Today is the 44th anniversary of Woodstock

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Today is the 44th anniversary of Woodstock

It was 44 years ago today that Woodstock opened its festival.Here's a couple of facts you may or may not know about the festival.

John Lennon wanted to perform,and was in Canada ready to come down to New York but the US  refused his entry visa.

The Jeff Beck group including Ronnie Wood and Rod Stewart were scheduled to perform at Woodstock,but the band split up the night before they were supposed to appear

The original tickets were $6.00 a day,until it became a free concert 

Here's one of the many iconic performances from Woodstock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBG6IaSQCpU

Woodstock poster.jpg

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: Today is the 44th anniversary of Woodstock

What many younger people ( I would say kids, but they aren't kids anymore) ....meaning people who weren't alive at the time...do not realize is that most of the acts that performed at Woodstock were not household names at the time.

Santana - relatively new on the scene had yet to release Abraxas, their best know and 2nd LP.

Ten Years After- an English Blues band with practically no exposure stateside.

Crosby, Stills , Nash and Young - veteran singers and songwriters from previous bands , hadn't been together very long in 1969, hadn't released an album yet.

Many of acts were folk singers, such as Arlo Guthrie, Country Joe McDonald and Joan Baez.

These are other bands that didn't make it: Irom Butterfly- got stranded at the airport.

Led Zeppelin declined due to a higher paying gig.

Jethro Tull didn't think it was a big deal.

Bob Dylan hated hippies.

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

And Hendrix closed the show ... at 8 a.m.

Also, the Doors canceled at the last second, saying it would  be "a second-class repeat of the Monterey Pop Festival." (Just as well).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

Even back then money came first?   Who knew?!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Also:

Joe Cocker did a cover of The Beatles’ “With A Little Help From My Friends” that was so good that after the festival Paul McCartney and George Harrison allowed Cocker to cover their songs “She Came Through The Bathroom Window” and “Something” for his next album. 

I never make the same mistake twice.  I make it five or six times, just to be sure.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

It was concert that came to mean more than just another concert. I was born at the wrong time for it to personally resonate with me. I find it more interesting as an historical event than as something that brought any deeper meaning to my life.

I actually have a "thing" against hippies, but it has nothing to do with Woodstock itself. Hippies to me were people who justified selfish, lazy. irresponsible behavior by saying they were fighting "the man". To me, they appeared to be people who decieved themselves about the dangers of drugs and people who would steal from you rather than work for their money. The general hippie philolsophy seems to me to be very naive about human nature. Most people just used being hippies as long as they could get away with it to satisfy their hedonistic urges. Many of these phony hippies then cut their hair and moved quite easily into the middle class world they loved to put down.

I find it silly that the original Woodstock was advertised as an "Aquarian Exposition" and "3 Days of Peace & Music. The whole notion of an Aquarian age was nonsense from the start.

And just to remind everyone. Sha-Na-Na performed at Woodstock. Heavy, man. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVEtcCYsbE

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

Also:

Joe Cocker did a cover of The Beatles’ “With A Little Help From My Friends” that was so good that after the festival Paul McCartney and George Harrison allowed Cocker to cover their songs “She Came Through The Bathroom Window” and “Something” for his next album. 

I never make the same mistake twice.  I make it five or six times, just to be sure.  

Jimmy Page wrote the musical arrangement of 'With A Little Help' that became Joe's classic version of the song.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

It was concert that came to mean more than just another concert. I was born at the wrong time for it to personally resonate with me. I find it more interesting as an historical event than as something that brought any deeper meaning to my life.

I actually have a "thing" against hippies, but it has nothing to do with Woodstock itself. Hippies to me were people who justified selfish, lazy. irresponsible behavior by saying they were fighting "the man". To me, they appeared to be people who decieved themselves about the dangers of drugs and people who would steal from you rather than work for their money. The general hippie philolsophy seems to me to be very naive about human nature. Most people just used being hippies as long as they could get away with it to satisfy their hedonistic urges. Many of these phony hippies then cut their hair and moved quite easily into the middle class world they loved to put down.

I find it silly that the original Woodstock was advertised as an "Aquarian Exposition" and "3 Days of Peace & Music. The whole notion of an Aquarian age was nonsense from the start.

And just to remind everyone. Sha-Na-Na performed at Woodstock. Heavy, man. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzVEtcCYsbE

"Hold it fellows, that don't move me. Let's get real, real gone for a change."

-Elvis Presley

I think you nailed a lot of the reasons why Dylan didn't like hippies.

I really never met any hippies, as it seemed more a "West Coast thing" back when I was around 10 years old and hippies enjoyed their heydey...so to speak. I always liked Psychedelic music ( Incense and Pepperments is a favorite) , but I never used drugs, sure I thought the Vietnam war was wrong and getting back to nature seemed like a good thing, but really I just liked the music....never wanted long hair, beads around my neck and I hate tattoos and pierceing ( those are mor Punk things, but they emerged form the counterculture of hippiedom).

The teenagers I knew in the late sixties were kids of some of my fathers neighbors , we had a few "older" kids living in our neighborhood and none of them embraced the hippie culture or at least didn't appear to be inclined to.

