This is how creativity works: Invent Bob Dylan quotes (then go down in flames)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

This is how creativity works: Invent Bob Dylan quotes (then go down in flames)

The next time you grab a quote, or believe a quote that you read to be real and true, in a work of non-fiction, it won't be your fault if the author of the work fabricated what was presented and published.

Moral of the story: He who misquotes Bob Dylan is destined to get caught.  

Jonah Lehrer, the author of the book, "Imagine: How Creativity Works" (and I laugh as I write this because how dumb, yet bold, and what displaced values can a writer have to fabricate and lie when he's writing about creativity?!) following a series of denials regarding questionable quotes by Bob Dylan, has finally admitted that he "made up" quotes, and has resigned his post at the New Yorker.  

He needed to lie about quotations by Dylan?  He got caught and still denied what he had done, creating an even more intricate web of lies.    A self-proclaimed "Dylan-obsessive" read the book, and became dubious that some of the quotes in Lehrer's book were unsubstantiated; he was right.  

Love him or hate him, Dylan did nothing wrong here -- no one should be putting words in his mouth and passing them off as direct quotes.  Nope. Don't do that.  Hope no one here read the book and bought into it.  The publisher has pulled the book.   You might not think this is a deal, but in the world of publishing, it is HUGE; misquoting Bob Dylan (or anyone, for that matter) is not taken lightly.

"So what exactly did Lehrer fabricate about Dylan? The entire tale is chronicled by a self-proclaimed Dylan obsessive writing for online magazine Tablet, who personally questioned Lehrer about source material for many Dylan quotes. After a lengthy back-and-forth, Lehrer gave it up: He fabricated, manipulated and merged Dylan quotes to suit his argument in the first chapter of Imagine, an examination of how neuroscience explains creative genius. They’re small tweaks to actual Dylan quotes, or ordinary kinds of statements that seem reasonable for the press-shy-and-prickly Dylan to say – utterances like, “stop asking me to explain” in regards to his lyrical inspiration."

And from the Christian Science Monitor, that honorable bastian of the news (HA HA)  :)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: This is how creativity works: Invent Bob Dylan quotes (then go down in flames)

Many have tried over the years to explain the genius that is Bob Dylan. Even Dylan has a hard time expressing his own creative process. For his part, Dylan has repeatedly said "I have nothing to say about these things I write, I just write them. Please stop asking me to explain."

So if that is the case, and the title of Lehrer's book was(is) "Imagine, How Creativity Works," -- he clearly didn't research his subject.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: This is how creativity works: Invent Bob Dylan quotes (then go down in flames)

And, not to beat a dead horse, but you really have to wonder what kind of pressure this kid was under to fabricate these quotes. Dylan's dislike of the media is so well known, as is his reluctance to look back on his life and discuss his career in any detail. Even Martin Scorsese could not convince Dylan to open up for his PBS special. So why did this kid think he could?  Or better yet, why did he think anyone would believe him. Human nature is one thing, but this writer had to know that he would get caught.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: This is how creativity works: Invent Bob Dylan quotes (then go down in flames):
    [QUOTE]And, not to beat a dead horse, but you really have to wonder what kind of pressure this kid was under to fabricate these quotes. Dylan's dislike of the media is so well known, as is his reluctance to look back on his life and discuss his career in any detail. Even Martin Scorsese could not convince Dylan to open up for his PBS special. So why did this kid think he could?  Or better yet, why did he think anyone would believe him. Human nature is one thing, but this writer had to know that he would get caught.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

Probably very complicated all in all, agreed.  Even the tiniest of changes in a quote or data used to make a point will ultimately be detected, even years after a work has been published.  There are experts out here in the world on just about everything, and certainly Dylan-ophiles that have studied the man, his art, his music, all of him inside out.  It would seem that only a very naive person would fabricate the facts of his life or words in any way ... but this writer didn't fit that description at all.  Guess he, like others, never expected to get caught.  It should prove to be a cautionary tale, but it won't be.  Can't imagine even feeling "right" ethically doing such a thing, and not going back to change what I knew was out of bounds.  But, obviously, this writer didn't even have common sense, let alone ethics.   He'll rise again, no doubt, maybe even write a book about why he lied.  That would be the ultimate irony, you know?  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Bless Woody.

The guy died before anyone had a chance to lionize him so ridiculously.

Now bands are grafting music to the literally hundreds of letters and poems he wrote and coming up with gold.

See: Auden

"Base words are uttered only by the base
    And can for such at once be understood;
    But noble platitudes — ah, there's a case
    Where the most careful scrutiny is needed
    To tell a voice that's genuinely good
    From one that's base but merely has succeeded... "

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: This is how creativity works: Invent Bob Dylan quotes (then go down in flames):
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: This is how creativity works: Invent Bob Dylan quotes (then go down in flames) : Put another way, there's no getting around the fact that there are more poseurs than practitioners... ...and that the line between the two groups is both razor-thin and constantly changing. The quote from Auden came to me from reading about the passing of the irascible Gore Vidal...and again today as Andy Warhol's birthday....
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Andy Warhol's birthday was yesterday?  What a month for birthdays so far.  I just love him. 

Sorry to keep harping ... but to tie in, I've been looking at quite a bit of Emily Dickenson's poetry lately, for absolutely no reason, just got started one day.  (note, poetry in general is not my thing, although my affinity to some of it runs hot and cold); I am, however, a true fan of Emily D.  

She and Andy could have had a rip-roaring convo about fame.   Come to think of it ... that would make a great play ... maybe I should remove this post. :)  Here's Emily's take on fame, written during her lifetime, almost 100 years before Warhol's famous quote about "15 minutes of fame" (she so had him beat, didn't she?) :

Fame is a Bee

Fame is a bee
    It has a song
    It has a sting
    Ah, too, it has a wing.  

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Sorry to get political, but liberal rags like New Yorker make up blind BS all the time, and then complain about Fox. And fck Fox 2
    Posted by GreginMeffa[/QUOTE]

Greg,
    Well, your comment is fine with me (but doesn't really fit the OP, my friend) -- but agree.

We live in a media-hyped society where there's a slant or bias to most news sources.   Then again, you can always read more than one news source, to get more than one viewpoint.  Who does that?   

Somehow we manage to discuss music here, and our differences in taste and knowledge only prove to enhance the discussions; some of the best discussions are when the group is not in sync, in fact; we don't even need to "agree to disagree", because we're listening to each other; we don't comment to attain consesus.  It's truly artful when the comments coalesce, and that isn't necessarily based on everyone leaning in the same direction.

Creativity at work.  :)