Ultravox: More UK than US success?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Ultravox: More UK than US success?

Regardless of Ultravox's fame or success with the U.S. audience, I'd be surprised if at least some of you weren't fans at one time, during the height of the New Wave movement.   So many bands to compete with during that era; too many for Ultravox to rise to the top of the heap?

They are a great example, to me, of noticing the influence of a pre-cursor or peer-group bands, such as the Pet Shop Boys and even (to me) a little bit o' Roxy Music.  

The band experienced perhaps too much turnover?  Did they fly too far under the radar of other, more popular, more mainstream New Wave bands of that era; were their songs less "accessible" in terms of the musical content?   What do you think?

Also, if you were (or remain) a fan, they seem to have re-formed a few years ago, culminating in a new studio album, 'Brilliance', released in May of this year.

Thoughts, anyone?      

A review (nice) of the album, 'Brilliance', if you're interested:

"Ultravox may not be breaking much new ground with 'Brilliant' but would we want them to? What they have delivered is an assured, accomplished and extremely enjoyable album that plays to the band's many strengths, and as such it's already a definite contender for our album of the year."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Re: Ultravox: More UK than US success?

Only the few songs from various compilations...

...but I'll note Visage - an Ure/Currie side project - and the track, "Fade To Grey"... an early 80s classic with a stunning original dance mix.  Ambient gold.  (and ripe for a cover, imo)

Totally see the Roxy and PSB connections, too.  Good call.  Though I admit, my wife is the BNW expert in our house.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

Ultravox reminds me of the German Band Alphaville. I used to listen to them a lot back in the 80's, but lost track. They seemed to reside in the same Synth alt universe that Thomas Dolby among others inhabited. I remember the song "The Voice," was pretty big here, as was Vienna. I still like this type of music even though it may seem dated to some.

Speaking of Alphaville, I was amazed recently when I went to visit a family member at college. As I was walking into her dorm, I heard Alphaville playing. When I told her that I used to listen to the same album in school a long time ago, she was surprised. She told me that everyone listens to them. That is what love about music. It has a way of bringing the generations together.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

German synthpop rockers Kraftwerk spawned a whole wave of bands in the 80's. Ultravox is one of the few to have a popular song along with Gary Numan ( Cars). Later Depeche Mode would enjoy success with this style. A few other notable bands in this genre- Camouflage, Nitzer Ebb , Orchestral Manuevers in the Dark ( aka OMD), somewhat similar-Howard Jones, Pet Shop Boys , New Order, and Front 242 ( a much darker , aggressive , industrial style).

I love this style of music. Being a big fan of Science Fiction it just seems so futuristic ( even today).

Midge Ure released as solo CD 'Answers To Nothing' , the title song is just great....the rest of the disc is also quite good.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Ultravox: More UK than US success?:
    [QUOTE]German synthpop rockers Kraftwerk spawned a whole wave of bands in the 80's. Ultravox is one of the few to have a popular song along with Gary Numan ( Cars). Later Depeche Mode would enjoy success with this style. A few other notable bands in this genre- Camouflage, Nitzer Ebb , Orchestral Manuevers in the Dark ( aka OMD), somewhat similar-Howard Jones, Pet Shop Boys , New Order, and Front 242 ( a much darker , aggressive , industrial style). I love this style of music. Being a big fan of Science Fiction it just seems so futuristic ( even today). Midge Ure released as solo CD 'Answers To Nothing' , the title song is just great....the rest of the disc is also quite good.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Great, just great.  The bands that are off the beaten path -- those are the ones you always know.  Before I got to know you, I was surprised when you said you love this style of music; I wasn't aware, at that point, that your taste was so eclectic.  I wasn't that surprised re: New Order, though; moreso PSB.   I like your tie-in to sci-fi, too, which is something I never used to think about. 

On the website where I got the review for Ultravox's latest album, the name of the website is: This is Not Retro (80s music all grown up).   I don't check it that often, but I used to read the previous version of the website occasionally, before it morphed into this version.  It's fun to check it on a rolling basis.

Zilla, I like to bring up a the cool, obscure bands once in a while so you can see that I'm not a lemming (not that you thought I was, I HOPE hahaha) as far as my taste and (limited) knowledge of music is concerned.  :D

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In Response to Re: Ultravox: More UK than US success?:
    [QUOTE]Ultravox reminds me of the German Band Alphaville . I used to listen to them a lot back in the 80's, but lost track. They seemed to reside in the same Synth alt universe that Thomas Dolby among others inhabited. I remember the song " The Voice ," was pretty big here, as was Vienna. I still like this type of music even though it may seem dated to some. Speaking of Alphaville, I was amazed recently when I went to visit a family member at college. As I was walking into her dorm, I heard Alphaville playing. When I told her that I used to listen to the same album in school a long time ago, she was surprised. She told me that everyone listens to them. That is what love about music. It has a way of bringing the generations together.
    Posted by polar123[/QUOTE]

That is so funny.  Part of what makes that even more cute is that "everyone" probably thinks they discovered something truly obscure ... and there you are saying you know all about them.   HA.   Well, that also makes you the very hip family member, too.  

I mentioned a while back that a 19-year old guy I know was telling me about his two favorite bands:  The Smiths and Joy Division.   He knows loads of the lyrics to many, many songs, and said that both groups both really speak to his feelings.  Anyhow, he then asked me if I knew of either of the bands.  :)   I said, uh, yes.  

As for me, I am not familiar with Alphaville.  So, you know what that means.  Off I go ... thanks.  :)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Great band - influenced a lot of what was to come. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

yoga, I had a nice response to your post, but BDC was telling me I had to remove a "banned" word. I couldn't figure out what word it was. The pains of the "new" format continue!

I will try to re-post it tomorrow.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

In response to Ultravox: More UK than US success?:
    [QUOTE]yoga, I had a nice response to your post, but BDC was telling me I had to remove a "banned" word. I couldn't figure out what word it was. The pains of the "new" format continue!   

I will try to re-post it tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Zilla, I appreciate it.   I avoided posting yesterday for that, among other reasons.  I'll look forward to seeing what you have to say -- maybe the second try will be the charm.  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In response to Ultravox: More UK than US success?:
    [QUOTE]

In response to Ultravox: More UK than US success?:Thanks, Zilla, I appreciate it.   I avoided posting yesterday for that, among other reasons.  I'll look forward to seeing what you have to say -- maybe the second try will be the charm.  

"Limited" does not describe your knowledge of music at all. I think from my standpoint, you have a very good grasp of many genres of rock music. I remember a kid that worked wih me once took a college course in "Rock 'n' Roll History" , I sort of half-joked that I could teach that class. But, my interest in Rock music stems from my many years of listening to bands I like and reading many Rock related books , many of these gleaned from Antique shops, used book stores and yardsales. I would say that I may sound like an "expert" because I tend to comment on bands and genres I like , I shy away form conversations on artists I know little or nothing about....so even to a guy who has "grown up" with Rock music and has seen it through from infancy to maturity , I still have huge voids in my knowledge, as I don't listen much to artists I do not like , nor do I read much about them....this includes some "obsure groups" alond with some "not so obscure groups."

I think at your age ( I believe you said your a thirty-something young lady) , that your knowledge of Rock music is actually quite terrific.

Sections
Shortcuts