Trivia question, do you know this song?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Trivia question, do you know this song?

Written in 1962 by a not very famous folk singer a cover version of this song has appeared on albums by at least 7 Rock artists in the last 40 or so years.

A post-apocalyptic tune inspired by the novel 'On The Beach' by Nevil Shute, this song was covered by a hippie band that played Woodstock, a former Yardbird, a Hard Rock/Metal style band, a solo artist that was once the front man of one the 70's mega groups, a New Wave band, and two Southern Rock bands ( one it's earlier phase , not yet known by the name they would become famous as).

The title is two words. I am not sure if there are enough clues here, but I feel I am one clue away from giving it away. I have never heard the original, and I would be surprised if any of you have heard it either. But, I'll bet many of you have heard at least one of the cover versions.

Do you know the song ?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Re: Trivia question, do you know this song?

Morning Dew? It is my all time favorite Dead song, and I have read a lot about it. Allman's version was great as well. There are several videos of the song with scenes from the movie "On the Beach," the best being the Dead's great live version from Europe 72, so I'm pretty sure, but not 100%.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkjband. Show jkjband's posts

Get Together - Chet Powers

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Trivia question, do you know this song?:
    [QUOTE]Morning Dew? It is my all time favorite Dead song, and I have read a lot about it. Allman's version was great as well. There are several videos of the song with scenes from the movie "On the Beach," the best being the Dead's great live version from Europe 72, so I'm pretty sure, but not 100%.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

Very good!

I thought I was being evasive enough to at least stump the panel for a day.

Apparently not , and I should not be surprised.

Written in 1962 by Bonnie Dobson ( who?....exactly!)

Recorded at one point or another by The Grateful Dead, Jeff Beck, Nazareth, Robert Plant, Devo, Blackfoot and an early formation of the Allman Brothers known then as the 31st of February, among others.

I agree that the Dead's version is very good, but I would say Nazareth does a great job with this song also.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from law2009a. Show law2009a's posts

m

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE] I agree that the Dead's version is very good, but I would say Nazareth does a great job with this song also.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

By some counts, the Grateful Dead performed this song live almost 200 times...

...a well-beloved tune by band and audience, indeed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trivia question, do you know this song? : By some counts, the Grateful Dead performed this song live almost 200 times... ...a well-beloved tune by band and audience, indeed.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I'd believe that.

At one point , our friend jessey started a thread asking which band would be considered the greatest American Rock band of all time. I really believe the Grateful Dead should hold this title. They have an impressive catalogue, many well known songs, were considered a tremendous live act,influenced many other bands, and Jerry Garcia has an ice cream flavor named after him....what more could you ask?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Trivia question, do you know this song? : I'd believe that. At one point , our friend jessey started a thread asking which band would be considered the greatest American Rock band of all time. I really believe the Grateful Dead should hold this title. They have an impressive catalogue, many well known songs, were considered a tremendous live act,influenced many other bands, and Jerry Garcia has an ice cream flavor named after him....what more could you ask?
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

I think your onto something. Their body of work alone is worthy of the title, and the almost messiah like worship some have for Garcia and the remaining members of the Dead is unique. As a live act they were hit/miss, but they had their moments, and many of them are captured for all time.  Europe 72, has to be considered one of the greatest live albums, and despite some posters aversion to seeing 20 minute jams, that's what set them apart. As musicians they were not the best, but Working Men (I had to), and Garcia as a guitar player has to be amongst the finest.

I cannot recall how many young kids get turned onto the Dead by looking thru their parents albums, or a sibling and say holy -Sh***t, what is this!