This thread is for country fans

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

This thread is for country fans

Which probably just means me. Oh well. If you like country or roots music you should really check out this band. They are one heck of a bluegrass band and they hail from New England (which can also claim clarence and roland white, but I digress). Jon Roc might be the best Mandolin player I've ever heard who didn't hail from Kentucky, Staten Island or New Jersey. The name of the band is Southern Rail, and I hope my friends here enjoy it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vlni2aoQj0w
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOz2BkdCLlc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wkd-4-i0qCs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR5Mpvra28s

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Re: This thread is for country fans

Do you know what happens when you play a country song backwards?

You get your woman back....
    You get your dog back....
    You get a job....
    You get your truck back.....
    and
    You don't have a drinking problem!

Laughing

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I'm here, carnie!

That's some good bluegrass there (Southern Rail).  Is bluegrass the style of country you most like?

I like bluegrass (check out my birthday post on the 3/25 sotd thread), but also a variety of other country as well -- I'm not sure there's even a pattern to what appeals to me.  My disc collection has everything from Jimmie Dale Gilmore and the Flatlanders to Wynonna and Collin Raye.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I just have nothing to offer here - sorry Carnie!!!!!!!!!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: This thread is for country fans:
    Posted by jesseyeric

No Johnny Cash?  (is he country?)   

Country music has such a wide spectrum, doesn't it?  If blue grass is a sub-genre of country (is it?), I'm a goner for Alison Krauss.  Dixie Chicks have done some good tunes, too (alt country rock).   

Don't underestimate us, Carnie (as long as you agree that there's a very broad definition of country / roots / blues, etc. all fused together)   :)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSZfUnCK5qk

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Sr., Merle Haggard, Chet Atkins, Carl Perkins...

I admire a lot of what I would call 'classic country'...

...as well as many country hybrids (Gram Parsons), southern rock, modern bluegrass and the myriad folk-y strains thereof.

However, it's a little harder for me to relate to today's popular country artists (partly cultural) - which strikes me as just as unabashedly commercial and formulaic as the latest hip-hop, pop, club music, etc.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Sr., Merle Haggard, Chet Atkins, Carl Perkins... I admire a lot of what I would call 'classic country'... ...as well as many country hybrids (Gram Parsons), southern rock, modern bluegrass and the myriad folk-y strains thereof. However, it's a little harder for me to relate to today's popular country artists (partly cultural) - which strikes me as just as unabashedly commercial and formulaic as the latest hip-hop, pop, club music, etc. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course....
    Posted by MattyScornD

Yup,  I will listen to the classic country artist -- Anderson, Dolly (I mean Jolene is just an mean song), Jones, Williams, Emmylou, Loretta, Garth, and the Highwaymen (Wille, Haggard, Cash), any day over what has become just un-listenable babble with many of today's mainstream Country artists. I mean how many times can you listen to a song about your dog leaving you, your wife leaving you, your truck leaving you etc... 

Looks have become so associated with today's country artist's that sometimes they overshadow a lack, or a depth of talent  For every Twain, Hill, Mcbride, Reba, Brooks, Mcgraw, Urban, their are a parade of good looking singers that are immediately uninteresting...

Country is huge in many of the more remote places I have lived and worked, and it does grow on you.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Not a huge fan of Country music in general, but I do love to throw in a Lyle Lovett CD and let it go.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Country is huge in many of the more remote places I have lived and worked, and it does grow on you.
    Posted by polar123

No question about its popularity in many parts of the nation - the numbers are staggering - so I don't mean to disparage it outright.  One of the best things about good country music is its tradition of un-self-consciousness.  No small thing, that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'm here, carnie! That's some good bluegrass there (Southern Rail).  Is bluegrass the style of country you most like? I like bluegrass (check out my birthday post on the 3/25 sotd thread), but also a variety of other country as well -- I'm not sure there's even a pattern to what appeals to me.  My disc collection has everything from Jimmie Dale Gilmore and the Flatlanders to Wynonna and Collin Raye.
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich
    I do love bluegrass, but I'm also a big fan of classic country music as well. I always love to throw on some Hank, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Patsy Cline etc.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Two country artists I love are Hank Williams Sr. and George Jones. The Byrds Sweetheart of the Rodeois one of my all-time favorite albums. Also a huge fan of Alison Krauss.

