Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers: Let's go American

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers: Let's go American

Let's celebrate and show a little love for Tom Petty, an American and native Floridian.

So how do you like your Tom Petty?   Or don't you?

I heard "I Won't Back Down" covered on a tv show I was watching this week, and that song has a lot of meaning for me.   Next day, heard one of his songs on WERS, and I realized Petty has a decent** catalogue of music that he's presented to his loyal fans over the span of the past 30 years and counting.

List a few of your favorite Tom Petty songs (solo or w/the Heartbreakers) with commentary if you're in the mood.  :)   

Thoughts, anyone? 

**awesome, outstanding, influential, and rock solid

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Re: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers: Let's go American

he's got some great tunes, but it all seems to blend together for me. a lot of repeated formulas...but there's no denying his talent.  the heartbreakers are as solid of a band as any. 

i'd take the wilbury's every time

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Rockers of high esteem, IMO, and Petty himself is a prolific songwriter and well-travelled elder statesman of American Rock.

"Damn The Torpedoes" is a nearly flawless album.

Byrds + Stones + southern grit = what's not to love...??

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I've seen him a few times.  He puts on a great Rock and Roll show.  Plenty of opportunities for sing alongs.  Nothing outstanding, but very, very solid.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Good point about the Wilbury's.  I'm sure there are others that feel the same way.  Just shows Petty's range. 

I'm not in love with Petty's music, but he's another artist that has lasted well over 30 years (remember the thread when this was discussed?) and he's definitely made a contribution. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

"decent catalogue of music?"

yoga , are you kidding me?

I have been fan of Tom Petty since his first LP came out, when he was mistakenly grouped along with punk bands of the era ( the fact he is wearing a very punk leather jacket and looks stoned or something on the self-titled first LP did lots to help those who didn't bother to listen to it assume it was "punk rock").

I work with a young man who plays guitar in a band, he is about 21 years old and absolutley loves the music of Tom Petty.

Unlike many artists of the 70's who have continued on into the 2000's , Petty has never had a "slack period" in his career. He has simply made consistently great music for over 30 years. In 1979, Petty was one of literally hundreds of Rock artists being played regularly on FM radio. He just blended in with all the others who were churning out album after album , Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, the Cars, Pat Benatar and on and on. Petty has pretty much outlasted them all, and continues to make great music....his latest LP contains some excellent stuff.

A "decent catalogue of music" indeed!!! I'd revise that and say a "catalogue of music that stands with the greatest Rock artists of all-time." He has eclipsed many acts that got way more hype and attention along the way....he is quite honestly one of the best ever.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Is that enough "love" for ya?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Tom Petty is one of my all-time favs. Got to see him in concert only once, and it was amazing the wide range of fans he attracted to a sold out show. He is a great rock and roll traditionalist. He built on the sounds of The Byrds and Dylan and the Heartbreakers added power and punch with their solid rock backing. I would go a step further than Matty and say that Damn the Torpedoes is a damn perfect album.

And any guy who covers Howlin' Wolf in concert ("Little Red Rooster") is cool by me.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Great comments, Zilla.   :D

I create the threads, but you write the main script.  Works for me!  And since JE isn't around (must be at the beach), this might mean I get to fill his role for a while.

Let me explain my use of the word "decent" as a FYI.   You may not have noticed, but I use that word in almost all my posts; it's one of my commonly spoken words, in my own lexicon, interchangeable with awesome, or outstanding. 

I know it's not the definition in the dictionary; it's part of my very cool persona (choke), and I put my own spin on it.   So if I say, "that's a decent catalogue of music",  now you'll know I'm not being blase.   Cool

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers: Let's go American:
    [QUOTE]Is that enough "love" for ya?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]
    Totally. 

I can't remember the thread, but we did recently discuss bands that have had successful, long, wildly popular runs, but there was a lull when the question was asked, who else fit into the category.   No one mentioned Petty, at least at that time.   So described as "decent"  (hope I am now exonerated for the crime!) or not, I figured we were overdue to discuss his work.  

I also know lots of younger music-lovers that are enamored of Tom Petty, which I also find interesting. 

And thanks for the tip on the album from DD and Matty, too. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers: Let's go American : Totally.  I can't remember the thread, but we did recently discuss bands that have had successful, long, wildly popular runs, but there was a lull when the question was asked, who else fit into the category.   No one mentioned Petty, at least at that time.   So described as "decent"  (hope I am now exonerated from the crime!) or not, I figured we were overdue to discuss his work.   I also know lots of younger music-lovers that are enamored of Tom Petty, which I also find interesting.  And thanks for the tip on the album from DD and Matty, too. 
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Actually, yoga, you could do worse than check out the Classic Albums documentary on "DTT".  (It's available on netflix and maybe vh1 classic online.)

It's a good example of a unabashed rock band doing what they wanted despite the trends of the day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Pretty "decent" thread!!!

Yes, I seem to remember using this back in the 80's or 90's.

In 1967 things were "groovy" and "far out."

In 1972 , everything was "cool"

By the 80's things got "Radical" or "RAD"...not to mention the Valley Girl term "tubular" or they would use "totally" ( as you did) ...are you a Valley Girl?

Others include: "WICKED" , I think this is purely New England.
                                 "Bad" , which meant "good" ...(as in that car is "BAD" man!!!)

I do remember using "decent" to mean something was really cool with me. "Hey , let's eat here!...their food is decent, man!"

Sorry I took this literally, when reading off a computer terminal screen, sometimes the full intent and meaning gets lost.

