Tuesday's Retro-ID

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Tuesday's Retro-ID

The musical odyssey of this American band under their original and existing name began ca. 1969.   If you know anything about the sound of breaking beer glasses, you might know something about them.  Two of the founding and core members are still with the band; the two same founding members were prior members of a once high-profile 60's band.   They've remained loyal to blues, jazz, bluegrass and folk influences.  They became famous for playing 3-6 hour sets.  They've churned out more albums than you may realize, 2 dozen in all, and that's not including solo work, projects, and appearances in music of other artists or compilations.  

While every other band of this era seems to be having a reunion tour, this band never broke up.

Name this band.  :)  (hope not too many clues)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Re: Tuesday's Retro-ID

Off the top of my head, I am going to guess Hot Tuna.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i would say blue oyster cult because some of it makes sense, but they're not blues/jazz/bluegrass/folk. so

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

oh man, if it's hot tuna that's so funny. i put my friend's name in wikipedia as a mandolin player during the late 70s in hot tuna and it remained on their page for over a year!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Tuesday's Retro-ID:
    [QUOTE]Off the top of my head, I am going to guess Hot Tuna.
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]
    Welcome back, JE!  You're baaaack.  Hot Tuna it is.   They have a pretty interesting history, too, since we've talked about the downward spiral of Jefferson Airplane a few times (a sad lament); then you see that Hot Tuna prevailed, intact, all these years.  

Anyhow, you've been missed and it's great to see you back.  Nice.  Did anything in particular give it away?  Do you know what I meant about the sound of breaking beer glasses as a point of reference?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

[QUOTE]oh man, if it's hot tuna that's so funny. i put my friend's name in wikipedia as a mandolin player during the late 70s in hot tuna and it remained on their page for over a year!
    Posted by phsmith8[/QUOTE]That's interesting.  Our mental paths just seem to keep crossing -- not sure if that's a good thing or not.  No comment.   

Your guess was inspired actually, but JE gets props today.  :D

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

PH - I can't see it being anyone else.

Answers to clues: 2 founding & remaining members being part of a high profile 60's group:

Jefferson Airplane: Bassist Jack Casady and Guitarist Jorma Kaukonen

When I saw them, they put on a show for close to 4 hours.

22 Official American releases plus
  8. Trimmed & Burning (1995) (UK release)
  9. In a Can (compilation)
  10. In the late 70's they released "The Last Interview?"

if it is not Hot Tuna, I am traveling north, finding Yogi and taking her out to the most magnificent restaurant I can find. Gee, I hope I am wrong.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Brilliant, JE.   Every single fact checks out from their history.  

Sorry, but you're right.  Too bad, b/c I'd love to be wined and dined.  :D

Maybe ph and I can go out instead; we can meet down in Newport.  :) 

• You have chosen to ignore posts from phsmith8. Show phsmith8's posts

i'll take a consolation dinner for sure - if we split the check ;) ha!

newport's only a shout away!

• You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

It has been a rough 6 weeks and hopefully things will calm down. Unfortunately, being on the 19th floor of a glass tower today didn't really help matters along. Earthquakes need to stay in foreign countries like China or California. Don't need them on the East Coast.

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Tuesday's Retro-ID : Welcome back, JE!  You're baaaack.  Hot Tuna it is.   They have a pretty interesting history, too, since we've talked about the downward spiral of Jefferson Airplane a few times (a sad lament); then you see that Hot Tuna prevailed, intact, all these years.   Anyhow, you've been missed and it's great to see you back.  Nice.  Did anything in particular give it away?  Do you know what I meant about the sound of breaking beer glasses as a point of reference?
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Actually, all I needed was two founding members were in a high profile 60's group. It couldn't have been anyone else. Besides, I am a HT fan.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from AGUY1. Show AGUY1's posts

I was thinking it could have been Crosby Stills and Nash.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

They were outstanding playing an electric set at Mountain Jam earlier this summer...

...and at a very small gig in Newburyport a few years back.

Jorma is playing solo up in Salisbury a few weeks from now.

• You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

This is so funny; they are still so "current" and have lasted over the long haul, intact, no less, and have a true legendary history.  

I chose between Hot Tuna and Canned Heat (don't laugh) and went with HT because, strangely enough, they strike me as having class (in my mind, anyhow, don't ask me why).  

I'd be surprised if Zilla wouldn't have known this one.

Nice PSA, Matty.   

Still want to wine and dine you.