U2

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

U2

They're from Ireland.   It's March 17th, so why not have a short, sweet discussion about them?

Are you a fan?   Past or present?   If so, in your opinion, what are their best albums?  If you fell off the U2 fan wagon, what was the cutoff point?

Never a fan?   I own only one album (and it was a gift):  The Joshua Tree.  

List a few of your favorite songs, if indeed, you still like them. 

For some reason, U2 has been on my radar lately.   When I've watched some of their older videos on youtube, I can't help but be floored by the quality of Bono's voice when he was young(er).  He can still hit the notes ...  they tour, they sell out arenas, they show up.     

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Re: U2

They are one of the artists that people tend to have strong opinions, a somewhat polarizing band...I am guessing it has lots to do with Bono and his political leanings. A group that "breaks through" with a song like Sunday, Bloody, Sunday is going to be a group with a different conciousness than, say Journey or Aerosmith.

This tends to turn many people off along with Bono's personality.

It took me a while to appreciate them I wasn't a fan in the early years. My first U2 purchase was the double CD 'Rattle And Hum' which I bought after seeing the movie and hearing B.B.King and U2 perform 'When Love Comes To Town.'

This quickly became a favorite CD and I then bought 'Achtung Baby'which contains many under-rated U2 songs such as 'Acrobat.'

So, what ae my favorite U2 songs?

Obviously 'When Love Comes To Town' and 'Acrobat'

I love the cover of the Patti Smith song , 'Dancing Barefoot', which is only on the rarities and B-sides compilation disc.

Others, that I really like( a short list):

Bullet The Blue Sky

The Fly

In God's Country

New Year's Day

Pride ( In The Name Of Love)

Two Hearts Beat As One

Where The Streets Have No Name

With Or Without You

Angel Of Harlem

Zoo Station

Sunday Bloody Sunday ( overplayed , but still good)....I didn't originally like this one, it kind of grew on me....took many years though.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

I have two albums, 'Boy" and the live 'Under a Blood Red Sky'. I got these when I was younger and more open to trying music that was on the fringes of my normal taste. U2 never caught on with me. While I have enjoyed some of their songs, their style and attitude was a bit too serious for my tastes. Too much of that "save the world' thing going and not enough sense of humor or just good old rock 'n' roll. My all-time favorite song of theirs is "I Will Follow" from "Boy'. Check out their hair styles in this video. Totally 80's!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVDdwrbf-Gs

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

I own 3 albums:

Blood Red Sky

Rattle and Hum

Achtung Baby

Overall I take them one song at a time.  I think some of their songs are great and some are rubbish.  I think they're a little overrated but on the other hand I think they've been a pretty big contributor to rock/pop music.  Also I think you have to give them some credit for the positive vibe they have maintained all these years.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

They're still at it with the same four guys, so that's something to be admired.

There are quite a few U2 songs that I still like; I could easily make a double disc of favorites (see "A Sort Of Homecoming","All I Want Is You", "God Part II", . And there are a bunch more that I never really liked or have tired of considerably.  "New Year's Day" is played out for me; ditto "Pride".   

Such is the curse of longevity...that we can't miss them unless they go away for a little while.

I thought All You Can't Leave Behind was a return-to-form for them and though not perfect, it's the last album I thought was worth owning.  (To me, they were/are mostly a singles band anyway)

For me, the triple hit of Joshua Tree/Rattle & Hum**/Achtung Baby was their apex and what I end up comparing to everything else that's come since.  The former is their defining statement, I think, while the latter is my favorite to date.

I've seen them a couple of times in concert (notably the Zoo TV tour) but it's so arena-licious and such a spectacle that it comes off as rather plastic and unsatisfying.

(** warts & all)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

I agree with Matty's apex of U2 albums (The Joshua Tree, Rattle & Hum, and Achtung Baby), however I consider The Unforgettable Fire part of that apex as well. All of those albums are excellent and are probably must own albums. I will add The Unforgettable Fire amongst those very good U2 songs not already mentioned by others.

As for the other U2 albums after Achtung Baby, they are mostly train wrecks to me (good albums to sleep to and you won't need a sleeping pill), although How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb has a couple of songs I like (City Of Blinding Lights, Original Of The Species).

Finally, I am most grateful to U2 for being an inspiration to Coldplay in particular, and to a lesser extent Radiohead (a band I consider top 10 all-time). 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Saw  them at the Orpheum before they went big time and before it was cool to like them....Bono hung upside down by his legs from the balcony!

Great show!

...saw the Police there too...another great show, the bass shook the building

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Saw them on their first club tour of the US. Have to say that I was sure that I would be a life long fan after their first album. Even had a U2 pin on my leather jacket right next to my Clash & Motorhead pins. Actually loved their first 4 albums, liked most of what they have done since, but not everything. I certainly would not go out of my way to see them.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

U2 reminds me of walking the halls in my college dorm, they were the it band then, something fresh, cranking from most rooms as you walked passed. I like almost all of their earlier albums, for me they jumped the shark after Achtung Baby. That album to me is the line in the sand, I like most of what they did Actung Baby and before, and little of what they did after.

But there are a lot of great early songs that still grab my attention when they pop up.