No time to expand on the topic now, maybe later.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'm a huge fan of country-rock (esp. Eagles Desperado album).

And as most people here already know, I'm fanatical about Steve Earle and I love Joe Ely, so I have those artists in common with you, carnie.

When it comes to pure country, I'm very fond of Johnny Cash, Johnny Horton and Dwight Yoakam.  

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Does Chris Isaak count as rockabilly and root(sy)?  I guess this depends on how you want to define country, and he might be a distant cousin, but many of his songs have a decidedly country edge. 

He yodels (sexy)  in some of his songs, too.   :D

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Posted by jesseyeric

I am familiar with the music, but only that we made heavy rotation on radio and whatever appeared on the variety TV shows of the 60's & 70's. Obviously I know the "Who's who" list, but I can't comment much on them. I like Cash, but if you came into my house, I wouldn't have a piece of his music to play for you.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Does Chris Isaak count as rockabilly and root(sy)?  I guess this depends on how you want to define country, and he might be a distant cousin, but many of his songs have a decidedly country edge.  He yodels (sexy)  in some of his songs, too.   :D
    Posted by yogafriend

I'd say he definitely counts. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Some  country artists that I enjoy:

Lucinda Williams
    Gillian Welch
    Gwyneth & Monko

Though I tended to stay away from "Hard Core" country for years (the Loretta Lynn, Dolly Parton, Conway Twitty stuff was not my cup of tea)  I always enjoyed the music which hovered on the fringe.  Artist like Neil Young, the Byrds, Poco, Old and in The Way, Jayhawks, Cowboy Junkies to name just a few, always had a strong country flavor.  Which was something I always enjoyed lot.  Even my beloved Grateful Dead played many country songs which were some of my favorites. (Me and My Uncle, El Paso, Big River).  As I got older my resistance to country has been lowered somewhat.  You could walk into my house and I would be able to play some Johnny Cash,  But 15 years ago I wouldn't have been able to

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I'm a huge fan of country-rock (esp. Eagles Desperado album). When it comes to pure country, I'm very fond of Johnny Cash, Johnny Horton and Dwight Yoakam.  
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut
    Johnny Horton, there's a name I haven't heard in a while. #onky Tonk Man might be one of my favorite songs. Another country artist I've always liked is Mary Chapin Carpenter. Can you believe the posting software here? I had to change the title of the song to get this post up.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: This thread is for country fans : I am familiar with the music, but only that we made heavy rotation on radio and whatever appeared on the variety TV shows of the 60's & 70's. Obviously I know the "Who's who" list, but I can't comment much on them. I like Cash, but if you came into my house, I wouldn't have a piece of his music to play for you.
    Posted by jesseyeric
    That's cool jessey, maybe one of these years you can make it out to SF for Hardly Strictly Bluegrass and I can turn you on to some.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In Response to Re: This thread is for country fans : Johnny Horton, there's a name I haven't heard in a while. #onky Tonk Man might be one of my favorite songs. Another country artist I've always liked is Mary Chapin Carpenter. Can you believe the posting software here? I had to change the title of the song to get this post up.
    Posted by carnie

Yeah, that's a great song.  I like Yoakam's cover of it as well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

In Response to Re: This thread is for country fans : Yeah, that's a great song.  I like Yoakam's cover of it as well.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut
    It's probably why I started listening to Dwight. Well, that and Pete Anderson on the guitar.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Great freakin' line!!!!!

Laughing

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

Carnie, another artist I like is Radney Foster:

Product Details

I think he's kinda between modern country/pop and classic country.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Carnie, another artist I like is Radney Foster: I think he's kinda between modern country/pop and classic country.
    Posted by EnjoyEverySandwich
    I really liked his first album, but haven't listened to him much since. I'm kind of all over the map in my listening habits. Any given day might find me listening to Rock 'n Roll, Jazz, Blues, Country, Bluegrass, obscure folk music or Mozart.

Sections
Shortcuts