Today's artist- the Clash

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Today's artist- the Clash

While jessey is sleeping or studying the Yankees 2nd half schedule, I figure I'll throw in an "artist of the day" and beat him to the punch ( this is a rarity).

The Clash were the best of the British punk rock bands from the 70's and they later added horns and non traditional "punk" instruments to their sound.

Their debut album is a classic and it was the first CD I ever purchased. London Calling is brilliant and Combat Rock has two of their most well known songs, "Should I stay or Should I Go?" and a great favorite of mine "Rockin' the Casbah"

The late Joe Strummer released some solo work, Mick Jones went on to form the surprisingly good Big Audio Dynamite while Paul Simomon did a real good album with his group - Havana 3am.

These guys didn't get the hype of the Sex Pistols, but they were far superior as musicians and songwrtiters. I think maybe grouping them with punk music is rather unfair as they really were so much better than most of their contemporaries.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Re: Today's artist- the Clash

Like The Ramones, the fact that The Clash were "punk rock" was incidental.  They were rockers first and foremost, and they played and composed timeless rock music.  That they were doing so in such a direct, confrontational way made it different than either the arty prog rock or vapid AOR stuff of the 70s.  They put the attitude back in rock n' roll and made it cool again.  It's hard to overestimate how influential they were, especially in the UK.

"The Clash" and "London Calling" are must-own LPs without a doubt - historical documents of the punk rock movement and cultural touchstones for tens of millions.  The latter album is one of the most stylistically diverse and ranging LPs ever made.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

London Calling probably is their best song. I didn't realize that U2 got their inspiration from this band until reading up on this band.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

The Clash is No. 4 on my all-time favorite band list behind the Beatles, Pink Floyd and the Who.

The debut album was awesome, from Janie Jones through Garageland. (Still have the original album, though a buddy spilled Jack Daniles on it one night and kind of screwed it up). Strummer/Jones never got the credit they deserved as songwriters.

"London Calling" had such a wide range of styles. A little rockabilly, a little reggae, a little jazz ... and a lot of kickass rock and roll. Definitely one of the five greatest double-albums of all time. My favorite is "Lost in the Supermarket." And how interesting that their biggest hit, "Train In Vain," was originally (and unintentionally) a hidden track.

I hate hearing them called "punk" because I think that kind of pigeon-holes them. They were very influential, and not just in the "punk" movement.

In other words, I like them.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

As it was said back in the day:

"The Clash are the only band that matters"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Love em.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

Death or Glory.

London Calling had a wide range of styles, but Sandanista! took that to the next level. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

In Response to Re: Today's artist- the Clash:
    Death or Glory. London Calling had a wide range of styles, but Sandanista! took that to the next level. 
    Posted by schmangell

But I believe this, and it's been tested by research
    He who ... nuns will later join the church

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Today's artist- the Clash:
    As it was said back in the day: "The Clash are the only band that matters"
    Posted by jesseyeric

It was a cool slogan, and if true it would have saved me a lot of money.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I'm a big fan of the Clash. On first listen, the debut album sounded like just another blast of punk noise. But on further listening, they come across as great pop music. The Clash were the Beatles of punk.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Not to mention that London Calling has one of the greatest all-time album covers EVAH.  (It even became a British postal stamp!)  That it aped Elvis made it that much more poignant.

The Who might have smashed their guitars first, but that shot of Paul Simonon all splay-legged and full of rage is a singular image of rock n' roll.

When I saw that cover for the first time, I thought, that's what rock n' roll is about (or supposed to be about)....