Under-Rated Bands

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Under-Rated Bands

The over-rated thread was interesting, but it is hard to place that value on a band who had major success.

Who are the bands that you feel are under-rated or looked past when reviewing the history of RnR.

Example - The Kinks are considered one of the greatest bands of all-time, but they are slighted when viewed in the same frame as The Beatles, Stones ad Who. Cheap Trick who came out during the trending of stadium rock to punk were/are an amazing band who except for the live album, never really got their due. ELP and YES are considered the kings of Prog Rock, but if it wasn't for King Crimson, these bands do not even get a shot at the championship belt.

Deep Purple - when compared to Sabbath and Zep, they always come in 3rd. But the diversity, innovation and power of this band takes a back seat to no one.

The Cars have almost been dismissed from the conversation, but they were as important a band to come out of the late 70's, early 80's as anyone else.

Who do you think has been passed by in history?

2. This post has been removed.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Re: Under-Rated Bands

Cheap Trick! very under rated......

NOTE: I loved the Cars until I saw them in concert 5 cardboard cut outs that didn't flinch for there contractual 45 minute gig - TOTAL studio band, creative and a huge part of the new wave seen but not a trail blazzer in terms of a "live" act....

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Defintiely agree with the Replacements.. I also think The Feelies never got their due. they are playing this Saturday at the Paradise in Boston. they usually play 3 hours. Great muisc for the ears...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

There are so many under-rated, or under-exposed artists.  I would start by listing artists that never quite broke through in the US, but have been very successful in the UK and/or Canada.  And some of those are Americans.  I think Steve Earle has been under-rated in the US because he's been difficult to pigeonhole genre-wise.

Robin Trower and Rory Gallagher are a couple of greats whose success stayed mainly on the other side of the pond.

There are a lot of really good Canadian artists who either can't break through in the US or don't even bother trying.  I think Canada is a great place to be for music because we are exposed to all the great music from the US, plus the UK and our own country. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I agree with HFnut on Rory Gallagher and especially Robin Trower.

I will add Graham Parker ( and the Rumour). Also the Jam and Joe Jackson.

Elvis Costello, Ramones, the Police and the Clash alway get a lot of praise for their contribution to this era of New Wave , but Parker, Jackson and the Jam recorded some great stuff from the late 70's into the 80's.

I think the early Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green , the Butterfield Blues Band and Ten Years After always get shafted also....they kind of get lost in the shuffle.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

In Response to Re: Under-Rated Bands:
    [QUOTE]I agree with HFnut on Rory Gallagher and especially Robin Trower. I will add Graham Parker ( and the Rumour). Also the Jam and Joe Jackson. Elvis Costello, Ramones, the Police and the Clash alway get a lot of praise for their contribution to this era of New Wave , but Parker, Jackson and the Jam recorded some great stuff from the late 70's into the 80's. I think the early Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green , the Butterfield Blues Band and Ten Years After always get shafted also....they kind of get lost in the shuffle.
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Yes, the Jam! Their music is as fresh today as it was then. Was there a better Mod/Revival record in the 80's then Sound Effects.? Though I am always curious why they label them as Punk, there really was nothing punk about them at all. And JE is dead on with the KINKS....

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Speaking of The Jam, I was only recently clued into the fact that Paul Weller was an original member of that band.  I was also clued into the resonance and length of his career.   

Not sure if he'd be considered under-rated, because his popularity seems to have been full-fledged in his native country and abroad; I'm not sure if he's ever hit that level of acclaim in the US.   If not, then he'd probably fit in with what would be termed under-rated for his career creds, which are vast.    

Does anyone know where he stands in the big picture?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Add to new wave cadre here:

Squeeze

This band never made an un-catchy song, and though their hits are pretty great (Singles - 45s and Under is a must-own, IMO), their album tracks aren't too shabby, either.  They added that element of R&B and hip soulfulness to the cooler-than-thou new wave.

A few more:

Blues Traveler

Supertramp

moe.

Guster

Gomez

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]Speaking of The Jam, I was only recently clued into the fact that Paul Weller was an original member of that band.  I was also clued into the resonance and length of his career.    Not sure if he'd be considered under-rated, because his popularity seems to have been full-fledged in his native country and abroad; I'm not sure if he's ever hit that level of acclaim in the US.   If not, then he'd probably fit in with what would be termed under-rated for his career creds, which are vast.     Does anyone know where he stands in the big picture?
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

I am by no means an expert on Weller (maybe Chilliwings would have a better perspective being from the UK), but he has a decent following here in the U.S, similar to say, Robert Palmer. But he is far more famous in Europe, and Aussieland/New Zealand. After leaving the Jam he founded Style Council, a good, but under the radar UK band. He seems to have found his niche these days with a very sharp, and good solo career. I saw him perform not to long ago and was amazed at the age of the audience. It ranged from teens in JAM shirts, to middies in Style Shirts, to beautiful women in Weller shirts to old folks who just love his music. 

