They inspired Pop music and get no credit.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

They inspired Pop music and get no credit.

Possibly not pop music's biggest inspiration, but consider:

A.The hair styles sported by the Beatles ( especially Ringo) on "Meet the Beatles."

B.Michael Jackson's moonwalk.

C.Michael Bolton.

A.Moe Howard,B. Curly Howard and C. Larry Fine.

If you have ever watched the classic Stooges short, "Disorder in the Court" , you will see the boys re-enact an incident in a club where they are playing as a band ( Larry on violin, Moe on harmonica and Curly on standup bass)...they really "rock" on this number as their lady friend Gail Tempest dances what had to be a very seductive dance  for that time period and with lots of leg and cleavage showing !( the 30's)...Eddie Money would say. "that girl was shakin'!"

I tell you Curly "moonwalked" 50 years before Michael, Moe wore the Beatles moptop 40 years before the lads did, and Larry had the Michael Bolton frizzy hair with the high forehead long before the other Michael did.

Also 40 years before Led Zeppelin and other bands were "trashing" hotel rooms, the Stooges were destroying whole floors and complete houses.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Re: They inspired Pop music and get no credit.

And all these years I thought their haircuts were the brain child of Astrid Kirchherr  and Klaus Voormann

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: They inspired Pop music and get no credit.:
    [QUOTE]And all these years I thought their haircuts were the brain child of Astrid Kirchherr  and Klaus Voormann
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Rumor has it that after the "death" of Paul, Moe posed for the album covers with high heeled shoes and Paul's face was airbrushed in.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

In Response to They inspired Pop music and get no credit.:
    [QUOTE]Possibly not pop music's biggest inspiration, but consider: A.The hair styles sported by the Beatles ( especially Ringo) on "Meet the Beatles." B.Michael Jackson's moonwalk. C.Michael Bolton. A.Moe Howard,B. Curly Howard and C. Larry Fine. If you have ever watched the classic Stooges short, "Disorder in the Court" , you will see the boys re-enact an incident in a club where they are playing as a band ( Larry on violin, Moe on harmonica and Curly on standup bass)...they really "rock" on this number as their lady friend Gail Tempest dances what had to be a very seductive dance  for that time period and with lots of leg and cleavage showing !( the 30's)...Eddie Money would say. "that girl was shakin'!" I tell you Curly "moonwalked" 50 years before Michael, Moe wore the Beatles moptop 40 years before the lads did, and Larry had the Michael Bolton frizzy hair with the high forehead long before the other Michael did. Also 40 years before Led Zeppelin and other bands were "trashing" hotel rooms, the Stooges were destroying whole floors and complete houses.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    Seriously, It's very possible the Beatles, Michael Jackson and Michael Bolton watched a lot of Three Stooges on the Tellie.  The latter three could have been consciously and subconsciously influenced.  After all, didn't our parents tell us they were going to turn off the TV if we acted like the Three Stooges.  We said we wouldn't.  But when the commercial came on we were running around and rolling all over the floor, acting similar to them anyway!

"There are three kinds of people, those that can count and those that can't."   Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk nyuk nyuk!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

you know, now that you mention it

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Very good Zilla

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

indeed

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I think also, that Shemp was the first to wear what would be a very popular hairstyle in the punk rock circles.

I learned that Larry really was a musical talent playing violin and piano.Moe knew how to play guitar ( likely acoustic) and Curly and Shemp mostly were known for their dancing ability ...or lack thereof.

I also often think of the Stooges as being the originators of the sitcom. Most comedy stories on the big screen before the Stooges were full length movies, the Stooges were the first to have a humorous film that was shorter than half an hour.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

How about Iggy Pop and the Stooges?  I really don't know much about them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]How about Iggy Pop and the Stooges?  I really don't know much about them.
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]

Here's what you need to know:

Iggy is the godfather of punk and was from Detroit. The Stooges ( not the comedy Stooges) were two brothres who along with Iggy were heavy drug users. The music was pretty darn good , if you like raw punk rock. Later on Iggy would make more commercial sounding music ( possibly because of his friendship with David Bowie) but would never achieve success in the mainstream.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Yeah, but what about Iggy's uncanny resemblance to Shemp, especially when Shemp takes his shirt off?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Yeah, but what about Iggy's uncanny resemblance to Shemp, especially when Shemp takes his shirt off?

Nice.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

I think Mickey Dolentz the drummer/singer of the Monkees looks a lot like Moe Howard or Shemp.  Weren't Shemp and Moe brothers or was it another pair? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I think Mickey Dolentz the drummer/singer of the Monkees looks a lot like Moe Howard or Shemp.  Weren't Shemp and Moe brothers or was it another pair? 
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]

The Stooges who were brothers: Moe ( born Moses Horowitz), Curly ( born Jerome Horowitz ...also known as "Babe", which coincidently was also the name of Shemp's wife), Shemp ( born Sam Horowitz).

Larry was of no relation, born Louis Feinberg.

Shemp was actually the first to choose a career in comedy, convincing Moe to join. Larry was chosen as the 3rd Stooge because the act needed a third funny looking fellow and he fit the bill. Shemp would leave the act before they started their legendary short films. He was replaced ( much to the delight of millions) by Curly but Shemp later rejoined when Curly became too ill to work. There is one short that features Curly as a guest ( I believe it is "Hold That Lion") where Curly plays the man sleeping on the train. Also of note, Solomon Horowitz father of Moe, Shemp and Curly appears as a member of the jury on "Disorder in the Court" , a classic short and one of the very best.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

I shoot an arrow into the air, and where it lands I do not care, I get my arrows wholesale

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]I shoot an arrow into the air, and where it lands I do not care, I get my arrows wholesale

Or one of my favorites:

"Say a few syllables kid, tell me your name so I can tell your mother."

..."My mother knows my name!"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SlimPickensII. Show SlimPickensII's posts

I'd say the Stooges influence extended far beyond Music.

Cooking for instance.  Watch that epsidoe where Curly battles the Oyster.  Then watch an early Julia Child, wrestling with a chicken.  You can't miss the similarities.

Before the Fridge and Walter Payton,  before John Riggins and the Hogs,  there were the Three Horsemen.  Watch James Brown feinting, shucking, and jiving. Tell me he didn't learn those shake and bake moves from Curly.

Steve Cauthen, Willie Shoemaker?  The secrets to their jockeying success are no doubt hidden in chile pepperinos.  Curly showed them the way.

As I type this I realize it's not even a Stooges influence, it's all one man. One great man. Curly Howard, I salute you.

Sections
Shortcuts