Those "Perfect" Little Pop Songs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Those "Perfect" Little Pop Songs

You know the ones.  They can turn the hearts of even the most hardened rock fans, liven up any party, and make the sun shine a little bit brighter, if just for a little while and quite possibly in spite of yourself.

Not the usual "hit du jour", mind you, but popular hits that endure and still sound fresh years or decades later.

Case in point: "You Make My Dreams" by Hall & Oates.

I've never been a big fan, but this song is priceless....a bouncy, funky, toe-tapper that just exudes fun.  It was featured in the recent film "500 Days Of Summer" to both comic and romantic effect.

And I also include tunes like "Blue Sky" (Allman Bros.), which are perfection in themselves, if not necessarily pop, that never waste a note or a feeling.

A few more:

"What Is Life" - George Harrison

"Everybody Wants To Rule The World" - Tears For Fears

"Train In Vain" - The Clash

"Heart Of Gold" - Neil Young

"Superstition" - Stevie Wonder

"What's Going On" - Marvin Gaye

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Those

Sweet Home Alabama- Lynyrd Skynyrd

Backstabbers- The O'Jays

Reflections- Diana Ross and the Supremes

Rock In The Casbah- The Clash

Hit Me With Your Best Shot- Pat Benatar

Hold On Loosely- .38 Special

Magic Man -Heart

Little Lies- Fleetwood Mac

No way I can name all the songs that I can think of that fit this category, I'd be here a week!

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win, you are still a rat."- Lily Tomlin

3. This post has been removed.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Turning Japanese - The Vapors

I melt with you  - Modern English

Radar Love - Golden Earring 

Twist and Shout - Beatles version,although the Isley Brothers is good too.

Hypnotized - Fleetwood Mac

Must of got lost - J. Geils

Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones

Stay with me - Faces

Mexican Radio - Wall of Voodoo

Taking care of business - Bachman Turner Overdrive

American Woman - Guess Who

Won't get fooled again - The Who

Slow Ride - Foghat

"Another day closer to the parade"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

Turning Japanese - The Vapors

I melt with you  - Modern English

Radar Love - Golden Earring 

Twist and Shout - Beatles version,although the Isley Brothers is good too.

Hypnotized - Fleetwood Mac

Must of got lost - J. Geils

Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones

Stay with me - Faces

Mexican Radio - Wall of Voodoo

Taking care of business - Bachman Turner Overdrive

American Woman - Guess Who

Won't get fooled again - The Who

Slow Ride - Foghat

"Another day closer to the parade"

Agreed up until "Slow Ride" gotta be in the mood - most of the time I love the guitar GREAT rock song - other times it's like fingernails on a chalkboard.  Just gotta be in the mood...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Maggie May -- Rod Stewart

Witchita Lineman -- Glen Campbell

Fire and Rain -- James Taylor

Suite Judy Blue Eyes --CSN&Y

Help Me --Joni Mitchell

Iris -- Goo Goo Dolls

Year of the Cat -- Al Stewart

Sara Smile -- Hall & Oates

I'll be Around -- The Spinners

Walk On By -- Dionne Warwick

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

In Between Days - The Cure

Something So Strong - Crowded House

If I Didn't Love You - Squeeze

Skateaway - Dire Straits

No Myth - Michael Penn

Girlfriend - Matthew Sweet

Need You Tonight - INXS

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Kodachrome Simon & Garfunkel

or Mrs. Robinson

Good Vibrations The Beach Boys

Oh' Pretty Woman Roy Orbison

The Dream Police Cheap Trick

Tangled Up In Blue Bob Dylan

My Sharona The Knack

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Great choices.  Some veering off firmly into rock territory, IMO, but that's ok....it's all relative.  I'm thinking more of the concise, gift-wrapped 2-3-4 minute variety, ergo:

"You Make Loving Fun" - Fleetwood Mac

"Imagine" - Lennon

"All I Really Want To Do" - Dylan / Byrds

"(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes" - Elvis C.

"Livin' Thing" - ELO

"Colour My World" - Chicago

"Yesterday Girl" - Smithereens

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Time After Time - Cyndi Lauper

Beautiful Day - U2

Say You Love Me - Fleetwood Mac

Tupelo Honey - Van Morrison

I'll Be There - The Jackson 5

Don't Dream It's Over -Crowded House

Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing - Stevie Wonder

and

Squeeze  Singles - 45's and Under (say the entire album and get it over with)  =)   (does it get any better than this?

