The Ultimate Misfires (understatement)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The Ultimate Misfires (understatement)

After reading up on albums that hobbled, wounded and crippled artists and their careers  (and being very entertained in the process), there seem to be 3 notoriously suicidal albums.

The damage done by these 3 albums, to the respective 3 acclaimed artists, is shocking.  

One artist was sued on the grounds that he had produced "deliberately uncommercial and unrepresentative work."

These albums CRUSHED (although they did not kill)  three careers and to this day, are considered the "gold standard" of album suicide.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to the artists and the respective album that sucked the life out of them, never to be forgotten?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: The Ultimate Misfires (understatement)

These two, I think:

Neil Young - Trans

Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music

Blanking on the third...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Minor hints (very minor) deleted, as Matty has gotten 2 out of 3 already.   

"Just as kindness knows no shame, know through all your joy and pain, that I'll be loving you always."

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

These two, I think:

Neil Young - Trans

Blanking on the third...

Oh gee, I just gave a small hint while you were posting.     

Fantastic.   (I thought this was a hard question ... oh well!)   

Zilla was the other person I thought would (definitely) know "Trans" -- wonder if he owns it.

Give the third some thought.    No hints.    Might not be as obvious, but it's held up as a low-point and an album that required a bit of recovery, for various reasons.   

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

[QUOTE]

These two, I think:

Neil Young - Trans

Blanking on the third...

Oh gee, I just gave a small hint while you were posting.     

Fantastic.   (I thought this was a hard question ... oh well!)   

Zilla was the other person I thought would (definitely) know "Trans" -- wonder if he owns it.

Give the third some thought.    No hints.    Might not be as obvious, but it's held up as a low-point and an album that required a bit of recovery, for various reasons.   

[/QUOTE]

While I'm thinking...

...we can't let this go without mentioning the unfortunate career suicide of Billy Squier and that heinous 80s video.  If not for so many rap groups sampling his music, he would leapt off the Tobin long ago.

With the sequel out recently, I had read that Bob Dylan's Self Portrait was quite the bullet to the head back in the day....

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

With the sequel out recently, I had read that Bob Dylan's Self Portrait was quite the bullet to the head back in the day....

3 for 3.    Nice work (was that a guess or just a comment?); either way, it's Bob Dylan's gift to one of the greatest album misfires of all time.    Even though the album was recorded early in his career, he's never lived it down, apparently.   To this very day.   

(As for Billy Squier, I laughed so hard at the video, I was coughing at one point.   He seems to be a very good sport about it now, and he's aged gracefully, which is more than we can say for many other people in the music industry.   Still, it's one of the finest examples of a career crusher, if not downright suicide.   Still hard to believe).

Sections
Shortcuts