Very sad news,Disco Diva Donna Summer is dead at 63

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Very sad news,Disco Diva Donna Summer is dead at 63

Sad news. TMZ is reporting that Donna Summer has passed away in Florida this morning. She was reportedly battling cancer.I know a lot of people don't like Disco,but I enjoyed some of it.And Donna Summer was truly the Queen of the Disco era.Rest in Peace Donna.
      This is one of my favorite songs by her,the very sensual "Love to love you baby"

17 minute version:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5AztWseIdU&feature=related

3:30 minute version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPXizlnS7go&feature=related

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from GoneToTheDogs39. Show GoneToTheDogs39's posts

Re: Very sad news,Disco Diva Donna Summer is dead at 63

Sad.  She was a big part of the 70s.   "Last Dance."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

R.I.P.

Ms. Summer was indeed a bright jewel in Boston's musical crown.  I don't think it has anything to do with liking disco or not.  She was just a great singer and a lovely lady, period.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Very sad news. I love all of those great Donna Summer hits. I am an unabashed fan of Disco and while Donna Summer started in the genre she also recorded some flat out great pop and dance music. Sad that she died so young.

Here is one of her great recordings of a song she wrote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEV7TrhkZUk

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

I hate Disco more than almost anything....

...but this was sad news because this lady seemed very nice and she was real pretty with a great singing voice. I think of all the Disco acts, I could actually listen to this lady sing without having to switch the station.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from leafswin27. Show leafswin27's posts

Im kind of with Zilla here. Was never a fan of Disco or Donna Summer. But she seemd like a real nice person, with a great voice... Always sad when anyone passes.. regardless of who they are or what they did.. RIP Donna and am sorry for her family, friends and fans

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Sad news.  One of Boston's finest.  She seemed like a performer who was in it to make people happy with her music.  She did that disco ball proud.  

Peace and love to Donna and her musical legacy.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Not for nothing...

...but the album version of "Love To Love You Baby" is over 16 minutes long and takes up a whole LP side....sort of a disco-prog track, as it were.

One could look at that piece alone for a precursor of the re-mix culture in dance music and clubs that continues to this day.

Just as with any genre, the best examples seem to transcend their labels in impressive ways.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

In Response to Re: Very sad news,Disco Diva Donna Summer is dead at 63:
    [QUOTE]Not for nothing... ...but the album version of "Love To Love You Baby" is over 16 minutes long and takes up a whole LP side....sort of a disco-prog track, as it were. One could look at that piece alone for a precursor of the re-mix culture in dance music and clubs that continues to this day. Just as with any genre, the best examples seem to transcend their labels in impressive ways.
    Posted by MattyScornD[/QUOTE]

I think Disco and Prog Rock are really not that far apart, actually.

One is for people who want to move around in a goofy way when the work day is done, the other is for people who just want to get off their feet and relax after a day spent on tired achy feet.

But, I've always thought the lyrics in Disco are what kills it for me. I mean really , can't anyone come up with better words than "boogie, oogie, oogie , 'til you just can't boogie no more?"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Very sad news,Disco Diva Donna Summer is dead at 63 : I think Disco and Prog Rock are really not that far apart, actually. One is for people who want to move around in a goofy way when the work day is done, the other is for people who just want to get off their feet and relax after a day spent on tired achy feet. But, I've always thought the lyrics in Disco are what kills it for me. I mean really , can't anyone come up with better words than "boogie, oogie, oogie , 'til you just can't boogie no more?"
    Posted by ZILLAGOD[/QUOTE]

Not really.  And the emphasis was always on the beat, the groove, not the lyrics.

Some of the best lyrics ever are unintelligible.  And on the aforementioned track by Donna Summer (and most every Barry White song) the best vocal moments aren't even words.

All of which makes me wonder...is there a dance re-mix of BOC's "Godzilla"...?

Because if not, there darn well should be....

;)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from miscricket. Show miscricket's posts

I was saddened and shocked to hear the news earlier today. As someone who has always had a fondness for disco, Summer was someone I listened to all the time. I have so many memories associated with her songs..some happy..some wistful..but never sad.
    Funny about Love to Love You. I love that song and last year after I got my Ipod, it was one of the songs I downloaded. I created a "Disco playlist" and dragged it into there. Apparently, I inadvertently dragged it into my workout playlist. Imagine my surprise when halfway through my cardio workout, Love to Love you started playing. Distracting for sure..but I couldn't bring myself to switch it off..lol

There are not too many Donna Summer songs that I don't like. So much of her music was just great. However, my favorite Donna Summer song will always be "Sometimes I like Butterflies"....because sometimes..even I chase butterflies.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from royf19. Show royf19's posts

It was sad to hear the news.

I didn't really get into album/classic rock until around the end of my freshmen year of high school and into my sophomore year (1979). So before then, I listened to AM Top 40, so of course you got a whole bunch of stuff that was out in the 1970s, including disco.