I tend to agree with David and Dylan, Hippies were right to protest against Vietnam, they were right about getting back to nature, the music they liked was good. Most everything else they stood for was just being rebellious for the sake of being rebellious. The so- called counter-culture certainly had it's good points, but it was loaded with flawed logic, mostly designed to keep young people from working harder than they had to.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

One thing about the hippies that tends to get overlooked is that they were basically an innocent vanguard.  They honestly believed that a lifestyle built around peace, free love, drugs and music could make the world a wonderful new place.  They had no history to learn from.  They had to find out the hard way that it would all end up in a terrible crash. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to Hfxsoxnut's comment:

One thing about the hippies that tends to get overlooked is that they were basically an innocent vanguard.  They honestly believed that a lifestyle built around peace, free love, drugs and music could make the world a wonderful new place.  They had no history to learn from.  They had to find out the hard way that it would all end up in a terrible crash. 

I'm not so sure there were that many innocent hippies. My view is that a small core that were either naive and/or taking too many drugs started believing in a vague, back to the earth, utopian philosophy without really thinking through the reality of what it entailed. I think much of it was a rebellion against what they saw as moral and social codes that came from authorities who proved to be more immoral than the codes they wanted to impose on others. They were also part of a huge group of young people born in the post-war baby boom in numbers unprecedented in prior generations. There is strength in numbers. I believe that most of the youth movement was populated by people who had no strong belief in the hippie ideal but were there for the ride, the drugs, the sex, and the irresponsible fun, much like the youth of past generations.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

They were also part of a huge group of young people born in the post-war baby boom in numbers unprecedented in prior generations. There is strength in numbers. I believe that most of the youth movement was populated by people who had no strong belief in the hippie ideal but were there for the ride, the drugs, the sex, and the irresponsible fun, much like the youth of past generations.

This would only be the oldest among that generation (1946-1964), and I would think that many hippies were born before 1946, come to think of it.    The range in age would vary, certainly.    As for going along for the ride ... that's the case in any generation, isn't it?   The buzzwords of being "green" and "environmentally aware" are widespread now, but there are plenty of young people who smoke, wouldn't be caught dead in a Prius (and I can't say I blame them ...) and don't recycle a thing.   But they'll join a roadside or park clean up group on a Saturday morning, just to make themselves feel (and look)  good.  :)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Jimmy Page wrote the musical arrangement of 'With A Little Help' that became Joe's classic version of the song.

Which I'm apparently the only person in the world who hates.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to LloydDobler's comment:

[QUOTE]

Which I'm apparently the only person in the world who hates.

[/QUOTE]

Count me in. It's not one of my favorites either. I prefer the original.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I like both versions.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

[QUOTE]

They were also part of a huge group of young people born in the post-war baby boom in numbers unprecedented in prior generations. There is strength in numbers. I believe that most of the youth movement was populated by people who had no strong belief in the hippie ideal but were there for the ride, the drugs, the sex, and the irresponsible fun, much like the youth of past generations.

This would only be the oldest among that generation (1946-1964), and I would think that many hippies were born before 1946, come to think of it.    The range in age would vary, certainly.    As for going along for the ride ... that's the case in any generation, isn't it?   The buzzwords of being "green" and "environmentally aware" are widespread now, but there are plenty of young people who smoke, wouldn't be caught dead in a Prius (and I can't say I blame them ...) and don't recycle a thing.   But they'll join a roadside or park clean up group on a Saturday morning, just to make themselves feel (and look)  good.  :)

[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree. There are very few true believers in ideals any generation. That seems to be human nature. But in some ways that's a good thing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I like both versions.

I don't care much for the song at all.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

I like both versions.

I don't care much for the song at all.

[/QUOTE]

You, my friend, are an Aquarian Contrarian. Smile

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

What many younger people ( I would say kids, but they aren't kids anymore) ....meaning people who weren't alive at the time...do not realize is that most of the acts that performed at Woodstock were not household names at the time.

Santana - relatively new on the scene had yet to release Abraxas, their best know and 2nd LP.

Ten Years After- an English Blues band with practically no exposure stateside.

Crosby, Stills , Nash and Young - veteran singers and songwriters from previous bands , hadn't been together very long in 1969, hadn't released an album yet.

Many of acts were folk singers, such as Arlo Guthrie, Country Joe McDonald and Joan Baez.

These are other bands that didn't make it: Irom Butterfly- got stranded at the airport.

Jethro Tull didn't think it was a big deal.

Bob Dylan hated hippies.

"Here we are trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.- Kurt Vonnegut

But whose household (Danish keyboard, can't find the question mark).  I haven't checked, but how many of those named didn't already have at least one release on a major label....

Few/none I'd wager.   Whether or not the Great Unwashed have heard of something is meaningless to me.

Anyone with any interest in music in 1969 knew all about the Byrds and Buffalo Springfield.  Was Alvin Lee unknown in 1969, two years after Ten Years After's debut album.  

Finally, (apols if I sound aggressive, I'm just passionate) logically, if you were booking the biggest music festival in world history would you book unknown bands or the biggest bands available.....most of the biggest bands in the world played Woodstock.

Sections
Shortcuts