Top 100 Beatles Songs By RS Mag; Jessey, Do You Agree?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Top 100 Beatles Songs By RS Mag; Jessey, Do You Agree?

I just picked up the Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 100 Beatles Songs Special Edition. It was not bad. I've never ranked their songs myself. For those who haven't seen the list, here's the top 10, then some comments.

1. A Day in the Life
    2. I Want to Hold Your Hand
    3. Strawberry Fields Forever
    4. Yesterday
    5. In My Life
    6. Something
    7. Hey Jude
    8. Let It Be
    9. Come Together
    10. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Comments:
    My favorite Harrison song is "Here Comes the Sun" listed at No. 28 -- well it's at least tied with "Something" so I'd switch it at at No. 10 and move WMGGW to No. 28.

I'd switch She Loves You (No. 14) with Come Together.

Tomorrow Never Knows is a good song but is ranked too high at No. 18. There are better songs.

The Abbey Road Medley (and it's listed as that) is at No. 23. I remember someone (Jessey?) really liked that. I do to. I can live with it there.

Can't Buy Me Love is too low at No. 29. I'd probably switch spots with No. 24's Happiness is a Warm Gun.

Other songs that are way too low are:
    No. 69 Julia. Should be at least 30 spots higher.

No. 84 Across the Universe. This is perhaps my favorite song. I might not put it at No. 1 or even squeeze into the top 10, but I could easily put it at No. 11, move "Hard Day's Night" to No. 12 and drop "Norwegian Wood" (not a favorite) to No .84.

No. 86. Lady Madonna. I'd move it up at least into the top 50.

No. 90. the Long and Winding Road. Probably the worst ranking. This is a top 20 song.

100. Hello, Goodbye. I'd move this up some, maybe not in the top 50 but not much lower -- somewhere in the 50 to 65 range perhaps, although if I actually did a list it might rank higher.

MAJOR, GLARING, SINFUL OMISSION: Octopus' Garden. I love this song. It needs to be ranked because it shows the fun side of the Beatles, especially Ringo. It was that dynamic of the four that made them so special. And the song itself was well-done. I love the harmonies in the song.

EDIT: Two other ommissions: Fool On The Hill and When I'm 64. Not as major, but still omissions IMO. I'd stick both in the top 100 somewhere. I like the intro to 64.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Re: Top 100 Beatles Songs By RS Mag; Jessey, Do You Agree?

This is very subjective. My top as far as era....starting from early to 1970....There's a place,From me to You, Please, Please Me,All My Loving,Another Girl,The night before,I need you,For No One, A day in the life, Fixing a hole,Your Mother should know,Lady Madonna,Hey Jude,While My guitar gently weeps,I will,Birthday,Don't let me down,Here comes the sun,For you blue. Oops forgot my favorites that were from Rubber Soul. I've just seen a face, I'm looking through you, Run for your life. I'm only sleeping should be on my list, forgot about that one.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Haven't seen the list, and not necessarily disagreeing (never gave it that much thought) but who voted for these songs?

I'm starting to resent RS' attempts at trying to pigeonhole artistic works like this.  I mean, it's one thing to shoot the breeze on a forum like this, but to me, it's just really lazy journalism.

It's way too subjective, and 100 is too arbitrary a number.  That said, as a more-than-average Beatles fan, these songs should have made the cut:

Lovely Rita
    Getting Better
    Dig A Pony
    Don't Let Me Down
    Dear Prudence
    Martha, My Dear
    I'm Only Sleeping
    Doctor Robert
    You've Got To Hide Your Love Away
    For No One
    Old Brown Shoe
    Rain
    One After 909

Cry Baby Cry
    Eleanor Rigby
    Get Back
    Ticket To Ride
    Mother Nature's Son
    Here, There And Everywhere

