Think of a song you like alot because it's lyrics describe something you identify with yourself.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Think of a song you like alot because it's lyrics describe something you identify with yourself.

One of my favorite songwriters is a Canadian dude named Craig Northey.  He is such a good writer that Pete Townshend asked him to pen a song that might be used by The Who.  Craig submitted one called Write It In Lightning, it ended up not being used, but even to be asked by Pete says something.

A couple of my favorite lyrics by him that I can identify with:

1) Mercy to Go.  This song is about dealing with people who are a real burden to you and who invade your space.  It talks about having a certain amount of compassion for them, but basically you would just like to be rid of them.

2) Someone Who's Cool.  This song is about creating an image of yourself for others to see, that isn't really you but that gets you through your life.

It was the suit that got me the gig
    It was the tear that got me the girl
    I'm a sheep in this wolf's clothing
    I'm a picture that I'm holding
    Of someone who is cool

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

Re: Think of a song you like alot because it's lyrics describe something you identify with yourself.

Big Ten Inch Record - Aerosmith.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

When growing up, the three songs I thought connected most to me were Star by David Bowie from the Ziggy Album, Can You See The Real Me by The Who from Quadrophenia and Every Picture Tells a Story by Rod Stewart from the album of the same name.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

One - U2 and the reason is very personal

tcal2-    NICE

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Not to be taken literally, of course:

True Faith - New Order
    Teenage Riot - Sonic Youth (younger me)
    Slow Emotion Replay - The The
    Show Biz Kids - Steely Dan
    Black Peter - Grateful Dead
    The Joker - Steve Miller Band
    If 6 Was 9 - Jimi Hendrix
    Heart Of Gold - Neil Young

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Brick - Ben Folds
    Jessey beat me to Can you see the real me
    Never Going Back Again - Fleetwood Mac
    Guinevere - CSNY

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

It Don't Bring You - MC Carpenter
    More Than This - Roxy Music

There are more, of course.  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Think of a song you like alot because it's lyrics describe something you identify with yourself.:
    [QUOTE]It Don't Bring You - MC Carpenter More Than This - Roxy Music There are more, of course.  :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I can definitely see "More Than This". Great choice.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In Response to Re: Think of a song you like alot because it's lyrics describe something you identify with yourself.:
    [QUOTE]More Than This - Roxy Music
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Good song...made even better and more poignant by its appearance in Lost In Translation (great flick).  Also, check the intense cover version by Robyn Hitchcock.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"If it Doesn't Come Naturally, Leave It" - Al Stewart

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I was listening to a song this morning that I think I should mention as it is relevent to my O.P.

'Ordinary Man' by Triumph

Specifically these lyrics:

"The more I get to see, the less I understand"

and:

"I'm just the same as you, I just do the best I can...
    ...that's the only answer...answer...for an ordinary man..."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Zilla, that lyric ("The more I get to see, the less I understand") reminds me of U2's lyrics from City of Blinding Light:

The more you see the less you know
    The less you find out as you go
    I knew much more then, than I do now

Which I relate to myself.

Country Road by John Denver has a special place in my heart.  My mom and I moved around for a lot of not so good reasons, and I always longed for a place to call home.  Maybe I wished I could relate to that song, but a technicality.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from WhatIsItNow. Show WhatIsItNow's posts

Five to one....(sung by the man at top left of this post...)  perhaps. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"There Are More Questions Than Answers" - Johnny Nash

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

in the same vein as tcal:

big balls - ac/dc

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

She Only Sleeps With Me - David Byrne
    Wicked Way - Ben Taylor
    What the F Was I Thinking - Jenny Owens Youngs
    Brass In My Pocket - Chrissie Hynde

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Behind Blue Eyes from Who's Next was always kind of personal to me.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

You can read the lyrics or play the whole song here:

Sad Song, by Hardy Hemphill

There are many times in my life I could relate perfectly.  My best childhood friend, killed in a car accident when I was 7 and he was 6.  Divorce.  Depression.  My grandmother's death...she was my best friend from the day I was born.

"Through my grief I've come to value the sacred song of sadness that I hear," is my favorite line.  Those things have shaped me.  A lot.  And, I like who I am.