Top 100 Beatles Songs By RS Mag; Jessey, Do You Agree?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Top 100 Beatles Songs By RS Mag; Jessey, Do You Agree?

I think they had about a half dozen songs that charted  in the top 100 after 75. But I think "Got To Get you Into My Life" broke the top 10. I think 76; maybe 77.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

In Response to Re: Top 100 Beatles Songs By RS Mag; Jessey, Do You Agree?:
    [QUOTE]I think they had about a half dozen songs that charted  in the top 100 after 75. But I think "Got To Get you Into My Life" broke the top 10. I think 76; maybe 77.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    You got it. Spring 76. I wonder why they made that into a single almost 10 years after Revolver? It's a good song.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]If somebody wants to rank Beatle songs I could respect that.  I don't think I could do it.  Its like trying to figure a ranking for: steak, lobster, pheasant, good veal, great barbecue chicken or great ribs.
    Posted by cavaliersfan[/QUOTE]   
    But then again, I do have my favorite Beatle songs.  There's just so many of them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 100 Beatles Songs By RS Mag; Jessey, Do You Agree? : Paul has an amazing understanding of pop sensibilities. His songs are definitely toe-tapping, humming type songs.   Eleanor Rigby: such a simple sounding song, but utterly brilliant. I used to think it was "rock" because the Beatles did it...but it is not "rock music" at all.  (Zillagod)  Zilla - this is exactly what I was trying to say to you in an earlier thread. I will always consider The Who as my favorite Rock band but that is because I cannot pigeon-hole the Beatles in any shape or form when it comes to music. IMHO, They are the greatest musical entity this world has every seen and this includes the greats like Mozart, Bach, etc. And let's bypass 62-64 for a minute. 1965 - 1969 saw such a variety in music from this band that it literally boggles the mind. I studied music for years and it was even my minor in college. And yet my mind cannot grasp the level of intelligence, humor, experimentation and outright genius they gave us in those 5 years. A 5 year period that took us from Rubber Soul to Abbey Road. That is 1,825 days to write hundreds of songs that will live on forever.      
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]   I agree.  A significant portion of Beatle music is not Rock and Roll.  Just great music. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]It's funny how I was always a Lennon fan first becuase of his writing. But my list has mostly Paul songs. I guess I should re-think my opinion on that. Does anyone else notice that or vice versa?
    Posted by jaytf25[/QUOTE]

Now that you mention it ... I always considered myself more of a Paul guy, but my list goes 5 John, 4 Paul, 1 George.

By the way, if you haven't picked up that Rolling Stone issue, it's a must for any serious Beatles fan. It has tons of information on the songs and a bunch of pics. My favorite nugget: George Martin argued that "Hey Jude" was too long and the radio wouldn't play a song that was nearly 7 minutes. John says, "They will if it's us."

Touche.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 100 Beatles Songs By RS Mag; Jessey, Do You Agree? : Paul has an amazing understanding of pop sensibilities. His songs are definitely toe-tapping, humming type songs.   Eleanor Rigby: such a simple sounding song, but utterly brilliant. I used to think it was "rock" because the Beatles did it...but it is not "rock music" at all.  (Zillagod)  Zilla - this is exactly what I was trying to say to you in an earlier thread. I will always consider The Who as my favorite Rock band but that is because I cannot pigeon-hole the Beatles in any shape or form when it comes to music. IMHO, They are the greatest musical entity this world has every seen and this includes the greats like Mozart, Bach, etc. And let's bypass 62-64 for a minute. 1965 - 1969 saw such a variety in music from this band that it literally boggles the mind. I studied music for years and it was even my minor in college. And yet my mind cannot grasp the level of intelligence, humor, experimentation and outright genius they gave us in those 5 years. A 5 year period that took us from Rubber Soul to Abbey Road. That is 1,825 days to write hundreds of songs that will live on forever.      

When people ask me why I think the Beatles are unparalleled, I point ot this very fact. In February 1964, their mop-tops were singing "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and "I Saw Her Standing There" -- both terrific rock and roll songs but fairly straight forward. Merely two years later, they were doing "She Said She Said," "Got To Get You Into My Life," "For No One" and "I'm Only Sleeping." Name any band EVER that evolved that much in two years. That's just mind-boggling.

