Top 5 music movies

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

Top 5 music movies

OK, I borrowed the headline from a John Cusack movie, but there are some very good movies about music out there. Just off the top of my head I could suggest:
    Caddilac Records
    Great Balls of Fire
    Across the Universe
    Walk the Line
    O Brother Where Art Thou
    Roustabout
    A Prairie Home Companion
    The Last Waltz
    Buena Vista Social Club
    Cry Baby
    I'm sure you all have other opinions, which is what makes it fun. I'll reveal my top 5 later.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Top 5 music movies

Hard Day's Night
    This is Spinal Tap
    Quadrophenia
    The Buddy Holly Story
    Welcome to my Nightmare

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from shumirules. Show shumirules's posts

Anvil! The story of Anvil

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

I'm curious if anybody in here remembers a ridiculous animated film from somewhere in the early '80s called American Pop.

I'm not sure exactly why that particular film popped into my head when I opened this thread. I don't recall it being any good. As I remember it, it was trying to capitalize on the . . .   ummmmm . . .  success? . . .  of Heavy Metal and was loosely based on a Janis Joplin-type character.

Either that or I'm entirely wrong.

In any case, if concert films count you'd have to put The Last Waltz somewhere pretty close to the top of the list.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz508. Show chazz508's posts

Help
    Purple Rain
    Almost Famous
    That Thing You Do
    Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story  "the wrong kid died."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Not mentioned yet FTR (I don't have any faves other than Spinal Tap):

Coal Miner's Daughter
    Nashville 
    Ray

(Hi, Carnie!)  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

In Response to Re: Top 5 music movies:
    [QUOTE]
    Summer is kind of like the ultimate one-night stand: hot as hell, totally thrilling, and gone before you know it.”
    Posted by chazz508[/QUOTE]

Excuse me?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from gerbs. Show gerbs's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 5 music movies : Excuse me?
    Posted by jkjband[/QUOTE]

Gee, and I thought that was a lovely sentiment Laughing

Back on topic ... Stop Making Sense

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Does the animated "Heavy Metal" count as a RnR movie?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]Not mentioned yet FTR (I don't have any faves other than Spinal Tap): Coal Miner's Daughter Nashville  Ray (Hi, Carnie!)  :)
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]Ray is one I was going to mention, as was The Buddy Holly Story. FTR my top 5 are
    Roustabout (because Elvis plays a carnie)
    Cry Baby (because I love me some rockabilly)
    Great Balls of Fire (because of the great scene where Jerry Lee lights his piano on fire during the song of the same name just to give Chuck something to follow)
    Caddilac Records (Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Chuck Berry and Etta James)
    O Brother Where Art Thou (because I love string band music)
    Honorable mention to Buena Vista Social Club for having Ry Cooder playing jazz.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

A Hard Day's Night ... "He's very clean."
    This Is Spinal Tap ... "You can't dust for vomit."
    Almost Famous ... "I am a golden god!!!"
    "The Buddy Holly Story" ... "Tell them 'Boo-lah Boo-lah!'"
    "Walk the Line" ... "Maybe I am."

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

Forrest Gump has the best soundtrack of all time.  Two discs, and nothing short of spectacular.  I listened to it multiple times a day growing up.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

"The Kids are Alright" ranks high with me.  Made a big impression on me when I was in Junior H.S.  Made me want to play guitar.

Easy Rider was a really cool soundtrack.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

INPO

Across The Universe
    Great Balls Of Fire
    The Buddy Holly Story
    Backbeat
    Purple Rain

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

I see a lot of people have mentioned Across the Universe. I have to admit that I enjoyed it very much and was pleasantly surprised how they put it all together.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

My top 5**, inpo:

Almost Famous
    Pink Floyd: The Wall
    High Fidelity
    This Is Spinal Tap
    I Am Trying To Break Your Heart: A Film About Wilco

** leaving aside concert films, which to me are a separate genre, and so go those, inpo:

Stop Making Sense
    How The West Was Won
    The Last Waltz
    The Concert For Bangladesh
    Okonokos

Bonus: "The T.A.M.I. Show"

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]I'm curious if anybody in here remembers a ridiculous animated film from somewhere in the early '80s called American Pop . I'm not sure exactly why that particular film popped into my head when I opened this thread. I don't recall it being any good. As I remember it, it was trying to capitalize on the . . .   ummmmm . . .  success? . . .  of Heavy Metal and was loosely based on a Janis Joplin-type character. Either that or I'm entirely wrong. In any case, if concert films count you'd have to put The Last Waltz somewhere pretty close to the top of the list.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

American Pop was a Ralph Bakshi (Fritz The Cat) creation, somewhat notable for its use of rotoscoping animation.  A novelty perhaps, but one with considerable merit of its own, IMO.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'm kind of surprised there's no mention of Woodstock,Circus of the stars or Crossroads

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]Forrest Gump has the best soundtrack of all time.  Two discs, and nothing short of spectacular.  I listened to it multiple times a day growing up.
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]
    This isn't about soundtracks, m'dear.  If it were, we'd be having a whole different discussion.  Gotcha.  :D   And I'll go with "Grosse Pointe Blank" for that matter.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i feel as though soundtracks from movies made by bands with the music playing a major part in the script shouldn't really be held up against soundtracks from movies where the music isn't central but rather in the background

and again, forrest gump rules all!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cavaliersfan. Show cavaliersfan's posts

The hills are alive .......... with The Sound Of Music.  Love that Julie Andrews.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I should also add Pink Floyd's -The Wall

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]i feel as though soundtracks from movies made by bands with the music playing a major part in the script shouldn't really be held up against soundtracks from movies where the music isn't central but rather in the background and again, forrest gump rules all!
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]

That's really a distinction without a difference, IMO.

Any piece of music in a film is there for a reason; that it becomes iconic or "part of the script" (which may or may not be true) is a function as much of the film than the music itself.  That is, unless the character is actually singing the lyrics or playing the tune, then that's a scripted action.

And I'm with you on Forrest Gump (the soundtrack - not the movie which I have problems with); it's a great classic rock soundtrack.  But is the music any more proscribed than say Dazed And Confused or Pulp Fiction...(or 2001, for that matter)...

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PawsoxPhil. Show PawsoxPhil's posts

Singing in the Rain
    Nashville
    West Side Story
    Sound of Music

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Top 5 music movies : That's really a distinction without a difference, IMO. Any piece of music in a film is there for a reason; that it becomes iconic or "part of the script" (which may or may not be true) is a function as much of the film than the music itself.  That is, unless the character is actually singing the lyrics or playing the tune, then that's a scripted action. And I'm with you on Forrest Gump (the soundtrack - not the movie which I have problems with); it's a great classic rock soundtrack.  But is the music any more proscribed than say Dazed And Confused or Pulp Fiction...(or 2001, for that matter)...
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]
    yeah, i agree. i was more referring to the beatles' efforts and others likethem.  movies that are there for the purpose of having the soundtrack, rather than soundtracks accenting the movie.

however, this does not necessarily apply to the rock opera, as they are generally conceived with storyline.