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

roy can you post the top 100 if you get a chance? Smile

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Top 100 Beatles Songs By RS Mag; Jessey, Do You Agree?:
    [QUOTE]I just picked up the Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 100 Beatles Songs Special Edition. It was not bad. I've never ranked their songs myself. For those who haven't seen the list, here's the top 10, then some comments. 1. A Day in the Life 2. I Want to Hold Your Hand 3. Strawberry Fields Forever 4. Yesterday 5. In My Life 6. Something 7. Hey Jude 8. Let It Be 9. Come Together 10. While My Guitar Gently Weeps Comments: My favorite Harrison song is "Here Comes the Sun" listed at No. 28 -- well it's at least tied with "Something" so I'd switch it at at No. 10 and move WMGGW to No. 28. I'd switch She Loves You (No. 14) with Come Together. Tomorrow Never Knows is a good song but is ranked too high at No. 18. There are better songs. The Abbey Road Medley (and it's listed as that) is at No. 23. I remember someone (Jessey?) really liked that. I do to. I can live with it there. Can't Buy Me Love is too low at No. 29. I'd probably switch spots with No. 24's Happiness is a Warm Gun. Other songs that are way too low are: No. 69 Julia. Should be at least 30 spots higher. No. 84 Across the Universe. This is perhaps my favorite song. I might not put it at No. 1 or even squeeze into the top 10, but I could easily put it at No. 11, move "Hard Day's Night" to No. 12 and drop "Norwegian Wood" (not a favorite) to No .84. No. 86. Lady Madonna. I'd move it up at least into the top 50. No. 90. the Long and Winding Road. Probably the worst ranking. This is a top 20 song. 100. Hello, Goodbye. I'd move this up some, maybe not in the top 50 but not much lower -- somewhere in the 50 to 65 range perhaps, although if I actually did a list it might rank higher. MAJOR, GLARING, SINFUL OMISSION: Octopus' Garden. I love this song. It needs to be ranked because it shows the fun side of the Beatles, especially Ringo. It was that dynamic of the four that made them so special. And the song itself was well-done. I love the harmonies in the song. EDIT: Two other ommissions: Fool On The Hill and When I'm 64. Not as major, but still omissions IMO. I'd stick both in the top 100 somewhere. I like the intro to 64.
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I refuse to acknowledge that Rolling Stone even exists.

That being said, no I do not agree. Here are my favorites, therefore I think it is their best.

1)  I'm Only Sleeping
    2)  Across the Universe
    3)  Paperback Writer
    4)  Strawberry Fields Forever
    5)  Dear Prudence
    6)  Helter Skelter
    7)  Hide Your Love Away
    8)  Revolution
    9)  Baby You're a Rich Man
    10)Tomorrow Never Knows
    11) She Said, She Said
    12) I Want To Tell You
    13) Rocky Raccoon
    14) Not A Second Time
    15) I Want You (She's So Heavy)
    16) Medley from Abbey Road (6 songs)
    17) I Am The Walrus
    18) Dig A Pony
    19) Love Me Do
    20) Two of Us
    21) A Day In A Life
    22) I'm a Loser
    23) Don't Bother me
    24) In My Life
    25) Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me and my Monkey

This top 25 is completely off the top of my head and if I review it, there will probably be changes. Thank goodness for the edit on this site.

Just looking at this, I see I am missing Rain and Because, Julia, Blackbird.

Ok - this is just an impossible list to come up with.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Re: Top 100 Beatles Songs By RS Mag; Jessey, Do You Agree?:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Top 100 Beatles Songs By RS Mag; Jessey, Do You Agree? : I refuse to acknowledge that Rolling Stone even exists. That being said, no I do not agree. Here are my favorites, therefore I think it is their best. 1)  I'm Only Sleeping 2)  Across the Universe 3)  Paperback Writer 4)  Strawberry Fields Forever 5)  Dear Prudence 6)  Helter Skelter 7)  Hide Your Love Away 8)  Revolution 9)  Baby You're a Rich Man 10)Tomorrow Never Knows 11) She Said, She Said 12) I Want To Tell You 13) Rocky Raccoon 14) Not A Second Time 15) I Want You (She's So Heavy) 16) Medley from Abbey Road (6 songs) 17) I Am The Walrus 18) Dig A Pony 19) Love Me Do 20) Two of Us 21) A Day In A Life 22) I'm a Loser 23) Don't Bother me 24) In My Life 25) Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me and my Monkey This top 25 is completely off the top of my head and if I review it, there will probably be changes. Thank goodness for the edit on this site. Just looking at this, I see I am missing Rain and Because, Julia, Blackbird. Ok - this is just an impossible list to come up with.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

Not bad. 

Personally, I think Rolling Stone did a decent job. The Beatles have so many great songs and their music evolved so much that I doubt if you had 100 die-hard Beatles fans, their lists wouldn't look anything close.

I like your top 25, but I think early songs like "I Want To Hold Your Hand," and "She Loves You" deserve mention.

In fact, I'd probably create two lists. Their top pre-Sgt. Pepper songs and their top post-Sgt. Pepper. I think you can see a distinct difference in the eras, even if some songs from pre and post could be from any era.

