Today's rant: "We're only in it for the money."...part one.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Today's rant: "We're only in it for the money."...part one.

Back in the old days of musical integrity one of my most beloved music personalities Mr. Frank Zappa and his Mothers of Invention, released an LP named , "We're Only In It For The Money."

This thread is not about that....directly.

I was reading an article on Yahoo about how rapper Jay-Z has been passed by another rapper/hip hop artist as the top money maker. The article goes on to discuss who makes what, and how Diddy, 50 cent and Jay-Z are top money makers and some other hip hop dude has set his goal to be a billionaire.

Well , this is all fine and dandy. But, I remember when artists had a little integrity and let the music do the talking....( apologies to Joe Perry for stealing his album title). Frank Zappa, Neil Young, the Doors ,Joni Mitchell , Warren Zevon and scores of other artists made successful careers by producing quality art and satisfying the music fans ...and their own desire to create art that stayed true to what they believed in.

These Hip Hop and Rap artists are shamelessly pursuing wealth and not the least bit interested with producing meaningful art. These are music mercenaries and all they want is more and more money. Okay, so we know that Rock stars of the 70's got consumed by making money and some turned out subpar art in favor of making money. We recently discussed this on one of yoga's threads. But, making money to stay alive and making money to become richer than the next guy and the quest to become a billionaire seems to eclipse the true goal that music should be about , creating something with appeal to your fans, something built to last.

It is because of this that I believe Hip Hop and Rap will eventually fade away and be viewed as a fad that lasted way too long...unlike Rock'n Roll that , like Classical music, has integrity and will live on well after all of us humans ( and reptiles) have ceased to breath and rant about things like baseball and music...

Does anybody really care what their favorite artist makes?

Should we care?

Why should we care?

I only care that I like the music, and it's nice to know that others agree, but not mandatory.

Is Jackson Browne a millionaire?....I like his music, should I care?...all I care about is that he is sincere and writes from his inner feelings. If I thought for one minute that his music was only being written and performed in his quest to be a billionaire , I would think it was just worthless garbage.

...but, I already think Hip Hop and Rap is all worthless garbage anyway...this just reinforces those feelings and makes me believe that perhaps a person like myself can have opinions that are sometimes on target.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Re: Today's rant: "We're only in it for the money."...part one.

Without regard for the "type" of music, I don't care how much money an artist makes......

my only "gripe" is the cost of a concert ticket.

I have ticket stubs from the old Boston Garden that read $12.50! Now that $12.50 is equal to the service charge on the $75.00 concert ticket that I have to print out and pay a "convenience" fee for.....

...and Zilla I agree rap/hip hop IS crap but I'm obviously in the minority, look at all the money they earn

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

"Money for nothing and chicks for free"

As for musical integrity and Rap/Hip Hop.

I actually believe that the intent behind these musicians when they first start on their musical journey is no different than any Rock band. I see no problem with setting lofty goals and trying to achieve them. If you have the cajones to try and be a Billionaire - then more power to you.

I think Snoop, Biggie, Tupac, Eminem, NWA, Run DMC, Public Enemy and a few others were/are just as sincere as any of the great rockers.

Okay - I just defended Rap/Hip Hop  - I think I need to drink tonight.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

I know Id like to see The Smiths get back together for the money. I know I would try to catch that tour... It depends.I don't mind someone touring for the money.. Putting out crap albums/discs though may be stuff I wouldn't care about

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Today's rant: "We're only in it for the money."...part one.:
    [QUOTE]"Money for nothing and chicks for free" As for musical integrity and Rap/Hip Hop. I actually believe that the intent behind these musicians when they first start on their musical journey is no different than any Rock band. I see no problem with setting lofty goals and trying to achieve them. If you have the cajones to try and be a Billionaire - then more power to you. I think Snoop, Biggie, Tupac, Eminem, NWA, Run DMC, Public Enemy and a few others were/are just as sincere as any of the great rockers. Okay - I just defended Rap/Hip Hop  - I think I need to drink tonight.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I think many people in the Rap/Hip Hop/ Pop fields started out with making lots of money as their goal.

Where I do not believe that the Beatles had any idea that they might be exceedingly wealthy. They enjoyed the music of Chuck Berry, Elvis, Buddy Holly and others 50's rockers and wanted to create music that was inspired by their idols. This continues into the 70's where many artists were heavily influenced by th Beatles and were inspired to create something as their heroes did.

Possibly the true test of quality in music is how it ages.

Classical past this test long ago. Rock n' Roll is now old enough that you could say it has past the test of time.

