Tribute Albums - yes, no, meh-be? Hit or miss or pointless?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Tribute Albums - yes, no, meh-be? Hit or miss or pointless?

How do you feel about tribute albums?   I would define a tribute album as an album of covers by various artists paying tribute to a specific band / artist.

Did anyone you know buy into "Instant Karma, 2002, A Tribute to John Lennon" -- for example?    Or "Deadicated -- A Tribute to the Grateful Dead (1991) ?  Or the tribute to Joni Mitchell (the JM tribute's hidden gem seems to be Prince's cover of "A Case of You") -- or the Bob Dylan tribute album that was released last year?   These are just a few titles in a pool of hundreds.  

Do you own any tribute albums or automatically dismiss the idea of buying one?  Any that you own that were hits?   Any duds?

Thoughts, anyone?

NOTE: Let's leave tribute bands out of the equation for this thread --  save them for another day / thread.   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Tribute Albums - yes, no, meh-be? Hit or miss or pointless?

Last year's Rave On...a tribute album to Buddy Holly...was pretty damm good.  But one could argue there's a timelessness to that music that's kind of hard to screw up.

Also liked the I'm Not There soundtrack which were all Dylan covers...some more successful than others...but which also included several obscure and album tracks which were given new life.

I really tried to like Encomium (Led Zep tribute), but the weak tracks (Hootie!) far outnumbered the good ones (Blind Melon), IMO.

This last point might sound familiar.  It may be hard to get a really good, consistent album from such an intentionally diverse yet constrained lineup.  It always makes me wonder which covers they didn't even consider.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Loved "Sweet Relief, a tribute album to Victoria Williams, with Pearl Jam's best cover "Crazy Mary," There were some really nice songs on there. Also, an album we have discussed on here before, "If I were a Carpenter," which is a nice one, and features some wonderful renditions of the duo's songs by mostly indie artists. :Dedicated was also quite good, especially the Indigo's version of Uncle Johns Band. I also agree with Rave On. I will have to check out the Joni Mitchell tribute as well.

These albums are the exception though (IMO), most tribute albums are not that great.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Interesting you brought this up Yoga.I just watched a Neil Young tribute concert on Palladia from 2010.It was put on because he won the "Music Cares" Person of the year award.They're planning on releasing the concert DVD for sale at the end of the month.Personally,I didn't really care for it and as they showed Neil in the audience,to me,it looked like he was thinking"What the hell are they doing to my music?".
        Maybe I'm just spoiled by the original version and used to the songs being done the way they're supposed to be done.I guess the were a couple of performances that were decent,but for the most part,tribute albums like this just aren't my thing.
    Here's a list of the songs and artists who covered them:

A MusiCares Tribute to Neil Young Program Listing
    01. Rockin’ In The Free World – Keith Urban/John Fogerty/Booker T. Jones
    02. Only Love Can Break Your Heart – Lady Antebellum
    03. The Needle & The Damage Done – Dave Matthews
    04. Tell Me Why – Norah Jones
    05. Cinnamon Girl – Dierks Bentley/Booker T. Jones
    06. Harvest Moon – Josh Groban
    07. Ohio – Ben Harper
    08. Don’t Let It Bring You Down – Jackson Browne
    09. Broken Arrow – Wilco
    10. Lotta Love – Jason Mraz/Shawn Colvin
    11. (When You’re On) The Losing End – Elvis Costello
    12. Heart Of Gold – James Taylor
    13. Down By The River – John Mellencamp/T Bone Burnett
    14. Human Highway – Crosby, Stills & Nash
    15. Helpless – Elton John/Leon Russell/Neko Case/Sheryl Crow

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

The 'If I Were A Carpenter' one mentioned above is great.

Never cared much for the Carpenters but there are some interesting takes on their music on this CD.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

It doesn't get much better than "Mermaid Avenue" -- a tribute to Woody Guthrie, sung by Billy Bragg and Wilco.   

The distinctive feature is that the lyrics were written by Guthrie, but the music was written, arranged and sung for the first time by Bragg and Wilco.   Guthrie apparently left a countless number of song lyrics behind at the time of his death, and his daughter wanted to bring some of them to life, and chose Billy Bragg to help with that endeavor.  It's sublime.

"Stone Free": a tribute to Jimi Hendrix -- I have a copy, if you can believe it, as it was given to me as a gift.  I happen to dislike the Cure's version of "Purple Haze", but some people think it's brilliant.   