So, we can anticipate your membership check for the Tom Petty fan club is in the mail?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Tom Petty is a great artist, period, not just a great American artist.

My favorite Petty song is 'The Waiting'.  I think it is a majestic song, perfect in construction and packed with emotion.  I savor every note of it.

From the same Hard Promises album I think 'Insider' is the best of his melancholy songs.  The pain in that song feels very real.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

I love him in concert.  He's very appreciative to the audience.  His band is solid.  he plays hit after hit.  It's a great time.  A warm summer night down in Mansfield.

The last time I saw him I think Steve Winwood opened for him.  I was never a fan until I saw him live.  What a great, great guitarist and he's pretty good on the keyboards.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

There's a handful of bands I either didn't like or thought were so-so when I was younger but later came around on. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers is one. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Love Tom Petty.

Z -- great posts.

I love his Heartbreakers stuff, and his solo stuff and his duets with Stevie Nicks.

One of my favorite songs is live version of "Insider" that he does with Nicks on the live album.

"It's Good to be King" is my favorite song from his solo work.

He has too many great songs with the Heartbreakers to list.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Hey Gang - I am back from vacation - what's up?

Great artist thread Yogi.

Good comments by all, even the slightly negative ones.

Truth be told, "American Girl" from their debut album is one of the great tracks in RnR.

The Heartbreakers are an amazing band. Sorry that Stan Lynch left the band and Mike Campbell is truly a guitar God that not enough people pay attention to.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from carraway. Show carraway's posts

[QUOTE]"decent catalogue of music?" yoga , are you kidding me? I have been fan of Tom Petty since his first LP came out, when he was mistakenly grouped along with punk bands of the era ( the fact he is wearing a very punk leather jacket and looks stoned or something on the self-titled first LP did lots to help those who didn't bother to listen to it assume it was "punk rock"). I work with a young man who plays guitar in a band, he is about 21 years old and absolutley loves the music of Tom Petty. Unlike many artists of the 70's who have continued on into the 2000's , Petty has never had a "slack period" in his career. He has simply made consistently great music for over 30 years. In 1979, Petty was one of literally hundreds of Rock artists being played regularly on FM radio. He just blended in with all the others who were churning out album after album , Springsteen, Fleetwood Mac, Foreigner, the Cars, Pat Benatar and on and on. Petty has pretty much outlasted them all, and continues to make great music....his latest LP contains some excellent stuff. A "decent catalogue of music" indeed!!! I'd revise that and say a "catalogue of music that stands with the greatest Rock artists of all-time." He has eclipsed many acts that got way more hype and attention along the way....he is quite honestly one of the best ever.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

hahahaha outlasted springsteen? reallly? hahahahah. respect petty but outlasting springsteen is silly talk. Not in the same class as Springsteen. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers: Let's go American : hahahaha outlasted springsteen? reallly? hahahahah. respect petty but outlasting springsteen is silly talk. Not in the same class as Springsteen. 
    Posted by carraway[/QUOTE]

Petty blows Bruce away. And definitely outlasted Springsteen as far as continuing to put out really good music.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from StalkingButler. Show StalkingButler's posts

Petty never did that much for me but then that's true for a lot of the classic rock bands.

As an aside, one of the funniest TV moments that I can remember was in one of the old Wings episodes where Lowell expounds on how he thought that Petty was one of the handsomest men alive. He was ready to pummel anyone who didn't agree! Pure comedy gold :=)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Pretty "decent" thread!!! Sorry I took this literally, when reading off a computer terminal screen, sometimes the full intent and meaning gets lost. So, we can anticipate your membership check for the Tom Petty fan club is in the mail?Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE] No problem.  I didn't take you seriously,TBH, but I decided to define "decent" for you anyhow.  I have another word I (over) use quite a bit, stay tuned, I may replace 'decent' with a new word any day now, if I can break the habit.  :D
    Yes, check's in the mail.

Oh, a few of my favorites include:
    Free Falling
    Listen to her Heart
    The Waiting

I love that those three songs can be identified by just one (or two) of the opening chords.  :)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers: Let's go American : Petty blows Bruce away. And definitely outlasted Springsteen as far as continuing to put out really good music.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I have to agree with jessey here when talking in whole terms and in spite of their stylistic differences.

The comparison is apt because they tend to write songs that can be adapted to solo acoustic or with their respective full bands - all of whom are quintessential professionals. 

Lyrically, I would say Bruce has a better ear for narrative (more jackson browne-ish?), while Tom is a bit more prosaic (though rarely if ever boring).

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I don't know who you might point to, as Americans, who could rival his consistency and longevity . . .  which is not even to mention that American Girl is the quintessential American rock n roll song. I don't know that I would bother making the comparison with Springsteen.  Petty never bought into his own hype the way  Bruce did, and it's readily apparent in the music. It may be that there isn't anything particularly earth-shattering in Tom Petty's catalogue (then again . . .   maybe there is), but I would say that he's been more consistently dependable than any of his contemporaries. With Petty, you know what to expect and, as Tom himself was wont to say, you're gonna get it.

Some favorites:

The Wild One, Forever
    Magnolia
    You Tell Me
    Rebels
    You Wreck Me
    You Don't Know How it Feels

Oh . . .  and in your discussion of slang descriptives of various eras, you forgot "mint."

Tom Petty is mint.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

The 1978 record "I Need to Know" is another great RnR song.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I had the 'Southern Accents' album on cassette and I gave the first side of it some very heavy airplay.  It was a great sequence of tunes.

Rebels
    It Ain't Nothin' To Me
    Don't Come Around Here No More
    Southern Accents