Time to retire Starway to Heaven,Its 40

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Time to retire Starway to Heaven,Its 40

Saw this on scoop.com they had 4 songs that should be retired

Stairway, its over blown over long and over done I agree its time for it to go to the attic and collect dust.

They also listed Free Bird, Songs from an Italian restaurant, and Hotel California.

Now I dont really get why that put in Songs from an Italian restaurant its not really over played I haven't heard it in years actually, maybe it has been retired already.

What songs do you think are ready to be retired, no more radio, no more bad covers at the bars, no more being played even by the band that wrote them ( do you hear me Eagles stop Hotel California just stop it ).

Now you cant be throwing out whole catalogs by artist you dont like that could be another thread what artist do you want retired.

I will go with Stairway and Hotel California as a good start.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Re: Time to retire Starway to Heaven,Its 40

Well you could probably add songs like Layla and Sultans of Swing.  But on the other hand the reason they've been played into the dust is that they're such good songs.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I will add "Pour Some Sugar on Me"; "Born in the USA"; and any song by Bon Jovi.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In Response to Re: Time to retire Starway to Heaven,Its 40:
    [QUOTE]I will add "Pour Some Sugar on Me"; "Born in the USA"; and any song by Bon Jovi.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Could not agree more on "Born in the USA.. "Hotel California can definitely be put out to pasture as well

Stairway, the song is a masterpiece, and Pages' guitar still puts me in a good mood. If ever there was a song that has held up well after 40 years (minus pretty much anything the Beatles wrote), it is that one.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Personally I think Hotel California holds up because of the guitar intro and of course the great twin guitar ending.  I also think Henley nailed it pretty good with the allegorical lyrics.  What can I say, I still like that song, man. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Why retire any song like Stairway? Hotel California? Born in the USA?

So, we can listen to the "auto tune" crap put out today?

Change your radio station.....Wink

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

No offense to some posters, but some of these songs are the reason classic rock radio is such a tired cliche.

That said, the age of the song is irrelevant.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I disagree about Stairway, Freebird and Layla. They might have been overplayed back in the day, but now, I rarely hear them on the radio. Of course, I have trouble finding stations I like listening too, so I'm inclined to listen to talk radio or CDs in my car and my iPod elsewhere.

The only song that my still be overplayed that were named is Hotel California -- it's played on both classic rock stations and soft rock station.

To me, the biggest overplayed song is Carry on Wayward Son. I swear, I hear that song every time I turn on the radio. I used to love that song, but now I change stations when it comes on.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

what about the kids hearing stairway for the first time?  i remember when that happened to me.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

You do not "retire" old songs, nor do you stop enjoying the paintings of the great impressionists.

If you are sick of hearing something , there are two knobs on your radio. OFF and CHANGE CHANNEL, or maybe simply throw the damn thing out the window.

Do not speak for all of us in saying you are sick of a song. I am sick of YMCA ( I hated it the first time I heard it!), I do not listen to stations that play it, I do not own a copy of it, would not allow it in my CD player and block my ears if possible when I have to be subject to it. Retire it ???? Hell no, there are demented, disturbed people that like this song, but they are people too. There are millions of dopes who watch reality T.V. , I understand that we all have distinct tastes, this is one I have trouble understanding...but , if people want it ...give it to them, just don't force me to watch. If I said we should "retire" 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree' or sappy love songs like 'Muskrat Love' ...could you agree? I hate these songs, but sadly we have people in society that do not, faiir is fair. So play 'Crazy Train' and 'Paranoid', 'Smoke on the Water' and 'Stairway to Heaven' to your hearts content , I never get sick of great songs I love, but play 'Boogie Oogie Oogie' and  all those K.C. and the Sunshine Band songs for all those disco freaks, the music is dreadful for me but they love it and they should be allowed their favorites , just as I am...I'll just change the channel or shut the radio off when they stop playing stuff I like...it's not like I don't have a good size collection to choose from, I don't have to depend on FM to play just what I like, I am only one of billions of human beings. No one cares if I am tired of a particular song....and why should they?