A side note: I like that you ranked "Two of Us" so high, although I'd put it above "Dig A Pony." I remember the first time hearing that song that it had certain raw quality to it. And anytime I see video from the "Let It Be" sessions, including the rooftop set, I can't help but feeling cheated that they didn't do at least one last tour around 1970.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Top 100 Beatles Songs By RS Mag; Jessey, Do You Agree? : I refuse to acknowledge that Rolling Stone even exists. That being said, no I do not agree. Here are my favorites, therefore I think it is their best. 1)  I'm Only Sleeping 2)  Across the Universe 3)  Paperback Writer 4)  Strawberry Fields Forever 5)  Dear Prudence 6)  Helter Skelter 7)  Hide Your Love Away 8)  Revolution 9)  Baby You're a Rich Man 10)Tomorrow Never Knows 11) She Said, She Said 12) I Want To Tell You 13) Rocky Raccoon 14) Not A Second Time 15) I Want You (She's So Heavy) 16) Medley from Abbey Road (6 songs) 17) I Am The Walrus 18) Dig A Pony 19) Love Me Do 20) Two of Us 21) A Day In A Life 22) I'm a Loser 23) Don't Bother me 24) In My Life 25) Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me and my Monkey This top 25 is completely off the top of my head and if I review it, there will probably be changes. Thank goodness for the edit on this site. Just looking at this, I see I am missing Rain and Because, Julia, Blackbird. Ok - this is just an impossible list to come up with.

Hey Jessey - this is Eric. I think you are a knucklehead.

Where is:

Getting Better, Lovely Rita, It Won't Be Long, Not a Second Time, Baby's in Black, Eight Days a Week, Norwegian Wood, Wait, It's Only Love, For No One, Fixing a Hole, She's Leaving Home, Hey Bulldog, Thank You Girl?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

A Day In The Life
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Ride My Car
    Got To Get You Into My Life

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

This band sux! Not one classic song in the whole lot of them.

Worst Beatle Songs:

Michele

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Man, what a really tough exercise. It's like picking who your favorite child is. OK, it's nothing like that, but is tough.

Anyway, not having seen the Rolling Stone's list, here goes my top 10:

1. Let It Be
    2. Across the Universe
    3. You've Got To Hide Your Love Away.
    4. Day Tripper
    5. Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight
    6. Cry Baby Cry
    7. Don't Let Me Down
    8. For No One
    9. Get Back
    10. While My Guitar Gently Weeps

This list is subject to change at any given moment.

(Oh, and Jess ... definitely "Michelle" is my least favorite. Though it was hilarious when Paul sang it at the White House).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

It's funny how I called "Across the Universe" my favorite song; jessey and lloyd have it at No. 2, yet Rolling Stone has it at No. 84.

This isn't a knock on RS. Everyone has their different opinion. As I mentioned in my first post, I agree with some of their selections and don't like some others. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Roy - Across the Universe is such an amazing song and probably would have been a top 10 single if it weren't for the fact that by the time Let It Be was released, they were no longer together. The song Let It Be got all the press as the movie and album were released.

To be honest, I can pretty much flip flop any of my top 5 songs because they are so perfectly done. And the best part is that there is nothing similar about them. As far as I can hear, "Sleeping" is the beginning of Alternative music. Dear Prudence is simply one of the most beautiful love songs ever written. Strawberry Fields is king amongst the psych. scene. And PBW is a perfect guitar song and unmatched harmonies.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I'll just list ten favorites that I haven't seen here yet.

I Feel Fine
    We Can Work it Out
    If I Fell
    Help
    Nowhere Man
    Taxman
    With A Little Help From My Friends
    Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds
    Penny Lane
    All You Need Is Love

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Here is what is amazing - not one of those songs were in my top 25 and I canont think of one reason why they are not there.

All these songs are 40 plus years old and most of them would sound fresh today if just released. How great were these guys?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I've been steeping myself in Beatles the past few days watching the Anthology DVD's.  Just mind-boggling stuff.   

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

I've seen no Sexy Sadie here.  Idiots.

Just kidding but this is a ridiculous exercise.  Lately, Hey Bulldog has probably been the most played track in my house.

John Lennon loved Across the Universe but was never happy with ANY of the versions released.  I think the best version I've heard is on Let It Be...Naked.

And I'n sure the song Let It Be must be on the list somewhere, but which version?  I'm partial to the album version as opposed to the George Martin-produced single.  This is the only case where I thought Phil Specter out-produced Martin.

I've Got a Feeling
    One After 909
    Old Brown Shoe
    She's A Woman
    Oh! Darling
    Don't Let Me Down
    And Your Bird Can Sing

I would just eventually list every f***ing song.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

No two people will list the same 10 Beatles songs in the same exact order.

And this gets substantially or exponentially worse as you try to expand this to 100 songs.

No group in the history of Rock has ever or will ever record such brilliant array of songs with so varied of a sound.

Eleanor Rigby: such a simple sounding song, but utterly brilliant. I used to think it was "rock" because the Beatles did it...but it is not "rock music" at all.

