They Were Not Really Hair Metal Bands

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

They Were Not Really Hair Metal Bands

We have had several discussions on the 80's and the music it spawned. A couple of these conversations were directly related to the Hair Band scene. And in that, many bands have been lumped into the genre that really don't belong for one reason or another.

I think many of us have touched on Def Leppard. There pop influenced Hard Rock may have created the musical forum, but we can all agree that they weren't a Hair Band.

Here are a few others:

Tesla - Serious RnR chops
    Slaughter - A party band
    Trixter - A Jersey band
    Kix - A New England Band

I also give you Cinderella and Dokken. They may have been pushed by their record labels to go heavy on the eyeliner and hair spray, but their music was far more bluesy and edgier.

Kings of the Hair Bands:

Bon Jovi
    Poison
    Europe
    Nelson
    Twisted Sister

What do you all think?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Re: They Were Not Really Hair Metal Bands

In all honesty, trying to separate hard rock from heavy metal to hair band -- my brain melts down.

So here's how I look at it, right or wrong and probably wrong. Hair band is all about the look. Back in the '80s at least, that's sort of what took a hard rock band to the next step of heavy metal -- the hair band look. Musically, to me, it's hard to distinguish between hard rock and heavy metal back then. Maybe metal has a bit more edge to it perhaps, a certain sound like art -- I know what metal is when I hear it.

Bon Jovi a hair band? Perhaps back then. Take how they looked back then and just listen to the music and to me, they sound like a really good hard rock band.

Now I haven't listened to as many groups in the hair band/heavy metal genre as others so I'll admit I could be completely off base with how I'm defining things.

Maybe it's this. Find a good distinction between hard rock and heavy metal and that's how you seperate those two genres. Because I think hair band is all about the look more than the sound, you then could put hair bands in both categories.

My brain is starting to really melt down as I'm thinking about this too long, so I'll stop now.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Of all the bands mentioned, Dokken and Def Leppard are my favorites. I like some Twisted Sister.

I think Whitesnake has been lumped in with "Hair Bands."

I don't like long hair, personally. But's it's a choice , I feel more comfortable with shorter hair and , right now, because of the long, hot summer my hair is about as short as it's been since I was 4 or 5 years old. I sort of have the George Clooney look going with the salt and pepper... but still a full head of hair, no rogaine for this cat! I inherited good genes and doubt I'll ever be balding.

The look of a band has never been a priorty with me. Always preferred to "listen" rather than "see" a band. MTV once had non-stop music video , and we had Midnight Special and Don Kirshner's rock concert to show us the visual. And, yes, it was kind of cool to see the bands, but there was no stereo T.V. back then , at least not for us peasants....so we sacrificed sound for visual.

Long story short ( well, I guess it could've been shorter, if I hadn't rambled on) , in the words of josetavares, 'Who cares' whether the hair is long or short, either they can rock or they can't. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ForumCleaner. Show ForumCleaner's posts

I think metal is a spectrum and bands like Poison, Twisted Sister, Motley Crue, Skid Row, etc occupied the rockier end of it. But as a metalhead who grew up in the 80s, I still think of them as hair metal bands or hair bands. I also think of some of the harder bands as hair metal too. Bands from the LA scene might have taken it to a rediculous level, but even Ozzy, Metalica and Megadeath could be "hair bands" at times.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

I think some bands became Hair bands from some other genre, as they crossed into the '80s.

KISS started as Hard Rock, but became Hair Rock after they took off their masks.

Whitesnake started as Blues Rock, but became Hair Rock, especially with songs like Is This Love and Here I Go Again.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Where would you put Ratt ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpax64. Show rpax64's posts

In Response to They Were Not Really Hair Metal Bands:
    [QUOTE]We have had several discussions on the 80's and the music it spawned. A couple of these conversations were directly related to the Hair Band scene. And in that, many bands have been lumped into the genre that really don't belong for one reason or another. I think many of us have touched on Def Leppard. There pop influenced Hard Rock may have created the musical forum, but we can all agree that they weren't a Hair Band. Here are a few others: Tesla - Serious RnR chops Slaughter - A party band Trixter - A Jersey band Kix - A New England Band I also give you Cinderella and Dokken. They may have been pushed by their record labels to go heavy on the eyeliner and hair spray, but their music was far more bluesy and edgier. Kings of the Hair Bands: Bon Jovi Poison Europe Nelson Twisted Sister What do you all think?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpax64. Show rpax64's posts

Kix was not a New England band...they are from the Virginia/Maryland area

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Thanks - I don't know why I keep thinking they were from Mass.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

I think there is a slight distinction between more glam rock-influenced bands and those who were just ripoffs of Van Halen and the whole LA-Sunset Strip Scene.  But there were also true euro-inspired metal acts who were a whole different aesthetic.

Plus, this was the 80s, after all, when image was paramount with the advent of MTV.  Looking back, the bands that fared best were those who kept true to their influences.  To me, "Master Of Puppets" holds up much better than, say, "Slippery When Wet".

Further, there were definite distinctions between heavy metal bands like Metallica and Slayer vs. Bon Jovi and Poison.  Ironically, the notion of NOT having an image is still an image of itself.  At the time, the difference was between "real" metal bands and "poseurs", and very few managed to be both (i.e. Guns N' Roses). 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Ironically, the notion of NOT having an image is still an image of itself.  At the time, the difference was between "real" metal bands and "poseurs", and very few managed to be both (i.e. Guns N' Roses).  [Matty]

Well said. I think Tesla were also one of those bands who managed to stay true to who they were; just a bunch of long hairs playing the music they loved.

And I guess that is why Def Lep were my favorite band back then. They were who they were, even after the success of Pyromania - just a bunch of long haired kids from Sheffield who played the music they liked.

And it is what annoyed me about Cinderella - musically, I thought they were as good or superior than any of the bands from that era. Their blues influenced rock had a serious kick to it. But when the scene crashed, they crashed and burned with it.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

In Response to Re: They Were Not Really Hair Metal Bands:
    [QUOTE] Ironically, the notion of NOT having an image is still an image of itself.  At the time, the difference was between "real" metal bands and "poseurs", and very few managed to be both (i.e. Guns N' Roses).  [Matty] Well said. I think Tesla were also one of those bands who managed to stay true to who they were; just a bunch of long hairs playing the music they loved. And I guess that is why Def Lep were my favorite band back then. They were who they were, even after the success of Pyromania - just a bunch of long haired kids from Sheffield who played the music they liked. And it is what annoyed me about Cinderella - musically, I thought they were as good or superior than any of the bands from that era. Their blues influenced rock had a serious kick to it. But when the scene crashed, they crashed and burned with it.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Agreed.  As I said previously, I saw Tesla open for Def Leppard, and to me, they just rocked harder and seemed more...hungry, I guess.

I was a Def Leppard fan before and during Pyromania, but Hysteria was a bit of a letdown for me even though its first two tracks were (and are) two of my favorites.  And I was the only kid in my class who actually knew who Mott The Hoople and T. Rex were.

Also agreed that the backlash against pop metal was indiscriminate and took down a lot of bands who perhaps didn't deserve it.  But I also understand that in the art world, you can live or die by stylistic excess.  In other words, style can only take you so far; in the end, the art still has to hold up on its own merit.

There's no doubt that there is a corrupting influence to success, and only the truly great ones rise above it, persevere and provide a lasting influence.

OK, off of my soapbox   ;)