Rant over.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Would anyone want to retire Proud Mary,Johnny B. Goode,Blue Suede Shoes or Wipeout because they're all old Rock and Roll standards?Every wedding reception or festive event usually plays these songs at some point.Dream On was a song that was overplayed on the radio,but that doesn't mean I think it should be "retired".I believe everyone has their own personal likes and dislikes when it comes to music and just because I don't appreciate a song any more doesn't mean someone else can't.
      If a song comes on the radio that I don't want to listen to,I change the station.I don't rule the airwaves,just my personal space. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]You do not "retire" old songs, nor do you stop enjoying the paintings of the great impressionists. If you are sick of hearing something , there are two knobs on your radio. OFF and CHANGE CHANNEL, or maybe simply throw the damn thing out the window. Do not speak for all of us in saying you are sick of a song. I am sick of YMCA ( I hated it the first time I heard it!), I do not listen to stations that play it, I do not own a copy of it, would not allow it in my CD player and block my ears if possible when I have to be subject to it. Retire it ???? Hell no, there are demented, disturbed people that like this song, but they are people too. There are millions of dopes who watch reality T.V. , I understand that we all have distinct tastes, this is one I have trouble understanding...but , if people want it ...give it to them, just don't force me to watch. If I said we should "retire" 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree' or sappy love songs like 'Muskrat Love' ...could you agree? I hate these songs, but sadly we have people in society that do not, faiir is fair. So play 'Crazy Train' and 'Paranoid', 'Smoke on the Water' and 'Stairway to Heaven' to your hearts content , I never get sick of great songs I love, but play 'Boogie Oogie Oogie' and  all those K.C. and the Sunshine Band songs for all those disco freaks, the music is dreadful for me but they love it and they should be allowed their favorites , just as I am...I'll just change the channel or shut the radio off when they stop playing stuff I like...it's not like I don't have a good size collection to choose from, I don't have to depend on FM to play just what I like, I am only one of billions of human beings. No one cares if I am tired of a particular song....and why should they? Rant over.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Point taken, well said and actually got me to rethink this topic. I guess what I was saying is when I hear a song like Hotel California, I immediately change the channel because I am sick of hearing it, but that does that entitle me to say it, or any song should be retired, probably not.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

The only thing I'd like to retire is myself.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to retire Starway to Heaven,Its 40 : Point taken, well said and actually got me to rethink this topic. I guess what I was saying is when I hear a song like Hotel California, I immediately change the channel because I am sick of hearing it, but that does that entitle me to say it, or any song should be retired, probably not.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

...and this is exactly what you should do.

Hotel California is a great song, maybe some people have a fond remembrance of the summer this song came out and they think about the great times they had.

I don't disagree that the classic radio stations play way too many songs to death ( I switch away from 'Hollywood Nights' by Bob Seger, 'Go Your Own Way' by Fleetwood Mac and can no longer stand "Little Pink Houses For You and Me' by John Mellencamp). But, really these stations are no more than background music for people who work at home or in the office. Real music lovers like us, don't subject ourselves to hours of torture letting some radio programmmer decide what we want to hear, do we?

But , let's face it, some people like having familiar old songs as background while they work. That's why these stations exist , for the baby boomers to feel like they still matter. My grandparents used to watch the old Lawrence Welk show and it was the highlight of their T.V. viewing schedule along with shows like Hee-Haw. I never used to understand it, but now that I am officially "old" I get it...I understand why nostalgia is so important. It helps you through life to go back (in your mind) to the days before the rat race claimed you as another victim.

When I hear 'Stairway To Heaven' , I am back in 10th grade and I am remembering good things about being 16 years old....and there were plenty of good things at that age. Or I am in my late 20's enjoying listening to Led Zep on CD for the first time (minus all the pops and scratches from the vinyl , that was played too many times).

These old songs represent nostalgia and when you lose contact with your youth , you might as well be dead.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Time to retire Starway to Heaven,Its 40 : In fact, I could have gone to my grave happy not to have ever have heard those songs in the first place... 
    Posted by WhatDoYouWantNow[/QUOTE]

Agreed, although I will state in defense of "Pour Some Sugar On Me", that it did serve a purpose in certain clubs.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

This reminds me of a convo I had with a 70-ish year old guy I know at my fitness club.  He's adorable (and harmless!).   He took a cycling class, and was on the bike next to mine when "Stairway" came on for a steep, uphill climb when you turn the tension up as far as you can take it.   During the song we had this convo:

Andy:  OH, I love this song!
    Me:  Yeah, cool song.
    Andy:  Do you know the name of this song?  Can't remember.
    Me: Stairway to Heaven
    Andy: Oh, yeah.   I love it!  Do you know who sings it?
    Me:  Led Zepp.
    Andy: Oh, yeah.    I haven't heard this song IN AGES!!   

SO there you go.  This is a music forum so we live by different standards, but remember there are people like my older friend who love the older rock classics --- and don't hear them often at all.   "Stairway" makes an awesome cycling song, too, BTW.  :)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

stairway should be retired from anyone playing it...ON THEIR GUITAR. 

(shudder)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Well . . .  I would agree that songs shouldn't really be "retired." The fact that I, personally, don't care to hear Stairway to Heaven anymore means very little. I don't listen to music on the radio anymore anyway, so it hardly matters to me, but if the premise is "Songs That Have Been Done to Death," there are more than a few I will happily never hear again.

I'm more than a little surprised that Born in the USA was mentioned, but not Dancing in the Dark. The former may be a cheapjack, commercially manipulative joke of an anthem, but a kid can still pump his fist to it . . .   the latter (particularly with attendant video) is simply embarrassing. How would you like to be Dave Marsh in 1981 (or whenever it was) watching his "future of rock 'n' roll go all Disco Danny on him?