(ha ha on Hootie, Matty -- no surprise there :P )

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Tribute Albums - yes, no, meh-be? Hit or miss or pointless?:
    [QUOTE]     Interesting you brought this up Yoga.I just watched a Neil Young tribute concert on Palladia from 2010.It was put on because he won the "Music Cares" Person of the year award.They're planning on releasing the concert DVD for sale at the end of the month.Personally,I didn't really care for it and as they showed Neil in the audience,to me,it looked like he was thinking"What the hell are they doing to my music?".     Maybe I'm just spoiled by the original version and used to the songs being done the way they're supposed to be done.I guess the were a couple of performances that were decent,but for the most part,tribute albums like this just aren't my thing. Here's a list of the songs and artists who covered them: A MusiCares Tribute to Neil Young Program Listing 01. Rockin’ In The Free World – Keith Urban/John Fogerty/Booker T. Jones 02. Only Love Can Break Your Heart – Lady Antebellum 03. The Needle & The Damage Done – Dave Matthews 04. Tell Me Why – Norah Jones 05. Cinnamon Girl – Dierks Bentley/Booker T. Jones 06. Harvest Moon – Josh Groban 07. Ohio – Ben Harper 08. Don’t Let It Bring You Down – Jackson Browne 09. Broken Arrow – Wilco 10. Lotta Love – Jason Mraz/Shawn Colvin 11. (When You’re On) The Losing End – Elvis Costello 12. Heart Of Gold – James Taylor 13. Down By The River – John Mellencamp/T Bone Burnett 14. Human Highway – Crosby, Stills & Nash 15. Helpless – Elton John/Leon Russell/Neko Case/Sheryl Crow  
    Posted by mrmojo1120[/QUOTE]

There are more than a few reasons to think Neil Young was grimacing while his songs were being performed by this bunch ... I mean, Josh Groban?  Jason Mraz?  Wilco must have done a nice job, though, if that helps to redeem the situation.

The trouble with tributes is just as you said -- if the originals are air-tight and perfect, it's hard for a true fan to have much interest in hearing another musician come along and potentially ruin the songs.

The number of tribute albums is staggering, almost laughable.  I saw a tribute to the Jonas Brothers, if you can believe it.  :D

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]It doesn't get much better than "Mermaid Avenue" -- a tribute to Woody Guthrie, sung by Billy Bragg and Wilco.    The distinctive feature is that lyrics were written by Guthrie, but the music was written, arranged and sung for the first time by Bragg and Wilco.   Guthrie apparently left a countless number of song lyrics behind at the time of his death, and his daughter wanted to bring some of them to life, and chose Billy Bragg to help with that endeavor.  It's sumblime. "Stone Free": a tribute to Jimi Hendrix -- I have a copy, if you can believe it, as it was given to me as a gift.  I happen to dislike the Cure's version of "Purple Haze", but some people think it's brilliant.    (ha ha on Hootie, Matty -- no surprise there :P )
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

FWIW, there's also been yet another Woody tribute, with lyrics put to new music, by the New Multitudes...

...aka Jay Farrar (Uncle Tupelo, Son Volt), Jim James (MMJ), Anders Parker and Will Johnson...

...great stuff.  If you like Mermaid Ave., you may like this too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

One of my facorite country albums is a tribute album, and is called "A Picture of Hank". It's a bunch of bluegrass artists playing Hank Williams songs. I can honestly say that I never really heard I Can't Get You Off My Mind until I heard Claire Lynch sing it.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

In Response to Tribute Albums - yes, no, meh-be? Hit or miss or pointless?:
    [QUOTE]How do you feel about tribute albums?   I would define a tribute album as an album of covers by various artists paying tribute to a specific band / artist. Did anyone you know buy into "Instant Karma, 2002, A Tribute to John Lennon" -- for example?    Or "Deadicated -- A Tribute to the Grateful Dead (1991) ?  Or the tribute to Joni Mitchell (the JM tribute's hidden gem seems to be Prince's cover of "A Case of You") -- or the Bob Dylan tribute album that was released last year?   These are just a few titles in a pool of hundreds.   Do you own any tribute albums or automatically dismiss the idea of buying one?  Any that you own that were hits?   Any duds? Thoughts, anyone? NOTE: Let's leave tribute bands out of the equation for this thread --  save them for another day / thread.   
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Tribute BANDS!?  I would much rather go to the first gig of a 12-year old band at their Junior High School prom than see a "tribute" band.  It's barely a tribute at all, is it, if the motives are examined.  I think it's "music", or "gigs" for people that don't really love music and gigs.

Tribute albums are pretty dodgy, IMO, but there have been some good ones in concept, sound and motivation.  But most of them are awful, IMO.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]One of my facorite country albums is a tribute album, and is called "A Picture of Hank". It's a bunch of bluegrass artists playing Hank Williams songs. I can honestly say that I never really heard I Can't Get You Off My Mind until I heard Claire Lynch sing it.
    Posted by carnie[/QUOTE]

I had never given Hank Sr. a chance until about five years ago. Was stunned at how good his stuff was. He left us way too soon. Hard to believe Hank Jr. actually has his genes.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from carnie. Show carnie's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tribute Albums - yes, no, meh-be? Hit or miss or pointless? : I had never given Hank Sr. a chance until about five years ago. Was stunned at how good his stuff was. He left us way too soon. Hard to believe Hank Jr. actually has his genes.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]Hank III is quite good though. I think the song writing genes might have skipped a generation. It's hard to believe Hank was only 28 when he died.