The World's Most Famous Rapper Turns 40: Happy Birthday, Eminem

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

The World's Most Famous Rapper Turns 40: Happy Birthday, Eminem

As mentioned in my other thread, Eminem's 40th birthday was yesterday, October 17th.

Happy Belated Birthday to the artist also known as Slim Shady.  

We don't focus on rappers on the forum, but it's a sanity check / reminder as to what has been selling over the past decade, what's "popular" among a certain demographic, what's mega-mainstream, and why the aughts slipped off of your radar if you were not hot for this genre of music.   

Officially, Eminem got his start in the 1990s (note, no one mentioned him in that thread :)  )  but his breakthrough was in 2000.   He even broke Britney Spears' record for the fastest selling solo artist's record in US history (EYE ROLL).  :)

He's had an acting career; his first role was in the film, "8 Mile", for which he wrote an original song, "Lose Yourself"; he won an Academy Award (for the song) and became the first rapper in history to do so.   

He's written an autobiography.  He's had a well-known and self-admitted addiction to prescription narcotics.  He's attempted suicide.   He's had a very controversial career.

His fans think he is the absolute bomb, they love him.  

Eventhough he has not been in the music scene as long as many of the musical acts you'd consider historically great, he's considered one of the greatest artists in the world, and one of the greatest of all-time.   

Personally, I am not well-versed in his music or in the rap genre; I'm only a dabbler.   Consider this a mere PSA on a rapper that's been hauling a-s-s in the music industry.   Even if he's outside of your musical tastes and sensibilities, he deserves the recognition.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Re: The World's Most Famous Rapper Turns 40: Happy Birthday, Eminem

For those that like him Im sure he is good if that's your bag. I personally cant' stand him...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from xXR3S1NXx. Show xXR3S1NXx's posts

Eminem is great. Im not really a big fan of rap but if i was stuck with only rap i would definitly choose Slim. Slim not only pushed the envelope of what is appropriate to talk about but he stuck out from the dime a dozen rappers that you see today. My favorite album by him would def have to be the Slim Shady LP, The first time i heard it i was dying of laughter as the content of his songs is just incredibly histerical. So with that being said, Happy belated birthday Slim keep doing what you do.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Not a fan of Rap, but Eminem along with Tupac took it all to a much higher level.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Happy birthday, Eminem.  My daughter thinks you're awesome so you must be pretty good.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Happy B-Day.Not a big fan of Rap,but I appreciate his talent.

The first time I heard of the" 8 Miles" song,I thought it was someone was going to do a remake of the Byrds song" 8 Miles High".

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Having been coerced into listening to this stuff the last few years, it seems to me that rap has been sort of absorbed into pop music.  I'm hearing a lot of pop songs with rap parts in them. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to xXR3S1NXx's comment:

Eminem is great. Im not really a big fan of rap but if i was stuck with only rap i would definitly choose Slim. Slim not only pushed the envelope of what is appropriate to talk about but he stuck out from the dime a dozen rappers that you see today. My favorite album by him would def have to be the Slim Shady LP, The first time i heard it i was dying of laughter as the content of his songs is just incredibly histerical. So with that being said, Happy belated birthday Slim keep doing what you do. 

Thanks for the assessment.  Sounds like you have a bit more knowledge than some of us and "get" Eminem.   I have to agree about the "dime a dozen" rappers and why they begin to blend together.   I did a thread on Tupac a while back; eventhough there are still legions of fans out there, many think that his death, and the story behind it, is part of the appeal.   Either way, it's unlikely, were he still alive, he would have had any impact on Eminem's continued popularity.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

Having been coerced into listening to this stuff the last few years, it seems to me that rap has been sort of absorbed into pop music.  I'm hearing a lot of pop songs with rap parts in them.

I happen to have become a big fan of some of this music as well; I believe this would just be defined as hip hop, a HUGE genre now.   

I love sampling, when done well.  One of my early favorites of this was the "San Francisco Anthem" by San Quinn.   Scott McKenzie's original is sampled, and it's done beautifully, IMO. I also love Jay-Z / Alicia Keyes singing, "Empire State of Mind" and have never grown tired of it, which is hard to believe since I've listened to it countless times.  

