Van Halen vs Van Hagar?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

Van Halen vs Van Hagar?

Zilla wants to get some of the RSN fire on our music board. Rivalries is the best way to do that.

Who and why?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

Re: Van Halen vs Van Hagar?

In Response to Van Halen vs Van Hagar?:
    Zilla wants to get some of the RSN fire on our music board. Rivalries is the best way to do that. Who and why?
    Posted by jesseyeric

David Lee all the way. For my money he just fits better. Van Hagar did have a few gnarly tunes, Best of Both Worlds comes to mind, but it just doesn't sound as good to me.

What about the Gary Cherone Van Halen? I don't think I ever heard a single track on the radio. Or if I did I didn't even realize it. Maybe they should have tried to get the dude from AC/DC, what's his name, Brian Johnson?

Embarassed

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from softwareDevMusician. Show softwareDevMusician's posts

In Response to Re: Van Halen vs Van Hagar?:
    In Response to Van Halen vs Van Hagar? : David Lee all the way. For my money he just fits better. Van Hagar did have a few gnarly tunes, Best of Both Worlds comes to mind, but it just doesn't sound as good to me. What about the Gary Cherone Van Halen? I don't think I ever heard a single track on the radio. Or if I did I didn't even realize it. Maybe they should have tried to get the dude from AC/DC, what's his name, Brian Johnson?

I guess I just found the answer to my own question....from the Boston Globe article on the Comcast center:

"There was the much less chivalrous guy who threw up on me at the ill-fated Van Halen show that same year when poor Gary Cherone, with a blown-out voice, was forced to cancel the show 20 minutes into the performance."

so that's what happened. I don't recall ever hearing about that.
    Posted by softwareDevMusician

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

I actually liked Van Hagar better, maybe because I liked Sammy Hagar better than Van Halen when David Lee Roth was fronting the band. Never was a big Roth fan, so when Hagar replaced Roth, I started listening to them more.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

For pure bombast of RnR, Van Halen was the real deal. Musically, Van Hagar had better chops. Gary Cherrone - that was just awful.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

IMO:

David Lee Roth was a stupid clown, sure, especially in the latter days of the original VH line-up.  But, he was an awesome front man and the early VH albums, through Diver Down are sick.  Unchained, Cradle Will Rock,  Everybody Wants Some, Runnin' With the Devil ... these songs hold their own with any rock anthems.  Their live show (thanks to DLR and his stupid clown .. he also had soul) was the best arena rock act of the day. 

Van Hagar, I don't know man, there isn't one song they every played that didn't sound like over-produced, highly-calculated pop drivel.  Vocals with no character.  Plodding arrangements.  And Eddie's once-distinctive guitar stylings basically washed into a sea of non-descript compressed mud.  I mean, they all looked really happy with teh whole situation, but there was nothing nasty about that band at all.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jesseyeric. Show jesseyeric's posts

In Response to Re: Van Halen vs Van Hagar?:
    IMO: David Lee Roth was a stupid clown, sure, especially in the latter days of the original VH line-up.  But, he was an awesome front man and the early VH albums, through Diver Down are sick.  Unchained, Cradle Will Rock,  Everybody Wants Some, Runnin' With the Devil ... these songs hold their own with any rock anthems.  Their live show (thanks to DLR and his stupid clown .. he also had soul) was the best arena rock act of the day.  Van Hagar, I don't know man, there isn't one song they every played that didn't sound like over-produced, highly-calculated pop drivel.  Vocals with no character.  Plodding arrangements.  And Eddie's once-distinctive guitar stylings basically washed into a sea of non-descript compressed mud.  I mean, they all looked really happy with teh whole situation, but there was nothing nasty about that band at all.
    Posted by SpacemanEephus

Good take Spaceman. You are definitely a welcome addition here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Zilla wants to get some of the RSN fire on our music board. Rivalries is the best way to do that. Who and why?
    Posted by jesseyeric

Jessey I think you're too nice for this.  If you really want to stir up trouble between rival factions here you do it by starting a thread like this:

Eric Clapton Is So Overrated!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Posted by jesseyeric

Zil wants some fire here? Be careful what you wish for. I'm not really a big Van Anything fan. Roth is a clown and Hagar is a meathead. Two of the most annoying, laughable, egotistical "singers" ever to front a successful rock band. Van Halen had hits despite their lead singers, not because of them. Pick your poison, I say. I happen to prefer their pop hits because that's pretty much all I ever bothered to listen to from them.

How's that for adding some fire?
    Yell

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Somebody wants an argument, but I am in a good mood today and I like Hfsoxnut too much to believe he really means that crack about Clapton.

So I will let it pass and stay on topic.

Van Halen is all about the guitar playing of Eddie, but David Lee Roth was a great front man for this band. I am not a big Hagar fan, but he's alright, just not the personality that Roth is.

A really good front man can make a great group better ( this was mentioned on the Deep Purple thread). One group that had to make a change and actually didn't miss a beat was AC/DC. Brian Johnson was not as good as Bon Scott, but he was a very capable replacement.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

Zilla that crack was a joke of course, referring back to another thread where some trouble got stirred up about Mr. Clapton.      

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from NumbaFouwer. Show NumbaFouwer's posts

Van Halen with David Lee Roth was way better because he was way cooler than Hagar.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

David Lee Roth was made for MTV and he was the perfect foil for Eddie and the whole guitar masturbation era.

Sammy Haggar rocked harder, but he couldn't captivate an audience the way Dave TV could and he exposed Eddie for what he was . . .  a one-trick pony.

The early Van Halen is well regarded as the music that took us from Led Zeppelin into whatever the '80s were. There is absolutely no comparison as far as influence is concerned. You might like Van Haggar better, and no one could argue a matter of taste . . .  but Van Haggar wasn't Van Halen.

End of story.

And please . . .

please . . .

please . . .

do not turn our music forum into the Red sox board.

please.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LloydDobler. Show LloydDobler's posts

I'm not sure how much he had to do with it, but I think Van Halen was just better when David Lee was there -- the first time, that is. Their first three albums in particular were just terrific. I never cared for his on-stage persona, but his vocals fit better than Sammy Hagar's screech.

Oh, speaking of which, somebody remind to put "I Can't Drive 55" on the "Songs You Hate" thread.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

David is the better front-man but Sammy makes a better Tequila.

Sections
Shortcuts