Although some of it was OK -- always liked I Will Survive by Gloria Gaynor for some reason -- a lot of it was catchy and I didn't mind it for awhile: Bee Gees, Andy Gibb and Donna Summer among others.

And while I was never a big fan of it and grew tired of it quickly as my tastes were changing, I sort of like some of it more now when I hear certain songs, strictly from a nostalgia standpoint.

I always appreciated Donna Summer's talents. She had a great voice, and I new that even if I didn't like the genre after awhile, I knew she was spectacular in it. A great voice is a great voice, and she was very talented in whatever genre she sang.

She certainly blows away many -- not all -- of today's performers in the dance-music genre. Let's face it, all that disco is, is dance music, and every era has had that.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from newman09. Show newman09's posts

Like some here I too was not a huge fan of Disco, but there's no arguing she had some chops. It's sad to see stars from my childhood/youth pass away. Her songs, even when I hear just clips from them take me back to a MUCH simpler, and now sentimental time. RIP

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattyScornD. Show MattyScornD's posts

Judging by some of a missives on the inter-tubes, Ms. Summer will be sorely missed by a lot of different people.

In reading these, it's occurred to me that there are far more dance clubs and discos than there are rock-oriented clubs...not only in this country but worldwide.  The prevailing popular sounds - except for maybe hip-hop and country - is far and away dance music.

But disco seems to be the whipping boy that gets no quarter.  Maybe it's more of a product of those times, the culture, etc., but I think the music itself deserves more creative recognition than it seems to get.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

Ditto, Matty!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Very well said Matty! Disco was really kind of vilified during it's waning days.I remember the "Disco Demolition" debacle they had at Cominskey Park between double header games.They were blowing up Disco records and it almost ended up being a riot.
      Of course,Rock bands were also taking their shot at Disco too.Frank Zappa did "Dancing Fool",off the "Sheik Yerbouti" album and the Who chipped in with "Good -Bye Sister Disco" and "Long live rock". 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

I heard a 2003 (taped) interview (by chance, I was listening to the radio in my car)  with Donna today and it was crazy, so great.  I loooved her Boston accent  for one thing (understated Boston accent, so genuine) -- and the interview was eye-opening.  She sounded like such a lady, and a class act.   

Like the beloved, departed Whitney Houston, Donna's beginnings were in the church, both spiritually and musically.  She said that it was very hard for her when her handlers were giving her a "do-over" with a sexy image and it was an adjustment.  She was a model before she became a singer, and still, she was not accustomed to being glammed up.   She said that she could not get used to the the way people would throw underwear on the stage while she was performing (!), and that includes bras -- yes, that's right.  So funny.  People went crazy at her live shows.  She said she could not understand it, never expected it, and that it was unprecedented back in her day.  

Loved the interview.   Can only speak for myself, but I've never dissed disco.   I don't know why people berate it. It was a trend -- why all the hate mail?  A mystery to me.  So many of Donna's hits are part of classic rock.  The dance moves, too.  They are still a part of popular dance culture.  Hot Stuff.  

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

Donna Summer was a huge vocal talent, gonna be missed.

Disco found its way into some interesting groups/artists recordings......
    Get the FUNK! out.....

The Rolling Stones....Miss You
    Kiss.....I Was Made For Loving You
    Mike Oldfield....Guilty
    Pink Floyd....Run Like Hell
    The Jackson's Featuring Mick Jagger......State Of Shock (originally recorded with Freddie Mercury)

Disco is still alive and well, it's just called "dance music" now...........

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yogafriend. Show yogafriend's posts

Top Ten Artists of 1979

Donna Summer

The Bee Gees

Peaches And Herb

The Village People

Earth, Wind & Fire

The Doobie Brothers

The Knack

Chic

Styx

Blondie

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from polar123. Show polar123's posts

[QUOTE]Top Ten Artists of 1979  Donna Summer  The Bee Gees  Peaches And Herb  The Village People  Earth, Wind & Fire The Doobie Brothers  The Knack  Chic  Styx  Blondie
    Posted by yogafriend[/QUOTE]

Talk about underrated, EW&F, Just a great band.

Last nights Billboard Awards show kind of missed the boat I thought in their tributes to fallen artists. While the Houston tribute was touching with her kid and all, the poor girl performing the Summer tribute was cut off in while she was still singing and they went to a commercial. And did they even mention Gibb? If so I must have dozed off as the show was so boring.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

Polar,there was a mention of Gibbs,but they failed to mention Davey Jones and Dick Clark.I think both of them deserved an acknowledgement.
    Absolutely agree about EW+F too

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from RogerTaylor. Show RogerTaylor's posts

If you're looking for a true talent look no further......live and without a net!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E37kgmV4j2c

Madonna, Brittney Spears.......not even close!

Sections
Shortcuts