Will Hip Hop or Rap still be played in the year 2020 or later?

I didn't see it lasting until 2012, but oddly it is still around. It is just hard to believe, for me anyway, that this music continues to generate the revenue for these "artists" ...and I use the term loosely, as I said before, I consider them "music mercenaries." Creating cr@p that sells mainly because it is trendy for a generation that feels they need a form of music to identify with, and the music of their mom and dad's didn't cut it.

I am finding that there is a new generation of young people who think Rock and Heavy Metal is cool again.

This is wonderful.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In a very real sense, the lifespan of recording artists' "productive" years is rather short, and the instinct of trying to 'cash in' is thoroughly ingrained in the music business.

I equate many of these artists with professional athletes, who also have a short window in which to amass their relative wealth before the constraints of age, ability and audience catch up with them.

The fact is that, for every singularly talented artist and performer, there is another 1000 or so also-rans who barely see the light of day, if at all.

The mistake, I think, is in isolating the phenomenon to hip hop as a musical genre, when the same happens in pop, country, latin, etc. 

It's also a bit disingenuous - after 30-odd years - to try and dismiss hip hop/rap as a "fad" when their new releases have been regularly out-selling recent rock releases for some time now.  The "hit" rock record is an anomaly these days.

The "macarena" was a fad; latino-flavored dance music is not.  And to devotees of the latter, the former is but a lame joke.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

There's going to be a part two?    :D

If you already think that hip hop and rap are worthless garbage, then why did you feel more "on target" after reading the article?   It's your value judgement that is saying that making art / music with the goal of becoming a billionaire is at the expense of honest, meaningful music.  Well, you don't know that, do you?   It's just a conjecture on your part.  

It seems that you're saying that the two values (end goal of billionaire and end goal of meaningful music) are mutually exclusive goals, but correct me if I am mistaken.   

As far as rap and hip hop withstanding the test of time, that's anyone's guess, but it's going strong with no end in sight.  Considering artists like Tupac and Biggie have been dead for a number of years, they still have legions of fans who lament their deaths.   

And BTW, there are scholars of music history whose expertise is in hip hop music, and there are archival collections set up at some of the most reputable institutions of learning in the United States who house them, including (of course) Harvard and Cornell.  It's fair to assume that its taken seriously as an art form.  

And if you want to hear something that might open your mind, or at least give you some food for thought about rap artists, you should listen to Run DMC's spoken story about how Sarah McLachlan's song, "Angel" saved his life.  It is outstanding; no matter how many times I have heard it, I know I can listen to it again.   It's a true account of how his suicidal tendencies were assuaged by McLachlan's song, the uncanny incidents that followed, and how this rapper is, you know, just like the rest of us.   Seriously, it's incredible, spoken with sincerity along with humor.  Additionally, DMC has been given a Congressional medal for his work on foster care and adoption: part of his personal history that caused his mental anguish, was from not knowing he was adopted.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I think Mr. Zappa's target was actually bands (like the Beatles) who had taken on an aura of being deep and meaningful while at the same time becoming filthy rich. It was a satirical shot at the whole rock and roll scene and how phony and puffed up with its own sense of self-importance it can get. I don't think Zappa had any more integrity than anyone else, he simply made the type of music he enjoyed. But he was not above making recordings to sell so he could continue doing what he loved. I think he was actually scoffing at the whole notion of rock and roll being important and actually being meaningful art.

The bottom line is, Frank Zappa took nothing seriously, especially those things and people that took themselves way too seriouly.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]The bottom line is, Frank Zappa took nothing seriously, especially those things and people that took themselves way too seriouly.
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes, David....and this is what I admire most about Frank Zappa, this is why I listen to bands like Devo, the Cramps and the Trashmen....they do give the listener a feeling that it's just a lot of fun..."we are having a blast and if you enjoy our music and buy it...even better!"...

...but I think ( because I am not always sure) that what I am trying to say is that the Rap / Hip Hop genre takes the money and the real life drama part of the music business a little too seriously. The sense of competition to be the richest , the various shooting incidents that paint the whole Rap culture as urban thugs.

In the earlier stages os Rock music , the 60's and 70's , this music was anti-violence and anti establishment, anti war. Somehow the fact that the Beatles and so many other bands became extremely profitable became an issue and helped launch the Punk movement....but this a sort of oxymoron as how do you survive as a viable "voice" in a culture if you don't turn a profit and pay the bills?...for many Rock bands like the Rolling Stones, they became corporate giants and therefore become the very "establishment" they were against in their earlier days.