"Just as kindness knows no shame, know through all your joy and pain, that I'll be loving you alwa

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Squeeze  Singles - 45's and Under (say the entire album and get it over with)  =)   (does it get any better than this?

"Just as kindness knows no shame, know through all your joy and pain, that I'll be loving you alwa

Great call.  They def knew their way around popville.

Along with proper albums, I actually own this AND 'greatest hits'; the latter having some of their overlooked-but-still-pretty-darn-great mid-to-late 80s stuff.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

Come on Eileen -  Dexy's Midnight Riders

Crazy Little Thing Called Love -  Queen

Africa  - Toto 

Hey Soul Sister  - Train

I do   -  J. Geils

Sultans of Swing   - Dire Straits 

Be My Baby - Ronettes

Saturday in the Park  - Chicago

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

There were a couple pretty good Simon & Garfunkel songs already mentioned, to which I would certainly add Cecilia and maybe even Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard.

Southside Johnny's I Don't Want to Go Home (and probably We're Having a Party, too) come to mind and this topic wouldn't be complete without Prince's Delirious.

Now you listen here! He's not the Messiah . . .   he's a very naughty boy!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Great call.  They def knew their way around popville.

Along with proper albums, I actually own this AND 'greatest hits'; the latter having some of their overlooked-but-still-pretty-darn-great mid-to-late 80s stuff.

Back in the day . A few cold beers and listening to Squeeze was a good way to relax and think all will be well.. Who doesnt know all the words to Goodbye Girl???

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Harvey-Wallbanger's comment:

When I hear "pop" I think the fine line between good and cheese.

Then I think of Journey. lol

I readily admit that if I was 18-23 in 1980, I probably would have been going to Journey shows because of the chicks, but also probably liking Journey.  teehheehee

In all seriousness, pop music used to be good until the Beatles came around, or Michael Jackson or Madonna and the record companies realized if they copied a formula, they could recreate the success.

But, once in a while, there is that pop song that has the hook and is wrapped up tight in that 3:30 time spot that is quite good. Then, you get sick of it and never listen to it again for a decade. lol 

Banger (like the nickname?), your "definition" of pop music is getting in your way.   Pop music, like rock or any music,  has the terrible and awful, as well as the "perfect" (as in this thread) and sublime.  

Additionally, Journey is not a "pop" band.   They're a rock band.   I don't know, but I'd put them into classic rock, or maybe they straddle the line.    Same with Foreiger.   NOT groups that are popular in this forum ... I can tell you that.   hahahah.     I saw a kid in a talent show who said that his music teacher played, "Don't Stop Believin" for his class, and this kid had never even heard of Journey, but fell in love with the song.   Cute, huh?     Maybe the music is power pop, or some such thing, but the lyrics are often very upbeat, or about topics for coming of age (love, broken hearts, "waiting for a girl ..." ) , so kids are still drawn to it to this day, for better or worse.  

Squeeze is just Squeeze.    Never thought of them as a pop band in my life, TBH.   They sing "pop rock" perhaps, but they're not a pop band.    To each their own, but you have no idea what you're missing if you've never heard the Squeeze Singles album all the way through, from start to finish.  Not one bad track, and a ton of fun.     "Tempted" and "Black Coffee in Bed" are both on it, for starters ...  Smile

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Ah Lea - Donnie Iris

A Girl Like You - Edwin Collins

Voices - Russ Ballard

Crazy - Knarls Barkley

Mr Blue Sky - ELO

Fire On High - ELO

Drive - The Cars

Agree with Squeeze - they have a lot more to offer than the Singles 45 & Under. Great band live too, got to meet them backstage when they went on tour with Paul Carrak years ago - very congenial bunch of guys.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Some Sixties gems:

Midnight Confessions - Grass Roots

The Letter - Box Tops

Happy Together - Turtles

Cherish - Association

To Love Somebody - Bee Gees

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Oh ya, this one too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwx8Voq373A

20. This post has been removed.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

When Squeeze first started they were known as UK Squeeze... Which I beleive 1 album was released under that name..

