The TV thread

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The TV thread

In 1961 FCC Chairman Newtin Minow described TV as a 'vast wasteland'.  If only he could have foreseen exactly how vast it would eventually become...

Anyway, there is some good stuff now, if you're selective, and with the magic of digital cable, satellite TV, On Demand, DVR's, HBO and Netflix, there are a lot of avenues to access it.

I have now watched the first four episodes of Season One of a BBC series called Broadchurch.  The cast is made up entirely of British actors I'd never seen before.  The story is set in a small seaside town and revolves around the mysterious murder of an 11-year old boy.  The murder occurs, unseen, at the beginning of the first episode.  The investigation begins quickly and as it does we're gradually introduced to the townspeople, some of whom may know something about what happened.

I have nothing but praise for this show.  The acting and the direction are just stunningly good.  There hasn't been a weak moment yet.  Just a first-class production all the way, the kind that brings credibility to the entire medium. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: The TV thread

Never heard of that series, Hfx, but your description makes it sound riveting.

The finale of "Prime Suspect" which starred Helen Mirren and was a BBC Production as well, haunts me to this day, and had a similar theme (the murder of a young woman).   It was only one episode, however, and the final one, that marked the end of the series that was on for a number of years (done as a series done by "seasons"), at times, going on hiatus.   Mirren played Detective Jane Tennison, exquisitely, I might add.   The themes were very dark and her cases were very intensely portrayed.  I haven't seen them all -- but I'd recommend the series to anyone who appreciates suspenseful, police "procedurals" done in an incomparable style.    Jane is an alcoholic, who uses alcohol to cope more and more, as the series progresses.   The finale shows that she is going to confront her alcoholism, but ... you don't really know.  I used to love watching Prime Suspect, and that finale was off the charts, so unforgettable; Mirren was spell-binding.   

I never make the same mistake twice.  I make it five or six times, just to be sure.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I grew up in front of the T.V.

Oddly enough I watched more T.V BEFORE cable than since.

The vast wasteland really started to expand when we got more channels of garbage. I mean really, who watches the Travel Channel, the Food Network and TLC?

In the past decade or so, besides watching fewer sports than I used to, I very rarely watch anything because the commercial time is eroding the hour show into a 35 minute show. The exceptions are as follows ( shows too entertaining for me to miss....you may not think so, but we all have freedom of choice , right?) : 24...Ancient Aliens ( on History)...as much CNN and what little FOXNEWS I can stand before throwing up. I also get a big kick out of watching Jim Cantore of the WeatherChannel standing out in the middle of a blizzard or a hurricane, telling people NOT to go outside unless it is absolutely necessary.

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

I gave up cable about 2 years ago, and with the over the air channels, radio,  and the internet, I don't miss it.

Sure, there are a few good things on cable, but for what it costs, it's not worth it imo.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I got rid of my cable, too, and I have to admit, I don't miss it at all.

Anything I might actually care to follow -- like Breaking Bad or Boardwalk Empire or Game of Thrones -- is readily available on video and I no longer waste my time flipping through myriad channels (as Bruce so sagely observed all those years ago) with nothing on.

Truth to tell, I enjoy Seinfeld and Bop Newhart re-runs I've seen dozens of times to most of what I had been finding on cable anyway.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

A footnote on the Broadchurch series - Fox is going to be doing an American version of it for the 2014-15 season.  Hopefully they won't mess it up too much. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

A footnote on the Broadchurch series - Fox is going to be doing an American version of it for the 2014-15 season.  Hopefully they won't mess it up too much. 

The day after you posted on "Broadchurch", I saw a write-up of it, and it was very praiseworthy.   I might not have noticed it had it not been for this thread, as I also, don't subscribe to cable these days.   

Also, there was a newly updated British version of "The Lady Vanishes" that aired last weekend on PBS; did not get a hot review at all, I'm afraid.   I didn't watch, so can't speak firsthand.   Seems Hitchcock's version cannot be topped.  As a huge fan of film noir, I can understand.  Not everything the BBC does is so wonderful.  :)    As it stands, we only see the best of the best; they produce plenty of crap, too.   

