night Moves'...which is a song that has a nostalgic kind of sadness to it).

'Interstate' by Neil Young ,an unreleased song that you likely will only hear on bootlegs is another very sad song about being away from family. The song 'Let's Roll' also by Neil always make me think of all the victims of 9/11 as it is a song about the heroes of Flight 93 in which the terrorists were stopped by some very brave civilians....at the cost of their lives they undoubtedly saved others.

'The Boxer' by Simon and Garfunkel is a song tinged with a bit of sadness also.

Oddly enough, I listen to a lot of Blues but I can't really think of a Blues song that makes me tear up. While all Blues songs are not necessarily sad , it is a music that is born from hard times and sad life situations. For example 'The Thrill is Gone', which is a very well known B.B.King tune is about fading love between a man and his mate, but while a sad subject it doesn't bring me to tears...although I am sure it has this effect on many people.

The song 'Isn't it a Pity' from George Harrison's All Things Must Pass LP is another song that can make a person feel sad enough to weep. I think I probably did when I first heard it...but I can't really remember.

I have spent close to 40 years of my life listening to music ( inbetween school, work, sleep , chores, reading and watching t.v.) and it is very rare for me to be moved by a song to the point of tears. Even though , I mention a handful of sad songs, I would say the first one I mentioned 'Goodnight , Saigon' is about the only one I cannot listen to without getting teary eyed, even though I was not in Vietnam or never knew anyone who died there, the song paints the picture of just how horrible the whole rotten business of fighting a jungle war against a foe that was good at it with a bunch of very green , scared, young men who really didn't know what the hell they were doing there, but yet tried like hell to do their job and serve their country, only to be treated badly by the very people that sent them there. Easily this country's darkest hour and, I think , what makes people like me not as patriotic as I probably could've been if not for that whole stinking deathtrap of a country that so many young American boys never came back from.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Tear up with laughter? That's easy.

Any pop song on the radio since 1997.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Zilla, I agree with you wholeheartedly with your opinion about Billy Joel's music being emotional.  I don't know why I didn't think of it myself earier.

Sad Song (link on first page of this thread) is particular BJ-like.  I cry every time I hear it.  Give it a listen?  I think you'll like it.

~kar

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Surprisingly I found Miley Cyrus's The Climb to be a bit of a jerker if you view the "Climb" as someone battling illness.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

When a Man Loves a Woman - Percy Sledge
    I don't know why, but that song always brings a tear to my eye. It must remind me of an old girlfriend.