Ticket prices slashed for LA concerts on Rolling Stones' North American tour

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Ticket prices slashed for LA concerts on Rolling Stones' North American tour

Well, it's happened.   Surprised?  Or predictable at long last?   There's a vast difference between $250.00 - $600.00 and $85.00 for a concert ticket.   See below.  

From SPIN: 

"The Rolling Stones were forced to discount tickets on the first two dates of their North American tour, leading some to speculate that they'll be forced to renegotiate their guarantee — the hefty amount the rock'n'roll legends take home at the end of the night. Their "50 and Counting" tour kicked off at Los Angeles' Staples Center arena on Friday, May 3.

It was a packed house, but only after the high price to enter was slashed.

As Huffington Post reports, tickets in the $250 to $600 range were discounted in the days leading up to the show and a batch of $85 seats were released, which sold out quickly.

Similar cuts had to be made for the Stones' Oakland, California stop on Sunday, May 5. The band is booked at arenas instead of stadiums for this run, making for a more intimate experience but more expensive tickets. VIP packages have been priced as high as $2,000. But hey, they sold out L.A.'s genuinely intimate Echoplex handily, so maybe they can book a tour opening indie venues for Twin Shadow or something.

The Guardian implies that the band will have to take a hit on their purported $20 million promised gross, which, you know ... duh.

All of this despite the fact that the band has been stocking its set with little gifts for their fans.  As Consequence of Sound points out, the Los Angeles show included the first live performance of 1980's funk-dappled "Emotional Rescue" ever (watch that below), plus appearances from Gwen Stefani ("Wild Horses"), Keith Urban ("Respectable"), and Mick Taylor ("Midnight Rambler"). The Oakland gig included a rendition of the old blues "Little Red Rocket" featuring Tom Waits on vocals."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Ticket prices slashed for LA concerts on Rolling Stones' North American tour

You can only milk the cash cow for so long.

Possibly the Stones goose has laid it's final "golden egg."

I used to love them, but it's all over now....(not, really).

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Re: Ticket prices slashed for LA concerts on Rolling Stones' North American tour

Ya, I read that too Yoga in of all places - Rolling Stone Magazine!

Everyone (Zilla included) has a breaking point when it comes to a ticket price.

Didn't they play a club in LA for $5 a tick in the past couple of weeks????

Thought I saw a post here.....Undecided

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to BassFishingII's comment:

1. THey should be embarrassed from the get go.

2. I am glad brokers are now getting completely blasted with the Stones slashing the prices after the brokers bought em all up at the previous price structure.

What bothers me about the pricing for this is why it even needs to be like that in the first place in an economy like this for multi millionaires like them. They look baad doing it. I get the costs for their tours are high, but still.

I have to agree with you in part.   I have nothing against the Stones continuing to tour, but this might be the reality check they (and the ticket brokers) need.   

It might be a sign of the times, or just a sign that on their 50th anniversary, the fans that have seen them multiple times are not willing to shell out the money (again), and younger fans can't afford it.   There are other bands they are willing and able to see for prices they can afford.

Aside from this, they started milking their 50th anniversary well in advance.   As Zilla said above, you can only milk the cash cow for so long.   Hard to know how many other venues on the tour will slash prices, and if this is any indication of what they're up against.  

Hey, 50 years is a good run.  Nothing to feel bad about.  

7. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts