Training and Lessons, Enrichment and Joy :)

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Training and Lessons, Enrichment and Joy :)

I'll tie this into music in a minute. :)  I got a little bug in my ear a couple of months ago regarding yoga instructor certification / training.   After 7/8 years of steadfast, consistent and advanced practice, I got it in my head that getting certified as a yoga instructor would be a truly rewarding and enriching accomplishment -- and here's the catch -- I may never land a steady class or teach.  I want the experience and I want to take myself to that level because of the rewards involved in learning.  In fact, since I started looking into various programs, I have witnessed a great number of examples of people taking the training to deepen their practice and knowledge, with no plans to teach, much to my surprise.  Certification requires a standard number of hours of training, and they all benchmark at the same cost ($$$$).  

Now to tie this into music -- have any of you followed a path into your musical interests, spent $$$ on lessons or training, for the love it it, with the end goal being simply knowledge, enrichment, and joy?    Not to make money, not to become an entertainer on a stage, but just  -- well -- just because there's something that drew you there like a magnet?   And there you are, maybe years later, still learning, and loving it?   How about any other artistic pursuit?  Those count, too.  :)

I know this isn't what we normally discuss here,  so I don't expect a lot of traction from this post, but if you care to share your musical pursuits, no matter how big or small, and whatever that has entailed, if it's brought you enrichment and joy, that's all that matters.  

If you care to share, please do.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Re: Training and Lessons, Enrichment and Joy :)

Maybe I would have, but my grandmother was a classically trained singer, and taught me for free, of course.  I remember my lessons (that I implored her for) started when I was about 5 or so, and I remember what they entailed like it was yesterday.  Genetically and stylistically speaking, I sound exactly like she did then.  In fact, I pocket dialed my parents once not too long ago and inadvertantly left a message on their machine of my singing a hymn in the car.  My mom called in tears telling me how it was like hearing Gramma singing to her from Heaven with the voice she had so long ago.  I didn't ever want to sing for a career because I have asthma, and I can't always count on being able to sing, but I do love it, and now that my grandmother is gone, I can be close to her any time I want, all I have to do is sing.

GL with the yoga, I know you can take it as far as you want, and I do think it's something that is its own reward from what I can tell.

ETA:  If I hadn't had that experience, now that I don't have to work and could take voice lessons, I probably would consider spending the money to do it just for fun.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

That's quite a story, Kar, and thank you.   This is really what I was driving at, too.  Your gift is its own reward -- you'll always have it.  That alone is enough.

And thanks re: taking it to the limit.  Same thing, its own reward.  The certification training is expensive, but I feel it will be worth every sweaty penny.  :)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Thanks. :)

I think people might have the money, even in this economy, but what about the daily time commitment of something like this?  Vacations are one thing, but committing time to go to a lesson and then practicing an hour a day (any less isn't worth it) is something I think is a luxury today.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

That's so cool about your singing gigs, Slim (BW), I admire your getting out there in spite of the nerves (which I never was able to stave off).  

About sharing, though, the joy of it, sadly, wore off for me.  I've sung in choirs and have been a soloist since I was seven when I sang "Morning Has Broken" in church (hey, it was 1979) a cappella.  I couldn't be paid to join a choir at this point.  Call me selfish, but I enjoying singing in my own seat in church and to the dog in the car these days.  I've been known to do karaoke now and again, but mostly I'm the anonymous professional-sounding soprano in church.  One way I'd be happy to share again, though, is to teach another person voice lessons.  I did it once, and she was so happy with the result, I'll never forget the first moment she "got it" - she stunned herself so much she stopped singing; I had to give her a quick, "Keep it going! Keep it going!!!"  And, she did.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Training and Lessons, Enrichment and Joy :):
    [QUOTE]Thanks. :) I think people might have the money, even in this economy, but what about the daily time commitment of something like this?  Vacations are one thing, but committing time to go to a lesson and then practicing an hour a day (any less isn't worth it) is something I think is a luxury today.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]In Response to Re: Training and Lessons, Enrichment and Joy :):
    [QUOTE]Thanks. :) I think people might have the money, even in this economy, but what about the daily time commitment of something like this?  Vacations are one thing, but committing time to go to a lesson and then practicing an hour a day (any less isn't worth it) is something I think is a luxury today.
    Posted by kargiver[/QUOTE]The training is on the weekends in most programs.  Some have a whirlwind program of 3-4 weeks with the 200 hours in consecutive days; that would require a different lifestyle than mine (I don't feel you learn as much when you compress the 200 hours, but that's just my opinion).  Other programs offer the classes over a course of many months, on weekends only.  Depends on the pattern that is offered (one weekend a month, for example, both days, all day) -- where I fit in.  This is why it takes time to decide.  :D  I have a "day job" and career, and I believe lots of other people who commit to this type of training do, too.  It's not easy and very rare to make a full living this way.  Most of the yoga masters are not that young -- it takes many years to reach a level of mastery and go on to the bigtime (I don't aspire to anything quite on that level -- I think big, but not that big).  :)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Music lessons (and I don't know about yoga) require quite a big daily practice requirement or the lessons, which are a small part of the time commitment, don't pay off.  It can be done, I think, but in families where both parents work and commute might not be able to fit an hour in every day to pursue a passion.  People don't tend to build time for pursuing passions into their lives anymore imo.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I picked up the guitar in the late 70's, for the same reasons that other guys my age did: to look cool and assist us in our efforts to pick up chicks.   
    One of my buddies (I play in two separate duos) wants to raise the bar and get paid doing it.  And we're talking big bucks: at least enough to cover our bar tab, which when we get together has been known to be substantial.  We have about 20 tunes we do together, and each of us individually could easily add another 20 solo numbers each. Posted by SlimPickensIII
    -------------
    Slim, nice story.  It really is true that men use a guitar as a babe magnet, isn't it?  Funny, but I never had a crush on my guitar teacher.  I did, however, admire his skills and he was a great mentor (too bad I never got anywhere!  ha ha)  