The Flo-Rida song that many of us liked over the past year was also a good example, "Good Feeling" -- this is great dance music, and is used quite a bit in fitness routines, too.   Yet, a follow-up single by Flo-Rida, didn't latch on at all (for me).   

There's another song that uses "Flashdance" for the sampling that I don't like at all -- so it really does depend how well it's done.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

I happen to have become a big fan of some of this music as well; I believe this would just be defined as hip hop, a HUGE genre now.   

One of the songs I'm referring to is Eminem's 'Love the Way You Lie'.  Wikipedia defines this song as a 'midtempo hip hop ballad with a pop refrain'.  Seems to me the lines are a little blurred...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I'm an old school Hip-Hop guy. Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Flash, Fat Boys, Kurtis Blow, Run DMC, that great early stuff. Never got into much rap or Hip-Hop that came after the early days. I liked it best when it was mainly party music.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

I happen to have become a big fan of some of this music as well; I believe this would just be defined as hip hop, a HUGE genre now.    One of the songs I'm referring to is Eminem's 'Love the Way You Lie'.  Wikipedia defines this song as a 'midtempo hip hop ballad with a pop refrain'.  Seems to me the lines are a little blurred... 

Hip hop is so all-inclusive now, I've even heard MJ's "Billie Jean" on an exclusively hip hop program -- so in keeping with the forum's theory that categories are more and more, um, I don't know, superfluous (HA), it's all good.

But that Eminem song, with Rihanna in it, automatically makes it pop-infused.   Now that's a song I don't particularly like; she ruins it.  :D  She's awful.   I was looking at the hits on that song when I saw it was Eminem's b-day a couple of days ago.   Over 500 million hits - the combination of Eminem and Rihanna is like money in the bank.   They don't need me to like the song.  :) 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

FWIW, Eminem also brought some much needed attention back to the Detroit music scene - which just prior to him was kind of a techno wasteland.

Also agree regarding his aid in elevating rap/hip-hop to a higher art form with real complexity in his rhymes. He was neither the first nor last, but there's no denying his lyrical skills. No doubt one of the all-time great MCs, in spite of what might think of him personally.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Also want to give a shout out to NWA and Public Enemy here. And of course Run-DMC

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I think Eminem's voice is a big part of his appeal.  It has a unique edge to it.  It has pain and passion and urgency, and the emotions seem real, based on his own experiences.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Don't like all of his stuff, but I like some of it, including "Lose Yourself." A terrific talent.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JM0N. Show JM0N's posts

He has been singing the same song over and over for sometime now.

In response to yogafriend's comment:
    [QUOTE]

As mentioned in my other thread, Eminem's 40th birthday was yesterday, October 17th.

Happy Belated Birthday to the artist also known as Slim Shady.  

We don't focus on rappers on the forum, but it's a sanity check / reminder as to what has been selling over the past decade, what's "popular" among a certain demographic, what's mega-mainstream, and why the aughts slipped off of your radar if you were not hot for this genre of music.   

Officially, Eminem got his start in the 1990s (note, no one mentioned him in that thread :)  )  but his breakthrough was in 2000.   He even broke Britney Spears' record for the fastest selling solo artist's record in US history (EYE ROLL).  :)

He's had an acting career; his first role was in the film, "8 Mile", for which he wrote an original song, "Lose Yourself"; he won an Academy Award (for the song) and became the first rapper in history to do so.   

He's written an autobiography.  He's had a well-known and self-admitted addiction to prescription narcotics.  He's attempted suicide.   He's had a very controversial career.

His fans think he is the absolute bomb, they love him.  

Eventhough he has not been in the music scene as long as many of the musical acts you'd consider historically great, he's considered one of the greatest artists in the world, and one of the greatest of all-time.   

Personally, I am not well-versed in his music or in the rap genre; I'm only a dabbler.   Consider this a mere PSA on a rapper that's been hauling a-s-s in the music industry.   Even if he's outside of your musical tastes and sensibilities, he deserves the recognition.  

[/QUOTE]