Turn on, tune in: Summer of Love drug inspired poster art

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Turn on, tune in: Summer of Love drug inspired poster art

If you're going to be in the Northampton area over the summer, you might want to check out this exhibit at Smith College's Museum of Art.   It's called "Summer of Love: Psychedelic Posters"  (who can resist that?), an exhibit of poster art from those memorable days of yore (you do remember, don't you?)  in the late 1960's.

"Smartly described by exhibition organizers as a "visual social media of their time", they are certainly better to look at than your average Facebook wall."   LOVE IT.   

The posters in their day were used to advertise rock concerts, art shows, "be-ins" and yes, tripping, or the legalization of so-called "consciousness-expanding drugs"  -- as well as other youth-orieted happenings.    Some of the posters are even displayed under black light -- got it?!    

What makes the posters so special is that they "contrast starkly with the austere, downbeat, visuals, let's say, of the so-called 3rd Summer of Love in the UK in 1990 -- a season that launched the face of Kate Moss."   Ecstasy replaced acid, idealism, and the idealism of the '60's was no where in sight.    Most of the posters were designed by designers in the SF Bay Area.   Art Nouveau to comic book art by people like Rick Griffin, Alton Kelley, Stanley Mouse, and Wes Wilson.  

Opens June 14th.  Nothing on the museum website yet, other than the announcement. 

Slide

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Re: Turn on, tune in: Summer of Love drug inspired poster art

BTW, another little gem in this category will open at the MFA on July and run through November.   

"Hippie Chic" is an exhibition exploring counter culture fashion in the late 60's and early 70's.  

Both shows would be the full experience, wouldn't it?    Get in the spirit?   Drag out the old tie-dyed tee shirts (or maybe a new one -- they are a fashion classic.   The article suggests squeezing into some flared pants and a tight paisley shirt.   

Rose tinted glasses a la John Lennon.   Let's face it.   Don't you feel dull in comparison to the way they used to dress back then?     

Any commets?   Music or fashion-wise?    I will be at this exhibit, that's for sure.   :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Victor Moscoso (1967).

Victor Moscoso - ca. 1967

Rick Griffin (1967).

Rick Griffin - ca. 1967

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I was just a 9 year old kid and had no idea that there was a "summer of love" going on....I was trying to figure out what fun I could have between the 4th and 5th grade. I did a pretty good job, between playing baseball , swimming in the pool and riding my bike. So, for me, it probably was a "summer of love", I was "loving" being out of school for 10 weeks!

What is ironic about the so-called "Summer Of Love" ( and don't get me wrong I really , really love psychedelic music of the 60's.....just don't agree with the casual sex , drugs , be-ins, love-ins, sit-ins and all the all the other protests that go along with it, and never really did any good - except maybe gain anti-war sentiment among young people ...which was good - see note below), is that it was followed by one of the most violent, turbulent years in U.S. history-1968.

I give you an excerpt to the lyrics to Blue Oyster Cult's "This Ain't The Summer Of Love"

This ain't the garden of eden

There ain't no angels above

Things ain't what they used to be

And this ain't the summer of love, this ain't , this ain't, this ain't the summer of love."

( note- we just celebrated the 40 year anniversary of the end of U.S. involvment in Vietnam - March 29, 1973.....5 years after much the most violent protesting began)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

What is ironic about the so-called "Summer Of Love" ( and don't get me wrong I really , really love psychedelic music of the 60's.....just don't agree with the casual sex , drugs , be-ins, love-ins, sit-ins and all the all the other protests that go along with it, and never really did any good - except maybe gain anti-war sentiment among young people ...which was good - see note below), is that it was followed by one of the most violent, turbulent years in U.S. history-1968.

I give you an excerpt to the lyrics to Blue Oyster Cult's "This Ain't The Summer Of Love"

This ain't the garden of eden

There ain't no angels above

Things ain't what they used to be

And this ain't the summer of love, this ain't , this ain't, this ain't the summer of love."

( note- we just celebrated the 40 year anniversary of the end of U.S. involvment in Vietnam - March 29, 1973.....5 years after much the most violent protesting began)

Excellent comment.    The times have changed so much in our "modern" history.   They didn't know then, what we know now -- and yet, look at the world and it seems that the more things change, the more they stay the same.  

