Those "Perfect" Little Pop Songs

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Those

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

"Perfect Day" - Lou Reed

As much of a lush pop song as the man ever did (with help from Bowie and Ronson), it really stands as one of his greatest solo achievements.

It's long been a part of my personal funerary mix...even before Trainspotting (though it was eerie hearing it in that context for the first time).

And given recent events, I can even heed the cover version by Susan Boyle...(!)

Susan Boyle does a "mean" cover of "Wild Horses" too, but I was loathe to mention that in my "horses" thread.  (actually, it didn't occur to me at the time)  :P    That lady is one of the ultimate success stories to come out of the pitiful AI, which launched her music career and made her dreams come true.    Still, some people do think she destroys whatever she covers ...   hahah.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Oh Yoga, Matty....Susan Boyle juxtaposed with Lou Reed?  Please tell me I've missed a joke.  :-)))

Lou Reed?  His death is greatly lamented by me. Not in my top.....40-50 artists.  But a musician I respected even though his music rarely touched me but, importantly, touched and influenced generations of people.

Two of my few beloved love songs are about heroin:  "Perfect Day" and "Golden Brown".

There was a BBC charity single a few years ago.....I loathed most of the participants, tolerated some, liked a handful.  But it really touched me.  Still does.  It's the composition:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uN90xB7DswE

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:

Oh Yoga, Matty....Susan Boyle juxtaposed with Lou Reed?  Please tell me I've missed a joke.  :-)))

Yes, there was a bit of humor infused into my response.  (I knew I'd probably catch hell, but it's always a test to see who is reading the threads ...so thank you).   Also, I had a thread on two "horse" songs, so I decided to weave the threads together with my response here.

Look, Boyle was a hapless unknown who got her chance to fulfill a dream quite out of the blue.  Her voice is quite average, I do not own any of her recordings, but she has captured the hearts of many, for better or worse.    She has youtube to thank, you know.  :)

She will not be pursued as a music forum topic.   THE END.   

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Purely a tangent re: my love for Reed and that song.

Likewise, I'll never mention her again.

On another note, it's a bit telling to me how beloved Lou Reed is in the UK compared to the US.  

I agree on the outstanding charity version of "Perfect Day", but I'm not sure that would ever happen stateside with the same level of reverence.

Not to sound too glib, but it only figures that UK fans need to remind US fans of the cultural riches in our own backyard...again....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Purely a tangent re: my love for Reed and that song.

Likewise, I'll never mention her again.

On another note, it's a bit telling to me how beloved Lou Reed is in the UK compared to the US.  

I agree on the outstanding charity version of "Perfect Day", but I'm not sure that would ever happen stateside with the same level of reverence.

Not to sound too glib, but it only figures that UK fans need to remind US fans of the cultural riches in our own backyard...again....

You (obviously?) haven't read the comments in the NY Times following Reed's obituary.   His "backyard" was New York City, and they make that abundantly clear.   

Sections
Shortcuts