As far as I can see, the main and most important reason to have cable is very simple: Sports.  Sports.  Sports.   At least football has held the line on network, but if you have any desire or are a sports nut at all, cable is a requirement.   All in all, a lot cheaper than going to games (as well as the inability to attend by virtue of distance and other circumstances), so the cost is justified, IMO, if you're a fan.   

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Yogafriend wrote:

"did not get a hot review at all, I'm afraid"

Huh?

A review is an opinion, opinion's are like a "nose" - everyone has one!

Kinda surprised that you would let someone infuence your viewing habits based on thier opinion (but it sounds like you don't waste much time watching TV = smart!)

I went to see "We Are The Millers" - a stupid but very funny movie IMHO. I knew going in that it would be bubble gum for the brain at best, at worst no laughs.

A 90 year old fossil like Ty Burr, GLOBE film critic, isn't the intended viewer - it was intended for the 20 something.

I hate critics - TV, film & music!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to RogerTaylor's comment:

Yogafriend wrote:

"did not get a hot review at all, I'm afraid"

Huh?

A review is an opinion, opinion's are like a "nose" - everyone has one!

Kinda surprised that you would let someone infuence your viewing habits based on thier opinion (but it sounds like you don't waste much time watching TV = smart!)

I went to see "We Are The Millers" - a stupid but very funny movie IMHO. I knew going in that it would be bubble gum for the brain at best, at worst no laughs.

A 90 year old fossil like Ty Burr, GLOBE film critic, isn't the intended viewer - it was intended for the 20 something.

I hate critics - film & music!

What happens when you take a comment out of context ... ??   The meaning is lost, Roger, m'love.    My comment had nothing to do with critics, I just tried to relay that a BBC remake production was potentially not as good as an original film by Hitchcock.  

I wouldn't watch a remake of" The Lady Vanishes," Roger.   Wouldn't matter what a critic said.    We good?   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

TV is like everything else. It is what you make of it. I don't see TV as a cause of mental vacuity but very often a result of it. Just like a lot of other entertainment, including books. I guess the major drawback of TV is that it is a passive medium that probably doesn't engage the mind as much as other forms of entertainment might. TV has been the whipping boy of intellectuals for so long that it makes me want to defend any good qualities it may have. It does provide us with almost instant visual window on the world that wasn't there before. I think that counts for something.

One show I recommend is "Justified". I haven't had the opportunity to watch many episodes because of its schedule, but whenever I see it I am instantly hooked.

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I have no problems with TV, per se.

However, I have a blinding hatred for commercials, almost without fail.

Hence, the tech miracle of DVR.

That said, I listen to music and read much more than I watch TV these days. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

TV is like everything else. It is what you make of it. I don't see TV as a cause of mental vacuity but very often a result of it. Just like a lot of other entertainment, including books. I guess the major drawback of TV is that it is a passive medium that probably doesn't engage the mind as much as other forms of entertainment might. TV has been the whipping boy of intellectuals for so long that it makes me want to defend any good qualities it may have. It does provide us with almost instant visual window on the world that wasn't there before. I think that counts for something.

One show I recommend is "Justified". i haven't had the opportunity to watch many episodes because of it's schedule, but whenever I see it I am instantly hooked.

I tend to agree.  I like the opportunity to sample and choose what I like (like a beer or whiskey tasting).

And from what I've seen, TV has now mostly passed films in terms of plot, character, talent and mood...especially in drama.

"House Of Cards" is simply brilliant, IMO.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

New tattoo

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I just read about this, and my jaw dropped.   Now hear this, if you haven't already: Seems that the Fairfield, Conn. police were FLOODED WITH CALLS  on the 911 system to report a local Cablevision outage during an episode of "Breaking Bad."   This happened last week, apparently. 

