The Weepies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The Weepies

The Weepies, for the uninitiated, are an indie folk duo comprised of Deb Talen and Steve Tannen (now husband and wife).  Each of them were individual performers,  and singer-song writers before joining forces to create The Weepies.  

They're not right out of the gate by any means, but their musical trajectory has been slow and steady over the past 10 years.   One of the interesting, nice (and sort of sweet) facts about them is that they met at Club Passim in Cambridge and their first commercially successful CD, entitled "Happiness", was released at Club Passim as well.  (Note: the club continues to be a launch pad)

They most comfortably fit into the folk category, even though I hesitate to pigeon-hole them; it is simply where they have made the charts and received acclaim as artists.  They draw some influence from indie pop, and overall, are so pure in their acoustic delivery, they may be considered refreshingly retro.  

They have media credits galore with featured songs on TV, in film, advertisements, and a political campaign: Grey's Anatomy, One Tree Hill, Gossip Girl, Scrubs, and How I Met Your Mother, to name a few. 

Four studio albums.  Just one example of a hit is the song, "World Spins Madly On", which was a number one chartbuster for US folk songs on iTunes.  
    A few recommended songs:
    "Painting by Chagall"
    "Nobody Knows Me at All"
    "The World Spins Madly On"

So if you're looking for some nice, pure, indie music, check them out.  They're a very pleasant surprise.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: The Weepies

BTW, the Weepies are not related to the Feelies.  
    Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

never heard of them. i'll have to check them out Smile thanks!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The Weepies makes me think of the Red Sox forum for some reason...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: The Weepies:
    [QUOTE]The Weepies makes me think of the Red Sox forum for some reason...
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

Maybe Iron and Wine (spelled "whine") could also provide theme music for the Sox forum.   

I have no idea why the Weepies chose their name -- but if the Feelies made it, the Weepies can, too -- and they have.   

Sorry to hear the Sox are tanking.  Weep on.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: The Weepies:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: The Weepies : Maybe Iron and Wine (spelled "whine") could also provide theme music for the Sox forum.    I have no idea why the Weepies chose their name -- but if the Feelies made it, the Weepies can, too -- and they have.    Sorry to hear the Sox are tanking.  Weep on.  
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

The Sox are rockin'.  But even when they're rockin' there are always some people weeping about something.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"I'm not a loser and I ain't no weeper!"

(From one of my favorites, "Metal Health by Quiet Riot...a band with a much better name than "Weepies!"

I would suggest to many people forming a band that a good band name is worth it's weight in gold. Despite the fact that iit s wrong, many people judge the book by the cover....and I have been guilty myself).

Bad band names:

Village People ( this one is accurate as the band was awful also).
    They Eat Their Own- they weren't bad, but the name was too long.
    The Wonder Stuff- They were good, but real dumb name.
    Toad the Wet Sprocket - Named after a Monty Python line in one of the skits....not universally known, therefore a bad choice.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Okay, I'm glad the Sox are fine.  I do read sports articles (and enjoy them) and thought they were doing well -- good sanity check.  Maybe it's just the habit of being "long suffering" that is still hard to break?  

And yes, I felt the need to post this for the band name alone, TBH.  :D
    I was thinking what would have happened if let's say, the Indigo Girls had called themselves the Weepies; would they have ever become popular?  Good question!! 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Sorry yoga, they are probably quite good. But the name just turns me off.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

No worries, Zilla; I understand completely.  As I said, I thought I'd give them a PSA.  If anyone watches some of the TV shows where their music has been featured, they might have heard them and not known it.  

Anyhow, I kinda liked making a thread named. "The Weepies" -- it looked pretty funny to me.  It looked like I was going to ask for music that makes people weep.

Seriously, what big green monster such as yourself would be caught listening to a group named the Weepies?  Rock on.   :D

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I thought this was going to be a thread about what songs make you cry!  Oops. :)