Traffic, what do you think?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Traffic, what do you think?

I always felt they don't get the notice of the major bands of their time. They were overshadowed by groups that had songs on the charts. Steve Winwood has hit the charts with solo work and Dave Mason had a sniff of solo success too, but the band Traffic has always been "FM" radio bands that you heard a few songs by on the stations that played "album tracks" and complete album sides.

I can very rarely put on a Traffic disc and listen to one song, I am a big fan of their albums. The Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys is one of those late night, headphones on , don't bother me right now, songs.

Great, under-appreciatted to their fullest, classic era ,progressive rock band.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Traffic, what do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_nwbTeIN4Y

Nothing left to be said. This band was amazing.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

In Response to Re: Traffic, what do you think?:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_nwbTeIN4Y Nothing left to be said. This band was amazing.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Wow. That is one very amazing song. I've heard that song before but never could quite track it down.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Traffic has been one of my favorites since hearing John Barleycorn Must Die some 30 years ago. It was one of the first CDs I ever bought and one of the first to make it onto my iPod when I got one a couple years ago. Low Spark is great as well, along with Dear Mr Fantasy is probably what most people think of when they hear the name Traffic, since they seemed to get the most radio play. And while most people probably think of Winwood as a vocalist and keyboard player, Traffic was a great vehicle for his talent on guitar as well. I liked them best as a trio, without Mason, but Low Spark does really shine with a bigger lineup. I especially like Rainmaker and Rock & Roll Stew. Masons Certified Live is one of the better live albums, with a great cover of All Along the Watchtower, which incidently he played acoustic for on the Hendrix cover on what is by far the best known cover of that song. I don't find myself listening to a lot of 70s music these days, but I'll never tire of Traffic.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I owned Shoot Out At the Fantasy Factory on vinyl once upon a time and I have Mr. Fantasy on CD...there's a gorgeous obscurity on that album called No Face, No Name, No Number.

I can't help thinking of Traffic as kind of a hippie-trippy band, but I mean that in the best way.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

If you paint that dude green you would have a Geico commercial.  His eyes move in different directions.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I like Traffic a lot better than Steve Winwood's solo stuff.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JEnvie. Show JEnvie's posts

i love traffic, i was going to post on the thread about favorite concerts traffic and little feat, back in, oh, lets see 75?  At the Boston Garden
    low spark of high heeled boys - i will always connect that to the boy i lost my virginity to and then dear mr fantasy, a man this time, fun while it lasted
    ahhh, memories!!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

One of the best. I hear that Dave Mason fought too much with the other members which is why he left twice. Great group.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

Was away for a few days, so you guys beat me to everything I would have said. Traffic was incredible.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Was away for a few days, so you guys beat me to everything I would have said. Traffic was incredible.
    Posted by LloydDobler

Lloyd, unless you are on the computer 24/7 it is almost impossible to out post jesseyeric. He has started at least a dozen threads that I was thinking about at one time or another.

But this is a good thing. It beats having a music forum that is a virtual graveyard, like this used to be.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mattyhorn. Show Mattyhorn's posts

Awesome band...one of the first and best genuine jam bands...and I mean that as a compliment.  One of the best bands to incorporate folk, blues and jazz elements in their compositions as well as live improvisation. On this last point, the band could really play well and stretch out effortlessly.  Jazz Rock being one of my most beloved non-guilty pleasures, these guys set the bar high.

All of the albums are fantastic, and though I'm partial to Low Spark and John Barleycorn, their "On The Road" disc is also well worth it.  I seek out live Traffic recordings whenever I can.  "Barleycorn" is also an album that works from beginning to end with barely a false note throughout.  Also, check out footage from "Live at Santa Monica" for some full-on psych jams.

My Traffic mix:
    Rock N' Roll Stew
    Glad/Freedom Rider (live jam)
    Sad And Deep As You
    Empty Pages
    Hole In My Shoe
    Medicated Goo
    Every Mother's Son
    Paper Sun
    You Can All Join In
    Tragic Magic (live)
    Shoot Out At The Fantasy Factory
    Low Spark of High-Heeled Boys
    Light Up Or Leave Me Alone
    Pearly Queen
    Something New

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cosmogirl. Show cosmogirl's posts

If I was stranded on a desert island and could only bring one album, it would be Low Spark.

A little bit of heaven in your ears! 

You can listen to it 10 times in a row and not get sick of it.  Just awesome.  Love them! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Traffic, what do you think? : Lloyd, unless you are on the computer 24/7 it is almost impossible to out post jesseyeric. He has started at least a dozen threads that I was thinking about at one time or another. But this is a good thing. It beats having a music forum that is a virtual graveyard, like this used to be.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD

I am still a hundred posts behind you.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Traffic, what do you think? : I am still a hundred posts behind you.
    Posted by jesseyeric

If not for the vacations , you would have left me in the dust around July 1.

Aren't you about due to go to Hawaii or somethin' so I can get a little more breathing room?

It will be a sad day when a Yankee fan passes me on a Boston web forum.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Soon buddy, soon!

Actually I haven't been posting too much on the Sox forum lately except when I see Smelly bumping old threads. The conversation there lately has either been suicidal or acid tripping.

Example - if the Sox don't trade Bowden for A. Gonzalez, then the world will end and I will leap from the Tobin Bridge.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaytf25. Show jaytf25's posts

Soon buddy, soon! Actually I haven't been posting too much on the Sox forum lately except when I see Smelly bumping old threads. The conversation there lately has either been suicidal or acid tripping. Example - if the Sox don't trade Bowden for A. Gonzalez, then the world will end and I will leap from the Tobin Bridge.
    Posted by jesseyeric

Yes we are bi-polar fans, I agree.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Soon buddy, soon! Actually I haven't been posting too much on the Sox forum lately except when I see Smelly bumping old threads. The conversation there lately has either been suicidal or acid tripping. Example - if the Sox don't trade Bowden for A. Gonzalez, then the world will end and I will leap from the Tobin Bridge.
    Posted by jesseyeric

I concede my position to you. I simply can't spend enough time here to hold my spot.

Good luck catching that dude named 'harness' though....he must work , sleep , eat and vacation at his PC!!!

Sections
Shortcuts