I will Follow

Party Girl

Silver and Gold

And most of the old hits.

Where the Streets Have No Name to this day is one of my favorite rock intro's, sometimes I change the station after the intro is over. Love the quiet organ that just builds with each instrument kicking in one at a time.

The Edge is one of my favorite guitarist, he makes my top 10 list. I wouldn't put him on the list of 10 most talented, but he makes my list of the ones I most enjoy listening to.

Albums:

Rattle and Hum

Achtung Baby

Josha Tree

October

Saw them at the old Garden back in the 90's, great show! They couldn't turn the house lights off, Bono finally said F... it, and they began the show doing their first few songs that way until they fixed it.

Bono said at his Rock & Roll Hall of Fame speech, if U2 were to come out today, that their fame and succsess would not have been close to where they are today. A dig at the present structure of the music business, and a topic for another day.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to devildavid's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have two albums, 'Boy" and the live 'Under a Blood Red Sky'. I got these when I was younger and more open to trying music that was on the fringes of my normal taste. U2 never caught on with me. While I have enjoyed some of their songs, their style and attitude was a bit too serious for my tastes. Too much of that "save the world' thing going and not enough sense of humor or just good old rock 'n' roll. My all-time favorite song of theirs is "I Will Follow" from "Boy'. Check out their hair styles in this video. Totally 80's!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVDdwrbf-Gs

[/QUOTE]

The video almost looks fake.  Really?  I don't know what it is about them, because so many of the long-standing bands have aged, and when you look at old videos, they certainly look young, but for some reason, U2 and Bono in particular, take youthful looks to a whole different level.    He did have awesome hair, no question.  Cool. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to newman09's comment:
    [QUOTE]

U2 reminds me of walking the halls in my college dorm, they were the it band then, something fresh, cranking from most rooms as you walked passed. I like almost all of their earlier albums, for me they jumped the shark after Achtung Baby. That album to me is the line in the sand, I like most of what they did Actung Baby and before, and little of what they did after.

But there are a lot of great early songs that still grab my attention when they pop up.

I will Follow

Party Girl

Silver and Gold

And most of the old hits.

Where the Streets Have No Name to this day is one of my favorite rock intro's, sometimes I change the station after the intro is over. Love the quiet organ that just builds with each instrument kicking in one at a time.

The Edge is one of my favorite guitarist, he makes my top 10 list. I wouldn't put him on the list of 10 most talented, but he makes my list of the ones I most enjoy listening to.

Albums:

Rattle and Hum

Achtung Baby

Josha Tree

October

Saw them at the old Garden back in the 90's, great show! They couldn't turn the house lights off, Bono finally said F... it, and they began the show doing their first few songs that way until they fixed it.

Bono said at his Rock & Roll Hall of Fame speech, if U2 were to come out today, that their fame and succsess would not have been close to where they are today. I dig at the present structure of the music business, and a topic for another day.

[/QUOTE]

Great post, Newman.   

I have to echo that U2 is a great 'singles' band, was always radio-friendly, and I've liked many of their hits over the years, with the exceptions of the hits that have run their course with me (ie, "With or Without You").    However, they've just slipped under the radar for me otherwise.   Maybe I've taken them for granted?

Two of my favorite U2 songs are "One Tree Hill" and "Beautiful Day" which despite how often it is played, I've never grown tired of.   Also love "I Will Follow" as others have said.

Bono's politics don't phase me in the least.   In fact, their recent hit written for Mandela, "Ordinary Love" is a very nice tribute, IMO.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

i have no problem with Bono's politics and he does seem to practice what he preaches. I just have a problem with the serious, anthemic nature of much of U2's songs. I don't really enjoy that type of music. I contrast that with a peformer with similar politiacl leanings, Bruce Springsteen. He didn't start out political, but evolved into being moreso as his career went on. His musical style is not so anthemic as U2's, hewing more to a good time rock 'n' roll sound. Springsteen's music is often at odds with some of his serious lyrical content, as it is on 'Born In the USA' which I just listened to yesterday. With U2, the sound of the music has more of a serious edge to it, while with Springsteen you could be dancing to music about the economic and moral decay of the USA. U2's musical sound seems to announce that "this is serious stuff", while Springsteen almost candy coats his serious message with good time rock 'n' roll.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

[QUOTE]

i have no problem with Bono's politics and he does seem to practice what he preaches. I just have a problem with the serious, anthemic nature of much of U2's songs. I don't really enjoy that type of music. I contrast that with a peformer with similar politiacl leanings, Bruce Springsteen. He didn't start out political, but evolved into being moreso as his career went on. His musical style is not so anthemic as U2's, hewing more to a good time rock 'n' roll sound. Springsteen's music is often at odds with some of his serious lyrical content, as it is on 'Born In the USA' which I just listened to yesterday. With U2, the sound of the music has more of a serious edge to it, while with Springsteen you could be dancing to music about the economic and moral decay of the USA. U2's musical sound seems to announce that "this is serious stuff", while Springsteen almost candy coats his serious message with good time rock 'n' roll.