Yes, the cable provider's hotline was also overwhelmed with calls, which is valid, but calling 911 is NOT.   You call for a "first responder" because your cable goes down?   Or has this turned into a life-threatening event, and I'm the only one who wasn't aware of it?  

Okay, off soapbox.   I know that none of you would do this, even if your TV went off during a World Series -- with the Red Sox.   Laughing

I never make the same mistake twice.  I make it five or six times, just to be sure.  

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

I just read about this, and my jaw dropped.   Now hear this, if you haven't already: Seems that the Fairfield, Conn. police were FLOODED WITH CALLS  on the 911 system to report a local Cablevision outage during an episode of "Breaking Bad."   This happened last week, apparently. 

Yes, the cable provider's hotline was also overwhelmed with calls, which is valid, but calling 911 is NOT.   You call for a "first responder" because your cable goes down?   Or has this turned into a life-threatening event, and I'm the only one who wasn't aware of it?  

Okay, off soapbox.   I know that none of you would do this, even if your TV went off during a World Series -- with the Red Sox.   Laughing

Sports fans are kind of kooky at times.You probably don't remember the "Heidi Bowl".Here's a link:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-heidi-bowl

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Just watched the final episode of Broadchurch.  Wow, what a piece of work.  A spellbinding mystery with a huge emotional impact.  Brilliantly written and executed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Sports fans are kind of kooky at times.You probably don't remember the "Heidi Bowl".Here's a link:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-heidi-bowl

Never heard of the "Heidi Bowl" until now, so thanks.   That's very funny.   I know sports fans are (or can be ...) kooks, don't worry.    I was pulling your collective legs re: calling 911 for a power or cable outage during a big game as in a World Series, but I would be very surprised if in fact, if that's never happened.    Not that anyone here would do that, of course ... Cool

But for a regular TV program, no matter how good, you can always catch any episode again, one way or another.  Or read about it the next day.   I can easily justify having a fit over the loss of viewing capability for a sports event (a one-time shot to see it in real time), so I'm a bit more in sync with the sports kooks, if anything. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

BTW, a friend told me that "Luther" is an excellent program.    I happened to see it in the news today b/c it's starting a new (third) season.   It's another BBC production.  My friend works in criminal justice, so she loves stark, edgy crime shows.  She recommended the first two seasons highly. 

And BTW ...

My computer is in very fragile (read: it's messed up beyond all reason ...!) condition, which is why I haven't posted some new threads that I had planned.   As it is, I have no idea when I can post at all.  I have an appointment with a geekmobile guy, so hopefully, the computer will be more healthy by the end of the week, and when it is, I'll blast out a few new threads.  

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

BTW, a friend told me that "Luther" is an excellent program.    I happened to see it in the news today b/c it's starting a new (third) season.   It's another BBC production.  My friend works in criminal justice, so she loves stark, edgy crime shows.  She recommended the first two seasons highly. 

And BTW ...

My computer is in very fragile (read: it's messed up beyond all reason ...!) condition, which is why I haven't posted some new threads that I had planned.   As it is, I have no idea when I can post at all.  I have an appointment with a geekmobile guy, so hopefully, the computer will be more healthy by the end of the week, and when it is, I'll blast out a few new threads.  

Glad you mentioned Prime Suspect. I watched that whole series in two nights on Netflix. It was outsanding in every way. Mirren was Tennison. It was hard to take your eyes of of her character. What a train wreck. Yeah, the ending was simply brilliant, but sad. Mirren may be the best actress on the planet.    

Idris Elba, is equally as good as Luther imo. What I like about these shows is that both characters really grab your attention and never let go, unlike most of the drek on TV. Just two really human, but flawed cops, who go about their job, even while everyone else is working against them. I have a feeling that Luther's ending will not be as unceremonious as Tennison's.  

One show I do reccomend is the Bridge on Fx. Another really good, dark, well wriiten crime drama with an outstanding cast led by Diane Kruger and the great Demain Bichir. It is about murders that take place in El Paso Texas, and Juarez Mexico, and how cops from each city and culture have to work together in solving the cases that fall into both juristictions. Very authentic.