And I would throw Born to Run into that mix as well. It's enough already with your velvet rims, Bruce.

There's nothing particularly wrong with Pink Floyd's Money. I've just heard it too many times. It's not a gas anymore, man.

Kansas, Dust in the Wind. It was cloying and overwrought with itself the first time I heard it, and it hasn't gotten any better through (endlessly) repeated listenings.

And I would throw John Lennon's Imagine into that same category if I didn't know it would send certain posters into fits of apoplexy . . .

Wink

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Zil's post made me think of how some old songs bring back mixed feelings for me. I may like the song, but I don't always recall all of my youth fondly. Sometimes a song brings me back to a time I was not happy with my life. This is no fault of the song, but our emotional responses do affect how we react to songs that may be overplayed. My approach to music is to attempt to divorce myself from all my personal, historical, emotional reactions to the music and try to see how (or if) it speaks to me today. I think that is why I enjoy songs that weren't the soundtrack to my teenage years, and came from an earlier era. My teen years pretty much sucked.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]Zil's post made me think of how some old songs bring back mixed feelings for me. I may like the song, but I don't always recall all of my youth fondly. Sometimes a song brings me back to a time I was not happy with my life. This is no fault of the song, but our emotional responses do affect how we react to songs that may be overplayed. My approach to music is to attempt to divorce myself from all my personal, historical, emotional reactions to the music and try to see how (or if) it speaks to me today. I think that is why I enjoy songs that weren't the soundtrack to my teenage years, and came from an earlier era. My teen years pretty much sucked.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

Much of my teenage years have bad memories attached too. I tend to try and remember the good things about being a teenager, playing street hockey until it was too dark to see, watching the 3 Stooges everyday after school on TV38, watching those great old T.V. cop shows of the early 70's, the guys at school with whom you joked around (behind the French teacher's back) , listenig to radio and hearing these great classic songs before they were classic....and waiting for them to play the ones you really wanted to hear.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]You do not "retire" old songs, nor do you stop enjoying the paintings of the great impressionists. If you are sick of hearing something , there are two knobs on your radio. OFF and CHANGE CHANNEL, or maybe simply throw the damn thing out the window. Do not speak for all of us in saying you are sick of a song. I am sick of YMCA ( I hated it the first time I heard it!), I do not listen to stations that play it, I do not own a copy of it, would not allow it in my CD player and block my ears if possible when I have to be subject to it. Retire it ???? Hell no, there are demented, disturbed people that like this song, but they are people too. There are millions of dopes who watch reality T.V. , I understand that we all have distinct tastes, this is one I have trouble understanding...but , if people want it ...give it to them, just don't force me to watch. If I said we should "retire" 'Tie a Yellow Ribbon 'Round the Old Oak Tree' or sappy love songs like 'Muskrat Love' ...could you agree? I hate these songs, but sadly we have people in society that do not, faiir is fair. So play 'Crazy Train' and 'Paranoid', 'Smoke on the Water' and 'Stairway to Heaven' to your hearts content , I never get sick of great songs I love, but play 'Boogie Oogie Oogie' and  all those K.C. and the Sunshine Band songs for all those disco freaks, the music is dreadful for me but they love it and they should be allowed their favorites , just as I am...I'll just change the channel or shut the radio off when they stop playing stuff I like...it's not like I don't have a good size collection to choose from, I don't have to depend on FM to play just what I like, I am only one of billions of human beings. No one cares if I am tired of a particular song....and why should they? Rant over.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Agree fully.

Except they can retire all of KC and the Sunshine Band's stuff. Although there is some disco I like, I never liked anything of there's. Wink

No serious. Sometimes I get tired of a song that I don't listen to it for a long time. Then when I listen to that song again finally, it seems fresh. So yeah, I agree, nothing really needs to be retired.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]Zil's post made me think of how some old songs bring back mixed feelings for me. I may like the song, but I don't always recall all of my youth fondly. Sometimes a song brings me back to a time I was not happy with my life. This is no fault of the song, but our emotional responses do affect how we react to songs that may be overplayed. My approach to music is to attempt to divorce myself from all my personal, historical, emotional reactions to the music and try to see how (or if) it speaks to me today. I think that is why I enjoy songs that weren't the soundtrack to my teenage years, and came from an earlier era. My teen years pretty much sucked.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

Music indeed brings me back to certain times. That's why I still like a lot of Top 40 from the '70s, because it brings me back to being a kid. There are a couple of songs specifically that remind me of Christmas around 1974 or '75, which were some of my best memories as a kid.

Even songs that remind me of old girlfriends I can listen to now, even if it makes me feel a bit melancholy, I can still remember good times. That's one of the best things about some music is how it can transport me to an earlier time in my life.