Troggs frontman Reg Presley: RIP at 71

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Troggs frontman Reg Presley: RIP at 71

Reg Presley, singer with 'Wild Thing' hitmakers The Troggs, has died at the age of 71. 

Presley died at his home in Andover, Hampshire – the town of his birth – from cancer yesterday (February 4), in the company of his family. He was diagnosed with lung cancer in December 2012 during a tour of Germany, and is reported to have had a number of strokes before the diagnosis, according to messages posted by music publicist and close friend Keith Altham. 

Last month (January 24), Presley posted a statement to fans on the band's website, in which he announced his retirement from music due to failing health. "I am receiving chemotherapy treatment and at the moment not feeling too bad. However I've had to call time on The Troggs and retire. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you all for the cards and calls and for your love, loyalty and support over the years… I shall miss you all. Lots of Love."

Presley – born Reginald Maurice Ball – formed The Troggs in 1964. The band were signed by Kinks manager Larry Page the following year. Their signature song, 'Wild Thing', reached Number Two in the charts in 1966, though the lesser-known follow-up, 'With A Girl Like You', gave them their first and only UK Number One. Though they split in 1969, The Troggs soon reunited and remained a group until Presley's announcement last month. Despite this, life within the band was not always rosy – the notorious 'Troggs Tapes', an expletive-ridden recording of the band arguing in the studio, put the Gallagher brothers' similar 'Wibbling Rivalry' to shame. 

In 1994, Wet Wet Wet's cover of Presley's 1967 song 'Love Is All Around' (for the Four Weddings And A Funeral soundtrack) gave them the second longest-running UK Number One to date, remaining on the top spot for 15 consecutive weeks. Presley is reported to have used the royalties from the single to pursue his interest in crop circles and UFOs. The paranormal was a great passion of Presley's – he published a book on the subject titled Wild Things They Don't Tell Us in 2002. Presley also had a sideline in acting, appearing in TV's Inspector Wexford.

Presley's pop-meets-garage rock sound is said to have been an influence on artists as diverse as The Ramones, Iggy Pop, REM and Jimi Hendrix, who covered 'Wild Thing' at 1967's Monterey Pop Festival. On Twitter, former Rolling Stones manager Andrew Loog Oldham wrote, "R.I.P. Reg Presley of The Troggs. A long time served in the rock trenches. Always innovative."

Read more at http://www.nme.com/news/the-troggs/68538#8GsivJMqFR2kZLBx.99 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Troggs frontman Reg Presley: RIP at 71

"Wild Thing" was maybe better known, but "With A Girl Like You" and "Lost Girl" wer their best songs, IMO...

...both of which I found accidentally on brit compilations and sparked my interest in 60s garage rock/psychedelic nuggets.

Some 'one-hit wonders' defy the label....

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

"Despite this, life within the band was not always rosy the notorious 'Troggs Tapes', an expletive-ridden recording of the band arguing in the studio, put the Gallagher brothers' similar 'Wibbling Rivalry' to shame." 

Here's a link to that classic tape. A glimpse at the creative process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXfK9Osmvs

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Years ago - Smile's first Imperial College Gig was supporting Pink Floyd. There was also another band on the bill, believed to be The Troggs.

Slighty conflicting accounts below

EXTRACT frrom artilcle:
    QUEENPEDI
    SMILE - HISTORY
    Adapted from article by Andy Davis / John S Stuart

As a newly chic power band, Smile played their inauspicious debut at Imperial on 26th October 1968, at someone else's auspicious gig: opening for Pink Floyd, who'd recently charted with “See Emily Play”. Smile were billed as one of two “supporting groups”, and were somewhat taken aback by these psychedelic pioneers. “They were strange” recalls Tim Staffell. “That wasn't something I could easily relate to. They were extremely English”. Like their predecessors 1984 and the Reaction, Smile was essentially a covers band. They had few compositions of their own, and were content to reconstruct existing material to suit their own developing tastes.

Chris Smith’s recollections of the same events however, are somewhat different; “I remember our first gig at Imperial College… we didn’t support Pink Floyd, but the Troggs”. (The Troggs by this time were a household name and had charted in the UK with tracks like “Give It To Me”, “Night Of The Long Grass”, “Hi Hi Hazel”, and “Little Girl”. Four of their singles - “Wild Thing”, “I Can’t Control Myself”, “Anyway You Want Me”, and “Love Is All Around” – had scored top ten hits, while the massive “Girl Like You” claimed the coveted number one spot for two weeks in August 1966). Smith continues; “I opened our set with Bach’s “Toccata and Fugue in D minor”, rushing straight into “Can’t Be So Bad” by Moby Grape at Break-neck speed”. Read more HERE

GARY TAYLOR writes:

It looks like they could both be correct.

It was indeed Smile's first gig on 26th October 1968 and they were supporting Pink Floyd. The other band on the bill were more than likely The Troggs.

.................Smile would later become Queen!

Imperial College poster

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

"Despite this, life within the band was not always rosy the notorious 'Troggs Tapes', an expletive-ridden recording of the band arguing in the studio, put the Gallagher brothers' similar 'Wibbling Rivalry' to shame." 

Here's a link to that classic tape. A glimpse at the creative process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrXfK9Osmvs

Thanks.

Nice and spicey.   There are many comments referencing "Spinal Tap" -- but this is better -- since it's for real.  Bloody brilliant.   :)