Ticket Prices - Totally Off The Rail.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Ticket Prices - Totally Off The Rail.

This is leading from the Stones thread. Are bands pricing themsleves out of the game?

I recently shelled out $150 and $135 respectivle for tickets to see Aerosmith/Cheap Trick and the Rascals Reunion. Normally I wouldn't have done this accept these shows are more than just concerts for me for various reasons.

I remember the days when I got Orchestra Seats at MSG to see Led Zeppelin for $9.50 and that was when I was feeling "froggy leap". Normally I would pay $6.50 for th nose bleed seats and then sneak down to the orchestra by the time the support band finished. Since I was the first on my block with a credit card, I could go to ticketmaster and buy 10 tickets at $6.50; sell them to my friends @7.50 and basically wind up with a free ticket. And as I mentioned, by the time the headliner hit the stage, we were usually sitting first 5 rows orchestra.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Re: Ticket Prices - Totally Off The Rail.

The price of tickets is one of the main reasons I don't go to many shows now.I have to say though,that I was pleasently surprised that when I saw Sixto Rodriguez at the Iron Horse  in Northampton last month,the tickets were only $21.00 each.I call that a bargain,the best I ever had,the best I ever had(Who's Next).

What I'm wondering is if some of the posters here would be willing to shell out dough for a "Pay per View" concert like what the Stones are offering.Not necessarily for the Stones,but any concert.If it was 5-10 dollars,I'd probably order it.The problem is,it'll be like 50-60 more than likely.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

The market price is what people are willing to pay, right? 

As I mentioned on another thread, I paid $183 per ticket to see Tom Petty this year.  Insane price but I paid it.  A few years ago I paid $300 a ticket to see Paul McCartney.

Tickets for sporting events are also outrageous.  I just bought tickets to see the Toronto Raptors play the LA Lakers at the Air Canada Centre.  They were $175 a pop, and FAR from the most expensive tickets.

When people stop buying, that's when the prices will come down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

As I stated, I would only shell out these prices because it was an event whcih was important to me. Obviously the Rascals Reunion is so big to me. They were the first American band that I sunk my teeth into.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Hence why I often (not always) opt for smaller bands, smaller venues, or festival settings which give more bang for the buck (generally) as well as the opportunity to see bands either on their way up the ladder of success or older acts on the downslope.  Free shows also occur from time to time.

Also, note the trend of double- or triple-bills of known acts (Sublime/Cypress Hill; Blues Traveler/Cracker) as another way of getting a better-than-average fix.

However, I agree that problems sometimes abound with some nostalgia acts, because they know who their audience is.

And then there are other ways:

For example, I got lucky and won tickets on the radio (WERS) last week to see Heartless Bast*rds at the Royale this Friday.  Good, workmanlike, up-and-coming band, and they made one of my favorite albums of the year (so far). 

The show is not sold out, and tickets at the door are only $20, but that's still $20 I won't have to spend out of pocket.  I knew they were playing, but didn't really have a reason to go.  Now I do, and the wife and I can make a fun date night out of it.

For me, the key is to be diligent, flexible and open to new sounds, and some times the rock gods will shine favorably upon thee.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I thought this was about the Red Sox or Yankees.

Hey, you can always drag out those old Stones live CDs and pretend you are at the concert....the sound is great , I'm comfortable at home and no one is being obnoxious.

Come to think of it, this applies to sports as well. I'm comfortable at home, no missing part of the game/show to go to the rest room, standing in line for food, travel, no threat of rain inside my house...why keep the promoters in business?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I have two DVD players.....one is also a recorder and an ever growing collection of DVDs.

I used to only like movie theatres during the afternoon matinee, when it was $2.00 and I was , like, one of four or five people in the theatre. I went by myself to escape summer heat, and ended up enjoying movies so much better when I could hear all the dialogue without people talking to me or idiots coming in partway through the movie.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

I gotta "love" the band to pay the premium  price.

Not gonna pay 3 figures for a so-so band or artist - AND I would go ape sheet if there was any lip synching!

Same with sporting event tix -  I drive down to the Dunk Center in RI for URI tix $10.00 on line same tix $40.00 - $45.00 with all fees - jeff that...not gonna happen.

Sections
Shortcuts