The Thing You're Not Allowed to Say

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Another-Veronica. Show Another-Veronica's posts

Re: The Thing You're Not Allowed to Say

To think I almost didn't return to this thread.  Look what I would have missed.

You guys are great (includes the gals)

Zilla, Being sarcastic on-line is more difficult but even in person, if a person doesn't have a sense of humor or something is construed in the wrong way, one can still get in trouble.  But I gotta be me. Talk first, think later.

devildavid, If a sense of humor is a sign of intelligence, guess I'm doing okay.

jessey, I'm glad you clicked 'reply to this post' on yogafriends' remark as she edited a few lines so I was able to read them in your post. She is too kind, one of the sweetest on this site.

Regarding Roy Orbison, I'm with Elekktra on this one. Thank you but I don't fit the profile. Just an average gal here who likes straight legged jeans. If anyone is worthy of wearing the halo, well, if you ever read the LL blog, you would know that my halo shines the brightest.

Sometimes I crack myself up.

yogafriend, Regarding your 'prayer,' you crack me up too.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: The Thing You're Not Allowed to Say:
    Dear Spiritual Healer of the Music Forum, Please watch over the music forum tonight. Please help me wake up tomorrow as a less gullible person. Despite his kindness, friendship and humor, please wash out jesseyeric's mind, heart and soul with antiseptic solution, and make sure you apply a very strong solution, as you know he needs it very badly.  Please don't tell me people are still posting in this fiasco of a thread.  Please let p-mike know we are sorry for derailing his thread.  We're sorry p-mike! Love light and the sweetest of dreams to all.  Amen.  
    Posted by yogafriend

Just don't use bleach - it may wash what's left of my tan away.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI3LAgGBxqU

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

To think I almost didn't return to this thread.  Look what I would have missed. You guys are great (includes the gals) Zilla, Being sarcastic on-line is more difficult but even in person, if a person doesn't have a sense of humor or something is construed in the wrong way, one can still get in trouble.  But I gotta be me. Talk first, think later. devildavid, If a sense of humor is a sign of intelligence, guess I'm doing okay. jessey, I'm glad you clicked 'reply to this post' on yogafriends' remark as she edited a few lines so I was able to read them in your post. She is too kind, one of the sweetest on this site. Regarding Roy Orbison, I'm with Elekktra on this one. Thank you but I don't fit the profile. Just an average gal here who likes straight legged jeans. If anyone is worthy of wearing the halo, well, if you ever read the LL blog, you would know that my halo shines the brightest. Sometimes I crack myself up. yogafriend, Regarding your 'prayer,' you crack me up too.
    Posted by Another-Veronica

Well we're glad you came back, too!  Of course, I instantly pegged you as a mega-cool person because of your avatar (secret confession: I grew up reading Archie Comics - you can see the influence in my style sometimes).  I know most of these guys from the Sox forum but I don't spend a lot of time there right now because of the silliness that tends to go on in the Off Season.

And yeah, I do recognize you from the LL blog...I will post there sometimes, but not that often...though I do read it every day.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from schadenfreude99. Show schadenfreude99's posts

I think you guys/gals should get a room.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

And what fun we would have.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Over rated compared to who. If he's overrated then you can name just about anyone and say that. I can say Elvis was over rated and get a group to agree with me on that. Or maybe Bob Dylan was overrated surely we have a crowed out there that can go along with that. Ahhh who else let's see The Stones they must be overrated, yes let's say the Stones are overrated I'm sure a few would agree. Either your not a fan p-mike or you just don't know what you're talking about, since I never met you I'm going to chalk it up to not a fan. I think the ideas for new topics on the music blog are wearing thin, alot of the same old people going back and forth with lame posts. Overrated!!!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Over rated compared to who. If he's overrated then you can name just about anyone and say that. I can say Elvis was over rated and get a group to agree with me on that. Or maybe Bob Dylan was overrated surely we have a crowed out there that can go along with that. Ahhh who else let's see The Stones they must be overrated, yes let's say the Stones are overrated I'm sure a few would agree. Either your not a fan p-mike or you just don't know what you're talking about, since I never met you I'm going to chalk it up to not a fan. I think the ideas for new topics on the music blog are wearing thin, alot of the same old people going back and forth with lame posts. Overrated!!!
    Posted by newman09

That's what I like - someone bringing us back on point.