For Rap artists, it seems they love the "thug" image and it is what drives the music , it is music originally made for poor urban kids. Once they become "established" they are no longer the "poor, underprivileged urban kids...they are now the "rich", "privileged" and they do enjoy flaunting their wealth to the max.

In part two , we will discuss why parents could never accept Heavy Metal...but they seem to accept Rap.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

the various shooting incidents that paint the whole Rap culture as urban thugs.

That was true of the blues way back when too though Zilla.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I think rap artists are actually brutally honest about why they become performers; to get sex and money. That is mostly what the subject matter of rap is about. They really aren't pretending to be anything at all; it's the people who write positively about rap who make the claim for its artistic status. Or maybe I'm wrong. I need to see quotes from rap artist themselves making such claims.

But I don't see that old rich rockers have any more integrity than young rappers. The Rolling Stones were not about social change, they too were about sex and money from the get-go, as were the blues artists who inspired them.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Seems like the missing component to this convo is the fact that there are many sub-genres of rap and hip hop music.  I'm no expert (understatement) but what Zilla seems to be addressing is gangsta rap.  We've discussed this before because I made a thread on Tupac and this is when we broke down the sub-genres.  

Gangsta rap is ONE sub-genre of rap -- one piece of the pie, not the whole pie.

Uh, there are women rappers, too.   Many of whom are quite mainstream and well-known such as Lauryn Hill (I own one of her LPs), Missy Elliott, Queen Latifah, Li'l Kim (mainstream but controversial), Nicki Minaj and many others  -- FWIW.

It's a slippery slope to generalize this entire genre and categorize all of the artists in it as disingenuous, guileful money grubbers.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE] ...but I think ( because I am not always sure) that what I am trying to say is that the Rap / Hip Hop genre takes the money and the real life drama part of the music business a little too seriously. The sense of competition to be the richest , the various shooting incidents that paint the whole Rap culture as urban thugs. Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

You're painting with an awfully wide brush, here, zilla, and while I respect your opinions, I'm starting to question what your listening to and the examples you're using to make your case.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you may be missing a few cultural clues to put your 'paintjob' into perspective.  As always, successful artists must play to their audiences, whether it be 12-year-old hormonal girls, streetwise punks, or middle-aged man-boys.

I also think that you're holding a slightly beatified picture of the 60s/70s popular music industry to an unrealistically pure light.  Even IF one could separate the artistry from the soul-crushing business, it's unfair to view those artists as saints and these artists as "thugs".

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Here is some solid evidence that rap has a social consience. "It's Like That" by Run-D.M.C. Let the rap speak for itself rather than anyone's opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hN1SKVx31s

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I have to confess that I've always liked Public Enemy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Today's rant: "We're only in it for the money."...part one. : You're painting with an awfully wide brush, here, zilla, and while I respect your opinions, I'm starting to question what your listening to and the examples you're using to make your case. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you may be missing a few cultural clues to put your 'paintjob' into perspective.  As always, successful artists must play to their audiences, whether it be 12-year-old hormonal girls, streetwise punks, or middle-aged man-boys. I also think that you're holding a slightly beatified picture of the 60s/70s popular music industry to an unrealistically pure light.  Even IF one could separate the artistry from the soul-crushing business, it's unfair to view those artists as saints and these artists as "thugs".
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

No , I never tried to categorize Rock artists as "saints."

I am probably getting a little off the point with some of my admittedly biased views. Please, forgive me for that.

I just don't recall that Led Zeppelin was all that worried about outselling David Bowie or Alice Cooper. I don't recall that Bad Company had an article about how they made more money in 1973 than Foghat.

Sure , these guys were making music for a living, trying to sell records and concert tickets. But, I do believe they had some creativity , some desire to create something that would leave a lasting impression on the listener.

What does the music of 50 Cent say to you when he has songs titled, 'How To Rob', 'P.I.M.P' and 'I Get Money'...???

It tells me this guy is a glorified thug.

What does Led Zeppilin offer? 'Whole Lotta Love', 'Over The Hills And Far Away', and 'Houses Of The Holy'...along with some great instrumental work by Page, Jones and Bonham.

What does this tell us about Led Zeppelin?

They made a ton of money in the 70s creating artistic Rock music and being very creative.