[/QUOTE]

Interesting post, dd.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from lefig. Show lefig's posts

Saw them at the Centrum on the War tour. Some of their stuff I really like a lot just doesn't grab me.

favorite songs

Zooropa

Ultraviolet Blue

One tree hill

Where the streets have no name

Two hearts beat as one

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

I'm a long time U2 fan.... I have most of their albums, some pirated...some European. They are without question my favorite band. I've been to a dozen of their concerts over the years...got my parents hooked on them to the point they became "groupies," and would travel to various cities to see them. My father has since passed away, but some of my funnest memories was going to U2 concerts with him.

One of the best times was in 2001, we knew U2 always stayed at the Four Seasons, so since we were going to the concert my father booked a room for us all to stay. I've got some great pics of Bono and LMJ. The next morning after the show....U2 bought breakfast/room service for the guests of the hotel. Quite a treat and memory.

What I love most about U2 is...you NEVER know what to expect from them. I'm anxiously awaiting their upcoming album and tour. I could never pick a favorite song, too many great ones.

I don't always agree with Bono....but when you seperate his politics and listen to the music it's easy to be a fan. He does a lot of good deeds, so I have no problem listening when he speaks.

They are also the only band I will pay to be a fan of. Well worth the $40.00 membership fee.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Loved them up until Unforgettable Fire (which I really was a fan of that album).. Didn't like Joshua Tree and havent really enjoyed their music since.. Not questoning their talent but they jsut don't do it for me at all. I thoguht he Rattle and Hum stuff was pure garbage.. But Boy, October, War UF I really like.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

Ugh.  I own Boy, bought it back then....much like Pixies, I thought it was quality but to me not joyful i.e. you don't put it on at a party if you want people to dance.  "I Will Follow" is their moment of brilliance, IMO.  Never bought another of their records....to me, pedestrian, AOR rock, though very, very good pedestrian AOR rock.

Paul Hewitt himself?  I can't stand the effffing preaching, arrogant hypocrite.  I have a problem with rich, white, Western entertainers pretending they know more about poverty, politics, land management, colonial legacy, tribal history, etc. than the average intelligent college sophmore. 

And, as I'm sure you know, multi-millionaire Paul Hewitt channels most/all of U2's huge income through a Dutch tax avoidance scheme....yet still criticises others for doing the same thing.

As they say in Dublin "What's the difference between god and Bono?  God doesn't walk around Dublin thinking he's Bono."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I disagree.  I think Paul Hewitt is the poster child for hypocrisy:  http://www.ibtimes.com/bono-600m-net-worth-musician-whose-u2-band-poster-child-tax-avoidance-slams-big-oil-tax-avoidance

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Klaas. Show Klaas's posts

One thing I admire a lot about U2 is that all songs by U2 are credited to U2 and not just one or two band members (except for the lyrics which is usually credited to combinations of the Edge and Bono). There are no egos involved within this group.

This is very unlike some bands (and some of my favorite bands) where even when other band members were heavily involved in the composition of the song, they never received any credits for the song.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2013soxchamps. Show 2013soxchamps's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Ugh.  I own Boy, bought it back then....much like Pixies, I thought it was quality but to me not joyful i.e. you don't put it on at a party if you want people to dance.  "I Will Follow" is their moment of brilliance, IMO.  Never bought another of their records....to me, pedestrian, AOR rock, though very, very good pedestrian AOR rock.

Paul Hewitt himself?  I can't stand the effffing preaching, arrogant hypocrite.  I have a problem with rich, white, Western entertainers pretending they know more about poverty, politics, land management, colonial legacy, tribal history, etc. than the average intelligent college sophmore. 

And, as I'm sure you know, multi-millionaire Paul Hewitt channels most/all of U2's huge income through a Dutch tax avoidance scheme....yet still criticises others for doing the same thing.

As they say in Dublin "What's the difference between god and Bono?  God doesn't walk around Dublin thinking he's Bono."

[/QUOTE]

Paul Hewitt is a basketball coach.

Paul Hewson is Bono.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

In response to SonicsMonksLyresVicars' comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I disagree.  I think Paul Hewitt is the poster child for hypocrisy:  http://www.ibtimes.com/bono-600m-net-worth-musician-whose-u2-band-poster-child-tax-avoidance-slams-big-oil-tax-avoidance

[/QUOTE]

I must admit I didn't know this about him. So consider me enlightened and not at all surprised. Do-gooders and hypocrisy very often go hand in hand. Joe Jackson addressed this quite well in "Obvious Song".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxcjA01oGyw

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from SonicsMonksLyresVicars. Show SonicsMonksLyresVicars's posts

De puuuta madre!  I like the song so much I didn't listen to the lyrics, but I will.

I liked Joe Jackson a lot for 2-3 albums, then he went all David Jo on me.  That was around 33 years ago, ouch!, but JJ lost me then.  Haven't heard anything since....I think it's a cracking song, playing it for the 3rd time then bed, it's late here.

Thanks for enlightening me.... the things you don't know you don't know!

My only two issues (both very pro-JJ):  I know he's known to be a bit shy....but why show so much of the Hair Bear Bunch and so little of JJ?....but worse...why the backing vocals at the end?  Quality, but totally unnecessary.