Newman - if you don't like our topics, then I am sorry. And since I have not seen you post here all that much in the last 6 months (I don't remember any, but that could be because my memory is shot), I don't think you will miss us all too much if you leave. See, I don't like someone thinking that they can come here and tell us what is relevant to us and what isn't.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Another-Veronica. Show Another-Veronica's posts

yoshimi, Thank you.

schadenfreude, I'm not that kind of girl.

jessey, I'm really not that much fun. Actually I'm kind of boring. It's easier to have fun or be funny on-line.

Back to regular programming.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

yoshimi, Thank you. schadenfreude, I'm not that kind of girl. jessey, I'm really not that much fun. Actually I'm kind of boring. It's easier to have fun or be funny on-line. Back to regular programming.
    Posted by Another-Veronica

A/V - here is what I think. You are who you are no matter where you show it. If a smooth, funny and cute person appears on a forum such as this, then it is most likely that you are the same way in person. Usually we are our own worst critics and don't see what others see in us. So I am sure you are that much fun.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Did my eyes deceive me or something? 

Maybe I am lost in a maze of my own making from being online too much!

Later.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Did my eyes deceive me or something?  Maybe I am lost in a maze of my own making from being online too much! Later.  
    Posted by yogafriend

Cool

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

See the last four posts are what I'm talking about. What is this Twitter or Face Book.  Someone said it already "Get a room!"

So which is it, you like someone bringing things back to topic, or do you want me to go away so you can tweet!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

See the last four posts are what I'm talking about. What is this Twitter or Face Book.  Someone said it already "Get a room!" So which is it, you like someone bringing things back to topic, or do you want me to go away so you can tweet!
    Posted by newman09

Think I will tweet - thanks

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Posted by newman09

It's not so much that I'm not a fan, newman (and thank you for staying on topic). I like the Beatles just fine as a unit, and while it may be true that I find very little of Lennon's solo work to my taste, my point was that he has become a transcendent figure due in large part to his early demise, as opposed to any particularly unique talent. My guess is that if it had been Paul who had been taken away from us, all those catchy pop tunes that hipsters like to sneer at now would be all the rage, and Lennon would simpl be "the political one."

There's really no way to know, I just thought it was a valid point, about dying being a wonderful marketing tool, and I actually thought it would be an interesting discussion topic, given the incredible number of musicians who have met an early demise for one reason or another.

I'm a little surprised some of our fine refugees from the Red Sox forum chose this particular thread in which to go back to junior high school, but then again, it's the intenet . . .

What are you gonna do?

Undecided

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

I respect your thoughts on this and what you are trying to say. I am a fan of the Beatles and most all of the solo material that came in the years following. I think someone said it already, I'ts hard even imposible to follow what they put out together as a group. Saying that, I think they did absolutely remarkable considering how high the bar was set. 

Getting back to being overrated. What I was trying to say is if he is overrated, than just about anyone can wear that label. I agree with your that passing before you time adds to the allure and can create a god like status. But, my opinion is dead or still alive Lennon is as big of a rock god as you can get. 

tweet, tweet, tweet, tweet yaaa!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: The Thing You're Not Allowed to Say :I just thought it was a valid point, about dying being a wonderful marketing tool, and I actually thought it would be an interesting discussion topic, given the incredible number of musicians who have met an early demise for one reason or another.
    Posted by p-mike

This topic makes me a little uncomfortable, but I have to check in.  I understand perfectly what you're saying about dying being great for marketing.  However I can never really look it at that way.  To me it's just a tragedy when a Hendrix or a Lennon or any of them, even Cobain, dies so young and so needlessly.  Any fame or financial benefits that ensue certainly don't do any good to the dead person. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yoshimi25. Show Yoshimi25's posts