But really, I admire how far you've taken your musical interests and training over the years, and all with a day job, I presume?   I have to agree that there is a certain level of joy that comes from sharing a skill, and that's why I am very excited at the prospect of potentially having the ability to train other students in yoga.  Seriously.  

One thing I hesitate to mention, but one of the most ethereal and beautiful teachers I have had, also sang to us at the end of our sessions, during savasana (that's sanskrit for corpse pose  ha ha)  anyhow, she sang to us instead of keeping the recorded music on, and it was amazing.  It's certainly part of the whole gestalt to incorporate music into the practice, and that's also been part of what I've enjoyed. 

So anyhow, thanks, it sounds like making enough to pay your bar tab would be hitting pay dirt.  Nice.  :D

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

I had a crush on mine. Embarassed

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

slim, i've been in the bar covers circuit for years now, and it's great to keep adding songs to your repetoire...you'll be surprised how many you will amass very quickly! there's no shame in bringing a songbook up there with you at first, especially if you're playing smaller places. i still go to open mics regularly, it's a great way to cut your teeth with new material.

good to hear that you get out there and do your thing!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I tried to play piano, then later guitar. I found my artistic abilities do not lie in music. I love listening to the finished product but I lack the proper patience and work ethic in that area to ever become any good.

My artistic ability is with a pencil and paper, I love drawing....never made a career out of it, though. I did , however, impress the editor of a large east coast city newspaper enough that he printed 2 of my cartoons in his paper...grand total of about $100, I think....enough to pay for the materials and postage on all the political cartoons he rejected.

I was very likely listening to music as I was drawing. I have always found it calming to draw or paint with music. But I need a job that pays the bills. If I had my way and didn't need the money...well, let's not go there.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

I took enough lessons on piano to be able to read music, and I took a few guitar and bass lessons, and the best thing I learned was that I'm a much better listener than player.

That said, I am thankful every day for my fine arts degree.  It may not have immediate monetary value, but the sense of aesthetics, critical philosophy and accomplishment it gave me are still in use.  Even now, in IT, unconventional thinking is an asset, not a liability.  (I wish more business people took creative arts classes.) 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

I took 2 years of voice lessons when I was living in NYC.  And I definitely did it for me, and not with any anticipation of making a living at it or even doing it in front of an audience. 

I did think about singing at my wedding, but I felt it was a stressful enough day without adding singing for the very first time in front of 75 of my closest friends & family -- probably wise I opted not to sing, though I did have a song picked out.  (The Sweetest Thing)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnjoyEverySandwich. Show EnjoyEverySandwich's posts

[QUOTE]I took enough lessons on piano to be able to read music, and I took a few guitar and bass lessons, and the best thing I learned was that I'm a much better listener than player. That said, I am thankful every day for my fine arts degree.  It may not have immediate monetary value, but the sense of aesthetics, critical philosophy and accomplishment it gave me are still in use.  Even now, in IT, unconventional thinking is an asset, not a liability.  (I wish more business people took creative arts classes.) 
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

Matty:  I once sealed a job offer by mentioning that I took voice -- the interviewer told me he always leaned towards hiring musicians for IT jobs (yes, I was once a gearhead) because of the link between math ability and music.  He said every "musical" hire he'd made had turned out well.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

EES, I also considered singing at my wedding (same size as yours), but thought better of it for the same reasons you did.  My mom sang, instead, and I'm so glad.  It was a very special way to have her participate and she did really beautifully, as always.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I know loads of people who have taken voice lessons for themselves, never with the intention of making a living at it.  But I also have several friends who are soloists, and my cousin also was a church soloist, and got paid ... never took a voice lesson in her life.  A natural songbird and a beautful soul, inside and out.

I also know a couple of people who now play professionally with orchestras -- but it's not enough $$ to make a living at, but at least they are pursuing their musical goals.  

As I come closer to what I aspire to do as a yoga instructor, there's no telling whether I will decide to sing at the end of a class.  I have a pretty nice voice, and who knows?  It would really enhance my practice.   Maybe it will all fit together.  As I get closer, I get very excited about the endeavor; none of my personal friends from classes have ever taken the training, I'd be the first.

I have a friend from a class in fact, who doesn't know a thing about my screen name, who started calling me Yogafriend a few months ago.  She's told me a number of times how graceful she thinks I am  -- and was someone who seems to think I'd be a great instructor, which I thought was very nice of her.  :)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from kargiver. Show kargiver's posts

Yoga, your passion for everything you do, attention to detail, and compassion and empathy make you a great teacher whether you teach a formal class someday or not.  Your friend was right!