And two years after that came "The White Album." And a year after that, "Abbey Road."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I haven't seen these early ones yet:

Baby It's You (Covered famously in '69 by Smith)

A Taste Of Honey (Covered famously by Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass)

All My Loving (Answers the trvia question "What was the 1st song done on Ed Sullivan"?)

Do You Want To Know A Secret (Mesmerizing)

Things We Said Today (Great melody, key changes)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]I haven't seen these early ones yet: Baby It's You (Covered famously in '69 by Smith) A Taste Of Honey (Covered famously by Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass) All My Loving (Answers the trvia question "What was the 1st song done on Ed Sullivan"?) Do You Want To Know A Secret (Mesmerizing) Things We Said Today (Great melody, key changes)
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

I love "Things We Said Today," particularly the key change you mentioned. That ranked 47th in the RS issue.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Impossible to pick the best, but for me a few really stand out:

I'll Be Back
    Norwegian Wood
    Eleanor Rigby
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Strawberry Fields
    She's Leaving Home
    Hide Your Love Away
    Long And Winding Road and Let it Be. Both songs just seem to capture the impending breakup of the group perfectly

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Songs that gained stature in time IMO, partly based on what my kids now like:

Come Together (This used to bore me when it first appeared; what did I know?)
    I Am The Walrus
    Because
    Hey Jude (If that's possible)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

I Feel Fine was one of their earliest "feedback" songs

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

What's sad is that we'll never know if they would have ever done anything together again. From what I've read, it seems like that after the animosity of the initial breakup, as the 1970 went on, they were friends. Remember, Paul was visiting John in New York when Lorne Greene made that offer of $100 (Give Ringo less) on SNL. The business issues is what kept a bit of a wedge between them.

Once those business issues were settled in the 1980, I always wondered if they might have gotten together to do something had John had not been killed. If not for an album, then maybe for a benefit (Live Aid, 9/11). 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

[QUOTE]What's sad is that we'll never know if they would have ever done anything together again. From what I've read, it seems like that after the animosity of the initial breakup, as the 1970 went on, they were friends. Remember, Paul was visiting John in New York when Lorne Greene made that offer of $100 (Give Ringo less) on SNL. The business issues is what kept a bit of a wedge between them. Once those business issues were settled in the 1980, I always wondered if they might have gotten together to do something had John had not been killed. If not for an album, then maybe for a benefit (Live Aid, 9/11). 
    Posted by royf19[/QUOTE]

I didn't know that Ben "Pa" Cartright was a Beatles fan. Tongue out

I certainly think the time would have come where the 4 shared the stage together. And I would have been there.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 100 Beatles Songs By RS Mag; Jessey, Do You Agree? : I didn't know that Ben "Pa" Cartright was a Beatles fan. I certainly think the time would have come where the 4 shared the stage together. And I would have been there.

Whoops. Lorne Michaels. Don't know what the he!! I was thinking.

(That was a funny bit.)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

Here's the transcript of the Lorne Michaels/Beatles bit. (Could have sworn it was $100. I guess I'm losing my memory).

Lorne Michaels: Hi, I'm Lorne Michaels, the producer of "Saturday Night". Right now, we're being seen by approximately 22 million viewers, but please allow me, if I may, to address myself to just four very special people - John, Paul, George, and Ringo - the Beatles: Lately there have been a lot of rumors to the effect that the four of you might be getting back together. That would be great. In my book, the Beatles are the best thing that ever happened to music. It goes even deeper than that - you're not just a musical group, you're a part of us. We grew up with you.

It's for this reason that I am inviting you to come on our show. Now, we've heard and read a lot about personality and legal conflicts that might prevent you guys from reuniting. That's something which is none of my business. That's a personal problem. You guys will have to handle that. But it's also been said that no one has yet to come up with enough money to satisy you. Well, if it's money you want, there's no problem here.

The National Broadcasting Company has authorized me to offer you this check to be on our show.. [ holds up check ] ..a certified check for $3,000. Here it is right here. A check made out to you, the Beatles, for $3,000. All you have to do is sing three Beatles songs. "She loves you, yeah, yeah, yeah." That's $1,000 right there. You know the words - it'll be easy.

Like I said, this is made out to the Beatles - you divide it up any way you want. If you want to give less to Ringo, that's up to you - I'd rather not get involved. I'm sincere about this. If this helps you to reach a decision to reunite, it's well worth the investment. You have agents - you know where I can be reached. Just think about it, okay? [ shows the check again ] Thank you.