At least there was a sense of innocence then, something that is lost and gone forever -- or at least, of the same calibre.   The shockers in the news were taken more seriously, and there was no such thing as social media: just TV, radio, the newspaper and face to face.

I know we tend to romanticize how great the music was, too -- but heck -- it still fascinates. The article I read on the exhibition at Smith College had a cute comment on the way the college must trust the students to be able to see the posters as art, and not put the drug-infused messages into action.   I'm sure it's hard for an 18-year old to imagine the impact that posters and album cover art had at one time.   A world without Facebook must seem like prehistoric times (when the dinosaurs roamed the earth).   :)   

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

In response to yogafriend's comment:

BTW, another little gem in this category will open at the MFA on July and run through November.   

"Hippie Chic" is an exhibition exploring counter culture fashion in the late 60's and early 70's.  

Both shows would be the full experience, wouldn't it?    Get in the spirit?   Drag out the old tie-dyed tee shirts (or maybe a new one -- they are a fashion classic.   The article suggests squeezing into some flared pants and a tight paisley shirt.   

Rose tinted glasses a la John Lennon.   Let's face it.   Don't you feel dull in comparison to the way they used to dress back then?     

Any commets?   Music or fashion-wise?    I will be at this exhibit, that's for sure.   :)

Just curious...

...but it occurs to me that the current trend of black yoga pants may not be so similarly celebrated in 40-odd years.  (No offense intended.)

We have come to either despise color entirely or ignore it, IMHO.

The posters have always interested me; I have a couple of books of color plates from the era.  They're interesting because of the bold colors and eye-catching design, and yet most have a smaller, subversive element that you can only see up close.  They are supposed to be signs, but unreadable from a distance.

To that end, psychedelics birthed this as well as some Op Art and later on, even some of the hard-edged painters...not to mention fashion.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to MattyScornD's comment:

Just curious...

...but it occurs to me that the current trend of black yoga pants may not be so similarly celebrated in 40-odd years.  (No offense intended.)

The posters have always interested me; I have a couple of books of color plates from the era.  They're interesting because of the bold colors and eye-catching design, and yet most have a smaller, subversive element that you can only see up close.  They are supposed to be signs, but unreadable from a distance.

To that end, psychedelics birthed this as well as some Op Art and later on, even some of the hard-edged painters...not to mention fashion.

No offense taken whatsoever.  Funny to admit, I am one of the few people who wears colored yoga pants (green, brown, blue, grey ... ) and rarely wear my black pants.   But the truth is, most people wear black because it is the most slimming color.   And because ... it's the only color available in most stores.   No demand, no supply.   But why no demand?   

It's very had to say why color has gone out of favor in so many ways.   The desire to blend in?   As a symbol of the economic times?  The desire to "resell" and/or not have an item that is dated by virtue of the color?   (see: avocado and gold kitchens).   

Insofar as clothing goes, Americans in general, don't wear clothing as a "costume" the way they used to in the past, and that includes young people.   They don't tend to wear clothing that's a form of expression.   Just not the thing these days, at least not as loudly or widely as it was back in the 70's.    Hair color, however, has never been more popular.  :)

I'll plan on seeing "Hippie Chic" -- definitely.   I'll be there, wearing bright orange.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to WhatDoYouWantNow's comment:

In response to ZILLAGOD's comment:

the casual sex , drugs , be-ins, love-ins, sit-ins

That doesn't sound so bad....  

I don't know what his problem was, either.   I find it hard to knock something I haven't tried.    Cool

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

All you need is love.

Here's an interesting video from 1967.It's a guide to help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i979CTkj5k0

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Just curious...

No offense taken whatsoever.  Funny to admit, I am one of the few people who wears colored yoga pants (green, brown, blue, grey ... ) and rarely wear my black pants.   But the truth is, most people wear black because it is the most slimming color.   And because ... it's the only color available in most stores.   No demand, no supply.   But why no demand?   