He plays a lot of instruments and is actually a rather accomplished guitar player.

The guy puts on a great show, still looks like he is 25 for a guy with a 40 year-old career and does an amazing version of Wishing on a Star. But, its his acoustic/electric versions of the Jam's Monday, Malice and That"s Entertainment, etc,,, that most people come to see.

Not sure if he is underrated, but he is one of those performers that is hard to categorize.:)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Yes to..............

Joe Jackson, Squeeze and Supertramp..............I'll ad ELO too

and...

The Tubes
    KISS
    Joan Jett
    Pat Benatar
    REO Speedwagon

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

The Jam have always been one of my favorite bands. Their first Album in 77 In The City defintinely had some punk tones to it. Art School is a pretty punk song. they are definitely not given their due.. Paul Weller has niched out a pretty good solo career. While he still will play a couple of Jam tunes in his show (usually That's entertainment) it seems like he wants nothing to with reuniting. The other two memebrs Bruce Foxton and Rick Buckler recently toured with a new lead singer as the new Jam or something like that. They played Patriot place about a year or so ago.. I absolutley loved their first 4 albums. jsut average for me on the last two. Although I love ths song Ghosts form their last one..

Big fan of Squeeze and Joe Jackson as well..

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

I'll throw another name out there-- Johnny Marr.  I might be way off here, but---

Marr, is highly respected and influential, has had enormous success with the Smith's, etc. His guitar style is seen and copied by so many of today's indie/alts, yet he never seems to turn up on anyone list of the top guitar players. Does innovation not count? Every time you hear Radiohead, you hear Marr. Most teens don't even know who he is...

While probably not in the same class as some of the real greats (page etc) he is on a par with a player like the Edge, who is revered. I don't get it.  end rant..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]The critics always loved Paul Westerberg and the Replacements, but beyond that they never quite got their due.  But then it sounds like you're leaning towards influence on other bands as a big part of it.  In that regard they were more derivative than ground breaking I guess.  I always hear the Beatles in them, especially in solo Paul Westerberg, and some of my friends tell me I need my ears checked.  But that's what immediately comes to mind for me.
    Posted by SlimPickensIII[/QUOTE]
    Needless to say, I couldn't agree more.
    Best description of the Mats I ever heard was, "The Beatles meet the Clash." I thought that fit them perfectly.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

In Response to Under-Rated Bands:
    [QUOTE]The over-rated thread was interesting, but it is hard to place that value on a band who had major success. Who are the bands that you feel are under-rated or looked past when reviewing the history of RnR. Example - The Kinks are considered one of the greatest bands of all-time, but they are slighted when viewed in the same frame as The Beatles, Stones ad Who. Cheap Trick who came out during the trending of stadium rock to punk were/are an amazing band who except for the live album, never really got their due. ELP and YES are considered the kings of Prog Rock, but if it wasn't for King Crimson, these bands do not even get a shot at the championship belt. Deep Purple - when compared to Sabbath and Zep, they always come in 3rd. But the diversity, innovation and power of this band takes a back seat to no one. The Cars have almost been dismissed from the conversation, but they were as important a band to come out of the late 70's, early 80's as anyone else. Who do you think has been passed by in history?
    Posted by jesseyeric[/QUOTE]

I don't think these bands were underrated in their time, but I do agree that today, they all might not be fully appreciated.

And I'd add The Moody Blues to the list.

16. This post has been removed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Add to the list:

The The

The Smithereens

The Posies

My Bloody Valentine

The Beta Band

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Long before Beds are Burning, Midnight Oil was an amazing live act. Early stuff very underated

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Love Johnny Marr, Midnight Oil, The The, Smithereens, the Posies.

There was a reason they are categorized as "Alternative bands" and their is a reason why so many artists from this genre will never get the attention of mainstream and pop artists.

I do not think many of these bands are "under rated" amongst those who followed this style music, only "unappreciated" or "undiscovered" by most of the general public.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

I'd add Frank Zappa,Alice Cooper and NRBQ 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

A band I've always dug is Boston's own Buffalo Tom. Yet almost nobody know has ever heard of them.
    "Big Red Letter Day" was especially outstanding.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]A band I've always dug is Boston's own Buffalo Tom. Yet almost nobody know has ever heard of them. "Big Red Letter Day" was especially outstanding.
    Posted by LloydDobler[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Birdbrain was pretty cool, too.

I always thought '00s indie rock owed a lot to them.

Along the same lines, Built To Spill was another 90's alt standout.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Under-Rated Bands : Agreed. Birdbrain was pretty cool, too. I always thought '00s indie rock owed a lot to them. Along the same lines, Built To Spill was another 90's alt standout.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]
    Another good call! "Distopian Dream Girl" came on my iPod this morning on the way to work!
    A common denominator here is J Mascis of Dinosaur Jr., another excellent group.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from undead. Show undead's posts

Dokken

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[QUOTE] Dokken
    Posted by undead[/QUOTE]

I'll go along with that!