Did they flaunt their money and brag about how much more they made than say, The J.Geils Band?....I don't recall any stuff like that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I think I'm with yoga on this one zilla. You probably are talking about gangsta rap, and the very worst of gangsta rap out there at that. I think all the oldtimers in this group are at least a little familiar with my musical taste and would fairly say that I'm pretty country, but there is rap that I like. Yoga is right when she says there's a lot of rap out there. There's even one gangsta rap group that I like, NWA. I have to admit now that I think about it, that most of the rap I like is pretty old. As I mentioned I like NWA, I've also said before that I've always liked Public Enemy. Tone Loc had some great moments IMO, and Sugarhill Gang had one song that I really liked Rapper's Delight. You could even make the argument as I have a few times that A Boy Named Sue is a rap song. That's a stretch but I hope I'm making my point.
    I think what you're saying about 50 cent and JayZ is probably true. They really are all about the money. But that's not all rap. If you listen to people like Tupac, Snoop, Chuck D or Ice Cube before he became a comedian I hope you would find as I have that these guys had something real and honest to say. Yes they talked some about money hos and killing, but that is part of life too, and they all had something more to say, a lot of it pretty political. The problem with rap right now IMO is the same problem with pop; It's too commercial. I think rap started to go south when Tupac got killed. That's when you started to see the guys coming with the big diamond rings and the $100,000 jags. Somebody somewhere figured out that you could make a lot of money on this thing, and fortunately enough that troublesome political Tupac was out of the way.
    I do think there's hope for the future of music though. Ironically enough I think the future of music has been given to us by capitalism. The internet is going to revolutionize music over the next 20 or so years I think. And I'm not talking about some phoney baloney incremental change either. I think the change we will see will be pretty fundamentally transformative. Think about it. Anyone that knows someone with a computer and some recording software can make their own record, put it on amazon and make a living making music. Anf I think most musicians, if you asked them, would tell you that's all they really want. As the big publishing houses slowly get phased out, I think we'll start to see a lot more artistically driven music than we have lately. Color me an optimist, but that's what I think.
    The bad part about that is that the age of the rock star is probably over and I always wanted to be a rock star, but I'd be just as happy if I was simply making a living and all I had to do for work was play my guitar, bass and mandolin. As a matter of fact I had an idea for a new (I think) sound that I think would go viral in about 30 seconds. If you don't think that this post is utter nonsense I might tell you about it in part 2.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I think most rock and rollers are in it for the money, too -- money and large-scale success being their primary goal.  Otherwise they'd be happy playing local clubs and garnering just their nice local following.

Just like most young actors dream of hitting it big.  If anything, when artists start out, they dream of huge paydays and their name in lights and only find satisfaction in the work alone as they mature.

And really, when you listen to acts that make it, at least with the medium talent ones, it does seem like the lottery -- so many equally talented groups that don't hit the big time.  You have to be heard by the right people or have a song with a hook that hits the current zeitgeist just at the right moment. 

I'm sure there are plenty of rap acts trying to produce that one hit that will propel them to stardom, but there are plenty of pop and rock acts doing the same -- looking at what sound is trendy and shaping their own tunes to appeal to current listeners, producers and agents.

Perhaps it just comes down to the idea that there are plenty of musicians, but only a small subset who are true artists.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I saw Don Henley solo in concert one time. He performed a song I now forget, then thanked us because the song was number 8 with a bullet. I think most rock stars are more shallow and obsessed with popularity and material success then we give them credit for. 

And talk about thug songs. How 'bout this oldie but goodie?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E26dBq-98Po

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Yes, carnie, Matty , David, and yoga ....I do not know a lot of Rap. What little I know, the stuff that gets the most media attention...it is the "gangsta" stuff , I'm sure.

But, really , I didn't start this thread to critique Rap or condemn it.

I am trying to make sense of the comments I read in the article which seem to indicate that Hip Hop and Rap ( and most of modern Pop music, also the boy bands of the past) are fueled by a desire to make money....not just a decent living , but BIG MONEY...BILLIONS.

I think I've done my best to get the point across that although the Beatles and Stones and Doors and Dylan , etc. all became successful, they were artists first and the passion to create led to fortune and fame.

The passion to create art should precede the desire to be rich. I don't like that the desire to be rich should fuel the artistic output....and I don't believe the artistic quality can be there when the force that propels you is wealth. You are zeroing in what you think will sell, not at being creative.

A great artist does what he or she does because of the desire to create, it's a labor of love. Some of them get rich but it can be their undoing (Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, Jimi Hendrix) but some survive and stay true to the art, shun the fortune and fame ( J.J. Cale), some get the fortune and fame and never knuckle under to what is commercial and what will sell the most because they are geniuses and the music they create is the driving force in their life and they never quit doing what they love ( Bob Dylan,Eric Clapton, Neil Young).

