The strange life of Dylan's Mr. Jones.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The strange life of Dylan's Mr. Jones.

Dylan introduced us to the character 'Mr. Jones' in 'Ballad of a Thin Man.'

John Lennon refers to 'Dylan's Mr. Jones' in 'Yer Blues.'

The Talking Heads ( there's that group again that everyone wants to throw stones at) have a song called 'Mr. Jones'on their LP 'Naked' ( the one with the chimp on the front cover).

pmike just mentioned the other song by Counting Crows also named 'Mr. Jones.'

These songs all refer to the same fictional character. Does any other fictional character from Rock songs show up repeatedly? That you know of (except Satan, of course) ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from The-dude. Show The-dude's posts

Re: The strange life of Dylan's Mr. Jones.

Major Tom from David Bowie. It's in Space Oddity by David Bowie and later on in Major Tom Coming Home by Peter Schilling. Both songs were big shot songs btw.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"Jim Dandy" was a song by Lavern Baker. The rascal later appeared in Elvis Presley's "Little Sister" :
    Well, I dated your big sister
    And took her to a show
    I went for some candy
    Along came Jim Dandy
    And they snuck right out of the door

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Major Tom also cameos in "Ashes to Ashes", fwiw.

The obvious one that comes to mind is The Who's Tommy, but he only appears in Who songs as far as I know.

Then, of course, there's Casey Jones (The Dead, Pete Seeger, Johnny Cash, etc).

And the original steel-drivin' man, John Henry (Van Morrison does a great version on his "Philosopher's Stone" disc.)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I am trying to think if Johnny B. Goode or Long Tall Sally are mentioned in other songs.

Is the Sally in Robert Palmer's 'Sneaking Sally through the Alley" the same Sally? How about Grace Slick's "Sally Go Round the Roses" from her days with the Great Society?

I am wondering if "When Johnny Strikes up the Band" by Warren Zevon refers to Johnny B. Goode. The "Be Good Johnny" song by Men at Work would seem to be a link to Chuck's Johnny...but possibly just the name , not Johnny himself.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

How about Mickey Mouse?

Bowie - "Life On Mars"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: The strange life of Dylan's Mr. Jones.:
    How about Mickey Mouse? Bowie - "Life On Mars"
    Posted by Mattyhorn

Mickey Mouse is mentioned in the big hit song by the 80's group that had the cute young girl with a mohawk as lead singer. It was also a popular video on MTV back then.

I can't remember the group, the song or the girl's name. If I even had a clue , I would Google it. But if you watched MTV back in the early 80's , you probably know who I am talking about.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

The Kinks used Lola in the original song and then in Detroyer

The Royal Guardsmen used Snoopy and the Red Baron in 3 songs
    Snoopy vs The Red Baron,Return of the Red Baron and Snoopy's Christmas

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Zil, was the song "Do You Wanna Hold Me" and the group Bow Wow Wow? They were another band managed by Malcolm McLaren, the infamous manager of the Sex Pistols. They also recorded "I Want Candy", which was originally a hit by The Strangeloves in 1965.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Zil, was the song "Do You Wanna Hold Me" and the group Bow Wow Wow? They were another band managed by Malcolm McLaren, the infamous manager of the Sex Pistols. They also recorded "I Want Candy", which was originally a hit by The Strangeloves in 1965.
    Posted by devildavid

That's it !!! I actually have the greatest hits CD by Bow Wow Wow, because I liked the two hits ( Funny how they have a whole CD of "hits", isn't it?)...I just couldn't grab the name out of my scrambled brain.

Thanks Mr. D! ( Hey, was that you Jagger was singing about in "Dancing with Mr. D?")

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

"Jim Dandy" was a song by Lavern Baker. The rascal later appeared in Elvis Presley's "Little Sister" : Well, I dated your big sister And took her to a show I went for some candy Along came Jim Dandy And they snuck right out of the door
    Posted by devildavid

Let's not forget Black Oak Arkansas reviving Jim Dandy in the 70's. (I was never sure if that was a remake or not).

Sections
Shortcuts