For pop I turn to Madness myself..Lots of catchy poppy tunes

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

You know the ones.  They can turn the hearts of even the most hardened rock fans, liven up any party, and make the sun shine a little bit brighter, if just for a little while and quite possibly in spite of yourself.

Not the usual "hit du jour", mind you, but popular hits that endure and still sound fresh years or decades later.

Case in point: "You Make My Dreams" by Hall & Oates.

I've never been a big fan, but this song is priceless....a bouncy, funky, toe-tapper that just exudes fun.  It was featured in the recent film "500 Days Of Summer" to both comic and romantic effect.

And I also include tunes like "Blue Sky" (Allman Bros.), which are perfection in themselves, if not necessarily pop, that never waste a note or a feeling.

A few more:

"What Is Life" - George Harrison

"Everybody Wants To Rule The World" - Tears For Fears

"Train In Vain" - The Clash

"Heart Of Gold" - Neil Young

"Superstition" - Stevie Wonder

"What's Going On" - Marvin Gaye

Great topic.

• "You Make My Dreams" - Don't know it.
    • "What Is Life" - George Harrison - Genius.
    • "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" - Tears For Fears - Throwaway rubbish
    • "Train In Vain" - The Clash - simple brilliance.  Laughable when 1981 Mohawk phonies trash it.  Idiots.
    • "Heart Of Gold" - Neil Young:  Eh...not my thing....100% great, but 0% where my heart is
    • "Superstition" - Stevie Wonder:  Uber genius...among the top 10 (?) tracks of all time IMO
    • "What's Going On" - Marvin Gaye: Eh....not my thing....but let's face it, it was mostly the main Top and Al Cleveland that wrote it.....Marvin Gaye (great voice, I'm a fan) has only a marginally stronger claim to the song than Cyndi Lauper.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

I am absolutely not a Punk...that's absurd.  I'm also not an arch-Garage Punk even though that is what I now love most.  I'm an outsider (surprise!) in the Garage Punk scene because I think there are only a handful of 60's "Punk" or "Garage Punk" bands that stand up to modern or, oof, "Garage Revival" bands.

• Everybody knows that Mick Avory was the drummer at the first proper Stones gig.  Everyone knows the Davies brothers (BTW, it's pronounced the same as "Davis") grew up in Muswell Hill.  But it's laughable/embarrassing that anything under the radar is either ignored or misunderstood:  Whenever you here the song "Dirty Water", or the band the Standells, portrayed as "from Boston", stick your finger down your throat and kick a beer can at a pensioner.  It's totally false.  I like the Standells a bit, and actually know them a little bit.  LA band (hence their many tv cameos).....they didn't even write the song "Dirty Water", their manager Ed Cobb wrote it.  If you give a sh1t about bands from Boston in the 60s - and if you don't, at least encourage your children to look beyond what "everyone knows" - it's all about the Remains.  By a wide margin the best Boston 60s band, IMO, but history writes about the winners.
    • Ah, back to the original point.  About 12 (?) years ago (14?) there was a major hit by some band called "the Hansons" or similar called "mmmbop" or similar.  I thought it was great! Not exactly my thing - a bit lightweight - but brilliant, catchy pop. [I'm going to assume they wrote it (for DD!)]  I posted on the famous Garage Punk website (btw, I don't care if you like GP - it's just rock'n'roll...if you like the Beatles, Stones, Kinks, etc. you will almost certainly love "Garage Punk"....if you are interested in rock'n'roll or passion PM to join) that I thought it was really good...and if the Monkees (beloved by many 60s-ish people) had released it they'd all love it.  I was slaughtered....didn't care, art is subjective....but about 5 years ago elsewhere I read someone else writing exactly what I wrote.  I've instructed my lawyers to recover as much of the £0.00 the were paid as possible.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"Little Baby" - Howlin' Wolf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw-8wrqKPOk

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

"Perfect Day" - Lou Reed

As much of a lush pop song as the man ever did (with help from Bowie and Ronson), it really stands as one of his greatest solo achievements.

It's long been a part of my personal funerary mix...even before Trainspotting (though it was eerie hearing it in that context for the first time).

And given recent events, I can even heed the cover version by Susan Boyle...(!)

Sections
Shortcuts