I could tell you that "Revolution" is absolutley brilliant because it seems at first , to the casual listener as if John (being John , of course) is promoting revolt, but as the song progresses , it seems like quite the opposite...or is it? This is what always intrigues me most about John's music, he loves being ambiguous and messing with people's minds. Glass Onion, Hey Bulldog, and Come Together are some of my favorites , although there are so many brilliant Harrison songs and Ringo was no slouch either.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]It's funny how I called "Across the Universe" my favorite song; jessey and lloyd have it at No. 2, yet Rolling Stone has it at No. 84. This isn't a knock on RS. Everyone has their different opinion. As I mentioned in my first post, I agree with some of their selections and don't like some others. 
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

Actually, I should have included an asterisk by "Across the Universe." I don't particularly like the version that appeared on "Let It Be." Far too overproduced (don't drop the soap, Phil Spector) with the background choir and orchestra. But the "Let It Be ... Naked" version is flawless. Lyrically, it's as good as anything John did (high praise, indeed!).

Jessy, you're right: Most of these songs could be released today and sound as fresh -- if not fresher -- than contemporary rock. I've always firmly believed that until the Beatles are recognized as equals to Mozart and Beethoven, they are underrated.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 100 Beatles Songs By RS Mag; Jessey, Do You Agree? : Actually, I should have included an asterisk by "Across the Universe." I don't particularly like the version that appeared on "Let It Be." Far too overproduced (don't drop the soap, Phil Spector) with the background choir and orchestra. But the "Let It Be ... Naked" version is flawless. Lyrically, it's as good as anything John did (high praise, indeed!). Jessy, you're right: Most of these songs could be released today and sound as fresh -- if not fresher -- than contemporary rock. I've always firmly believed that until the Beatles are recognized as equals to Mozart and Beethoven, they are underrated.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

I like both versions of "Across the Universe" but I do like the Nake version better. The entire album is better. It's what the original plan for that album was supposed to be -- no studio tricks or any other bells and whistles, just stripped down, back to the basics rock 'n' roll.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

If somebody wants to rank Beatle songs I could respect that.  I don't think I could do it.  Its like trying to figure a ranking for: steak, lobster, pheasant, good veal, great barbecue chicken or great ribs.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

It's funny how I was always a Lennon fan first becuase of his writing. But my list has mostly Paul songs. I guess I should re-think my opinion on that. Does anyone else notice that or vice versa?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]It's funny how I was always a Lennon fan first becuase of his writing. But my list has mostly Paul songs. I guess I should re-think my opinion on that. Does anyone else notice that or vice versa?
    Posted by jaytf25[/QUOTE]

Paul has an amazing understanding of pop sensibilities. His songs are definitely toe-tapping, humming type songs.  

Eleanor Rigby: such a simple sounding song, but utterly brilliant. I used to think it was "rock" because the Beatles did it...but it is not "rock music" at all.  (Zillagod) 

Zilla - this is exactly what I was trying to say to you in an earlier thread. I will always consider The Who as my favorite Rock band but that is because I cannot pigeon-hole the Beatles in any shape or form when it comes to music. IMHO, They are the greatest musical entity this world has every seen and this includes the greats like Mozart, Bach, etc. And let's bypass 62-64 for a minute. 1965 - 1969 saw such a variety in music from this band that it literally boggles the mind. I studied music for years and it was even my minor in college. And yet my mind cannot grasp the level of intelligence, humor, experimentation and outright genius they gave us in those 5 years. A 5 year period that took us from Rubber Soul to Abbey Road. That is 1,825 days to write hundreds of songs that will live on forever.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]1965 - 1969 saw such a variety in music from this band that it literally boggles the mind. I studied music for years and it was even my minor in college. And yet my mind cannot grasp the level of intelligence, humor, experimentation and outright genius they gave us in those 5 years. A 5 year period that took us from Rubber Soul to Abbey Road. That is 1,825 days to write hundreds of songs that will live on forever.      

Pretty miraculous, isn't it?  In a way we have benefitted from the fact that the Beatles were pushed so hard by their management to crank out the material.  Nowadays some bands take longer to put out one album than it took the Beatles to produce those several hundred songs.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 100 Beatles Songs By RS Mag; Jessey, Do You Agree? : Pretty miraculous, isn't it?  In a way we have benefitted from the fact that the Beatles were pushed so hard by their management to crank out the material.  Nowadays some bands take longer to put out one album than it took the Beatles to produce those several hundred songs.
    Posted by Hfxsoxnut[/QUOTE]

The demand for more Beatles albums likely had more to do with them breaking up than Yoko (who usually gets the blame). This is a double-edge sword. They did so much in a short span of time, but I think they all suffered from burnout and drug addiction in the end.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Trivia question. Which Beatles song was the first to be a top 10 hit after they broke up. It wasn't "Free as a bird". I don't include "The long and winding road" because that was just as they broke up. It became no. 1 after Let it be in May or June of 70. Well I guess that would be it but this song was released as a single quite a few years after they broke up. Hint: It was from one of their best albums which had two big hits but this song was never relased as a single until a few or more years after they broke up?