It's very had to say why color has gone out of favor in so many ways.   The desire to blend in?   As a symbol of the economic times?  The desire to "resell" and/or not have an item that is dated by virtue of the color?   (see: avocado and gold kitchens).   

Insofar as clothing goes, Americans in general, don't wear clothing as a "costume" the way they used to in the past, and that includes young people.   They don't tend to wear clothing that's a form of expression.   Just not the thing these days, at least not as loudly or widely as it was back in the 70's.    Hair color, however, has never been more popular.  :)

I'll plan on seeing "Hippie Chic" -- definitely.   I'll be there, wearing bright orange.  

I'll wager that 12-odd years of war, natural disasters, political divisiveness and economic doldrums have had a big effect on lay fashion in a few ways:

...people don't want to attract undue attention; the grey-greens of soldiers uniforms are common, as is camo chic; color correlates strongly with mood usually...

...after 1968 when the establishment hit back HARD against peace, free love and diversity, that started to change, I think.  The cat was out of the proverbial bag, however, so it didn't go away entirely.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Elekktra. Show Elekktra's posts

It may have been at the Harvard Coop, a black light room containing lots iconic works by Warhol, Dali, and Peter Max, along with album cover-art and other notable artworks of the era.  The scent of patchouli was pervasive (and I still like it!).  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to mrmojo1120's comment:

All you need is love.

Here's an interesting video from 1967.It's a guide to help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i979CTkj5k0

Extra-nice poster.   

The video seems to require some variety of "mind enhancer", if you know what I mean.  ;)

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Just curious...

Do yoga pants come in plaid?

I only ask because I love plaid and have a running joke with my wife. One time on vacation we were in a town that was hosting a Highland Games. We saw a lot of guys wearing kilts and since then I have threatened to get a kilt for myself. My wife dreads that I might actually do it some day. At least she admits I have the legs for it. ;)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I'll wager that 12-odd years of war, natural disasters, political divisiveness and economic doldrums have had a big effect on lay fashion in a few ways:

...people don't want to attract undue attention; the grey-greens of soldiers uniforms are common, as is camo chic; color correlates strongly with mood usually...

...after 1968 when the establishment hit back HARD against peace, free love and diversity, that started to change, I think.  The cat was out of the proverbial bag, however, so it didn't go away entirely.

The more colors have gone drab and camouflaged in response to presenting a low-key appearance, the more beligerant and attention-seeking the general populace seems to be with regard to their social media habits, pronouncements, and presence.  Sad in a way.    It was more healthy to wear wild clothing and "let it all hang out", just like the posters portray.   I know there is a tendency to romanticize and sentimentalize this bygone era as it pertains to music, but looking at posters of this nature do portray a time in our cultural history that will never be repeated; to that end, they are worth the time of day.  

However, I'm not so sure that naming the MFA exhibit, "Hippie Chic"  is particularly accurate, and certainly not as honest as the Smith College museum's exhibition title; perhaps the marketing department made the decision for the MFA.  :P

PS  If I hear the word "iconic" one more time ...   

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:

Do yoga pants come in plaid?

I only ask because I love plaid and have a running joke with my wife. One time on vacation we were in a town that was hosting a Highland Games. We saw a lot of guys wearing kilts and since then I have threatened to get a kilt for myself. My wife dreads that I might actually do it some day. At least she admits I have the legs for it. ;)

Plaid yoga pants?  Now *that's* a concept.    Thanks for the laugh.  I was not expecting that -- I mean, really -- can you believe that I've never been asked that question?Laughing

Having never done yoga in Scotland, I can't answer that question definitively.  However, I've been to two huge yoga conferences, and with over a thousand yogis present, never witnessed anyone in plaid.  :P   

There are, however, many with lotus flowers, or sparkles, om symbols, etc., down one leg, or at the hem.   There's even such a thing as "yoga jewelry" -- there really is a market for that, too.   I have an infinity bracelet, simply because I am an eternal teenager and wanted one (and it wasn't expensive).  

As for kilts, they are sweet.   With your sense of humor, I think you could pull off wearing a kilt with no problem at all -- and well worth it, just to see the look on your wife's face.   Too bad you can't rent one ...  or maybe you can?   :)

Sections
Shortcuts