The artist in me wants to create something worthy. Something that people look at and say, "Hey that's cool!...I wish Icould do that!" That's the way I feel when I hear great music or view a really neat painting. I've never wanted to create something bogus and have it make tons of money...it's like a mirage , it's not real, but it sure looks good. It has no substance. The pride in the art means more to me than the money ever could. Money is just worthless paper, it goes out as fast as it comes in. Pride in your work lasts forever. Great art is the true treasure of humankind. It is our greatest legacy. It is our one lasting fingerprint on this Earth.. the Great Pyramid of Giza, the Sphinx....these are fabulous works of immense art from another period in time....only time and the elements will eventually destroy it.

I am not sure all of you can understand this.

The music of the Beatles and Dylan will last as long as humankind. It is too big a part of us to ever die. It was possibly the most influential and creative body of work ever compiled by two musical artists. They poured their souls into making it so. 

I will go to my grave believing this...even though Zappa might have thought differently, they weren't "In It Just For The Money." They had pride in what they were creating and it will stand the test of time. I'd bet my life on it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[QUOTE]I saw Don Henley solo in concert one time. He performed a song I now forget, then thanked us because the song was number 8 with a bullet. I think most rock stars are more shallow and obsessed with popularity and material success then we give them credit for.  And talk about thug songs. How 'bout this oldie but goodie?   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E26dBq-98Po
    Posted by devildavid[/QUOTE]

....but that's Don Henley, the creepiest, most awful musician ever!  Let's review the immortal lyrics of "Don Henley Must Die" by the incomparable Mojo Nixon:

This is the sound of my brain.
    Then I said, this is the sound of my brain on Don Henley!
    Then I said, 1 2 3 4...

He's a tortured artist
    Used to be in the Eagles
    Now he whines
    Like a wounded beagle
    Poet of despair!
    Pumped up with hot air!
    He's serious, pretentious
    And I just don't care
    Don Henley must die!
    Don't let him get back together
    With Glenn Frey!
    Don Henley must die!

Turn on the TV
    And what did I see?
    This bloated hairy thing
    Winning a Grammy
    Best Rock Vocalist?
    Compared to what?
    But your pseudo-serious
    Crafty Satanic blot
    Don Henley must die!
    Put a sharp stick in his eye!
    Don Henley must die!
    Yea yea yea

Quit playin' that crap
    You're out of the band

I'm only kidding
    Can't you tell?
    I love his sensitive music
    Idiot poetry, swell
    You and your kind
    Are killing rock and roll
    It's not because you are O L D
    It's cause you ain't got no soul!
    Don't be afraid of fun
    Loosen up your ponytail!
    Be wild, young, free and dumb
    Get your head out of your tail
    Don Henley must die!
    Don't let him get back together
    With Glenn Frey!

Don Henley must die!
    Put him in the electric chair
    Watch him fry!
    Don Henley must die
    Don Henley must die
    No Eagles reunion
    The same goes for you, Sting!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

I agree with you wholeheartedly Zilla. Maybe not about the Eagles being timeless, they were pretty good, but the Beatles were a lot better IMO. The Beatles really are timeless, and so is Chuck Berry and Deep Purple and probably Fats too. And I agree with you that what really drove those people was their art. You could probably include Chuck D and Ice Cube in that group. I think the problem with popular music today is the same one I think you see, commercialism. Rock music may be over as a form of legitimate artistic expression because its been coopted by the machine, I think. And Rap and Hip Hop are in danger of becoming so as well. I'm not sure if Chuck or some of those people would even able to get on the air today. Pirate music is the answer I reckon. Anyone can make their own record and put it on amazon and I think that's going to change the way music is made. It takes the greed element almost completely away. That will probably eventually go south as well, but it could be a fun ride for a while.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

TEST

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from dog-lady. Show dog-lady's posts

Loud and clear!  Over and out!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Prior to the Beatles turing into Beatlemania, they had a saying. John would scream, "Boys, where are we going" and the boys would yell back back, "To the top". It is paraphrased and I don't feel like googling it.

Yes, musicians of all ilk want to play; but when the decision is made to be in it for the long haul, then money certainly comes into play. And Zep certainly looked to score top $. Look at that poster of them standing next to their own Boeing 707 with the Zep Logo. Now that is what you call Flaunting It.

Rap and Hip Hop are directly linked to James Brown - the off beat may be different, but the soul behind it isn't. And it is never going away. Not as long as kids can dance to it.

As for the posturing in Rap - it is street music based on street life. The kids in my H.S. were rapping long before Grandmaster Flash hit and influenced the scene.

Strange as it seems considering I am not a fan of it, having been born in the Bronx where rap was first conceived makes me very proud.

Sections
Shortcuts