Well, I suppose an early death does a lot to get attention - there are also authors and artists who were never very popular when they were alive and achieved fame only after they died early.  Maybe it's the mentality of the limited amount of creations in the world and knowing there isn't going to be any more.  And then there are some who have died early and nobody even knows about it.  Usui Yoshito, author of the Crayon Shin-Chan series, died last year in a tragic accident, but I'm willing to bet more people know about Cobain than Usui.  John Denver died back in 1997 and more people still talk about Lennon than Denver - even though Denver did a lot of humanitarian work and was a political activist.  Maybe it's the press you get before you die that determines the press you get after you die - I dunno. 

I never was a Michael Jackson fan and his death did nothing to change that.

As a marketing tool, it's probably not the best one.  People from all generations remember Marilyn Monroe, but few kids today know who River Phoenix is (shoot, I don't even think I remember any movie he was in...I'd have to look it up). 

Maybe it's the way people like Lennon, Monroe, and Jackson affected such a vast majority of people while they were alive that determines the press they get on the anniversary of their deaths. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Well, I suppose an early death does a lot to get attention - there are also authors and artists who were never very popular when they were alive and achieved fame only after they died early.  Maybe it's the mentality of the limited amount of creations in the world and knowing there isn't going to be any more.  And then there are some who have died early and nobody even knows about it.  Usui Yoshito, author of the Crayon Shin-Chan series, died last year in a tragic accident, but I'm willing to bet more people know about Cobain than Usui.  John Denver died back in 1997 and more people still talk about Lennon than Denver - even though Denver did a lot of humanitarian work and was a political activist.  Maybe it's the press you get before you die that determines the press you get after you die - I dunno.  I never was a Michael Jackson fan and his death did nothing to change that. As a marketing tool, it's probably not the best one.  People from all generations remember Marilyn Monroe, but few kids today know who River Phoenix is (shoot, I don't even think I remember any movie he was in...I'd have to look it up).  Maybe it's the way people like Lennon, Monroe, and Jackson affected such a vast majority of people while they were alive that determines the press they get on the anniversary of their deaths. 
    Posted by Yoshimi25

I think what you say is true of any brilliant artist. Especially a visual one. I can't think of a single artist who died rich.  Picasso, Van Gogh, Monet they all died penniless. As did Mozart I think. Other people got rich off them after they died but they never rea0ped the benfits.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

Yes, death does bring new attention to an artist and his life's work gets analyzed. 

But to say John Lennon is overrated is just rubbish.  To begin with, without John Lennon, there is no Beatles.  No Beatles...

To get a taste of the dynamic of the early years, I highly recommend "Nowhere Boy."  John was the olderst, the ringleader.  What he said was what was done.  "You're in.  You're out."

And his solo work is absolutely amazing.  If you're looking for easy accessibility, I give you Imagine. (The album, that is.)  Plastic Ono Band is breathtaking start to finish.  Mind Games and Some Time in New York City were a bit harder to digest, I admit, but there are some real gems on there. (Give anothe rlisten to "Bring On the Lucie.") 

Then there is the grossly underappreciated but nonetheless brilliant Walls and Bridges.  Looking past "Whatever Gets You through the Night," and "#9 Dream," please check out the beautiful "Old Dirt Road," "Nobody Loves You," and the in-your-face funk of "What You Got." 

Rock and Roll is what it is, which is John getting back to his roots to remind himself what it is he loved about rock 'n roll to begin with.  I would rather hear his take on "Stand By Me" than Ben E. King's.  

ALL these albums have just been rereleased, with a complete remix of Double Fantasy. (Double Fantasy Stripped Down)  John's songs on this album - all of them - are among his finest, Beatles included.  And the incomplete "Nobody Told Me" from Milk & Honey is enough to be a great rock record as is.  Imagine if he had time to finish it.  (Although we probably would have lost that great "most peculiar, mama" ad lib.)

OVERRATED MY A**!

Sections
Shortcuts