Good luck with the computer

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Hope your computer's feeling better Yoga.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Hope your computer's feeling better Yoga.

MrMoJo, You are the bomb.   Great cartoon.   :0

This is going to sound crazy -- I have an appt. today with the geek guy, and last night ... my computer went into recovery (of sorts), without another attempt on my part, and seems FINE now.  I am VERY upset because I don't want to cancel the appointment; this happened the last time, too!    Man, I do not want to spend the $$$ but I suppose I need to have it checked and ask what needs to be asked for the long haul.

I could not open Chrome for a week.  Completely dead.  In fact, I think Chrome started the whole thing because of some Microsoft updates.   Chrome is so glitchy ... I may be told to stop using it.   Then I moved to Firefox, which I haven't used for 2 years (forgot how good it is, actually) -- and that was okay for a few days, and ultimately crashed and blew up on me.   Then I finally limped along on the AWFUL IE, but hey, it was keeping me alive.   I had to pamper the situation like you would not believe.   

Sorry for the hijack.   I only mentioned my computer virus / issues b/c I was frustrated for my inability to start some new threads.     Thanks for the support.    This sounds so crazy, I feel like a "blonde" or something (just a joke!).    Maybe one of my cats walked across the keyboard a few times overnight, and stepped on the right keys.    =)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to polar123's comment:

And BTW ...

Glad you mentioned Prime Suspect. I watched that whole series in two nights on Netflix. It was outsanding in every way. Mirren was Tennison. It was hard to take your eyes of of her character. What a train wreck. Yeah, the ending was simply brilliant, but sad. Mirren may be the best actress on the planet.    

Idris Elba, is equally as good as Luther imo. What I like about these shows is that both characters really grab your attention and never let go, unlike most of the drek on TV. Just two really human, but flawed cops, who go about their job, even while everyone else is working against them. I have a feeling that Luther's ending will not be as unceremonious as Tennison's.  

One show I do reccomend is the Bridge on Fx. Another really good, dark, well wriiten crime drama with an outstanding cast led by Diane Kruger and the great Demain Bichir. It is about murders that take place in El Paso Texas, and Juarez Mexico, and how cops from each city and culture have to work together in solving the cases that fall into both juristictions. Very authentic.

Good luck with the computer

I am totally delighted that you took my recommendation and ran with it; you watched the entire series in two nights?  That's "TV" time put to good use.  =)   Jane Tennison is one of the best characters ever created, IMO, and Helen Mirren brought her to life like no one else could.   

Thanks for the confirmation re: Luther.  I saw that the third "season" that debuted this week is already over?   Just a few hours.   This was the only complaint my friend had about it, simply: not enough.     

Thanks re: Bridge.   Good to know.   The premise sounds interesting.  

Seems my computer is ... uh.    Touch and go.   Good thing I didn't cancel my appt., let's put it that way.     Better go ...   later.   

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Ray Donovan, starring Liev Schrieber and Jon Voight, might be the most insane show I've ever seen.  It's about a family from South Boston that has moved to La-La Land.  Mickey Donovan (Voight) has just been released from a long jail stint for murder.  Son Ray (Schrieber) is a 'fixer' with clients in show biz.  The only question is who is more evil and sociopathic, the father or the son.  The violence and general mayhem is off the charts.

The writing and acting does make it watchable as an entertainment.

Some of the other cast members - Elliott Gould, James Woods, Rosanna Arquette.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I haven't seen Brotherhood.  I don't watch that many shows regularly.  I try to pick my spots.  With cable there are so many shows that if you got hooked on too many of them you'd have time problems in your life.

My wife and I watch The Good Wife.  The season opener for that show is coming up soon.

We also watched Big Love.  That was a pretty crazy show.  The polygamist (Bill Paxton) had three wives and they were all beautiful.  Jeanne Tripplehorn, Chloe Sevigny and Ginnifer Goodwin.  At one point it looked like there was going to be a Number Four. 

Sections
Shortcuts